1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Any runners around here?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Ragusa, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I don't run. I like it once I'm in good shape, but I can't be arsed to keep up the training and running abilities deteriorate so quickly. ;)

I should really do more sports.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I am a runner but not the type you lot are talking about. I'm a sprinter so long distance exercises is actually 'bad' for my form.

Rather than run long distances I would do repetitions in a large sand pit (about 20m wide/long) sprint from end to end 10 times and rest for a minute then do it again about 5 more times. Sand pits make running harder so you get just as tired but faster and your train your muscles to be stronger but not as enduring. Really helps your agility too and I can do long distance just I don't like to train for long distance by running long distance. I simply just don't have the time.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Uytuun,
    there are these days when I try to persuade myself to stop when I'm running, along the line: The weather is rotten, I just ate, ugh, yes, yoghurt, and my knee hurts and, ugh, I think I feel like sick ... wouldn't it be a great idea to stop now, go home? Ugh, this is exausting. :rolleyes:

I started like that. I set my goals modestly at the beginning, trying to avoid frustration, and I didn't mind walking for a while until I caught my breath, to then continue running (I still don't). That is, I wanted to get over the distance first. Secondary rules: Speed is secondary and comes automatically over time. Stop when it hurts. No tour de force - that is: Stop when you're exausted, because going on increases risk to hurt yourself. Give your body a break, don't run daily.

Only goal in January: Run 3,5km, more if possible. In April I regularly ran my 5km. In May I zeroed in on 7km. In July I did for 10km the first time. Atm I'm struggling to zero in on 10km. Funny thing: I still have these days ... :shake:
    I think that condition in running comes remarkably fast when you have a decent BMI. Mine is 23. Side benefit, besides of feeling better: Since then I have also barely had a cold, a usual occupation in autum and winter of the previous years. And if I had one, it went away quickly.

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I run at basketball games and practises, but not much else. Unless I'm about to miss the subway.

5. Ragusa

Media:
    One of the reasons why I started running again, was that it almost always nearly killed me when I had to run to catch a train. No kidding.

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I do the occasional bit, but not particuaarly much.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I run only when I'm being chased, or when chasing after children. If the guy chasing me is cute, I'll even slow down. ;)

I much prefer two wheels to two feet.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I tried it a couple of times, not really my thing as I found it too boring. Not to mention the fact that I could get hit by a car considering all the side roads and the driving mentality of the people where I live. I prefer sticking to my one true sport-love: soccer.

9. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I ran about 5-10km once or twice a month. I would love to do more but I prefer biking and hiking more.

10. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I came into the Colosseum to see if there are any runners here and to ask some questions about running. Imagine my surprise to find this thread already started but abandoned by the looks of things. Hopefully one of you guys/gals can help me out.

I started running for distance just a few months ago and have worked myself up to 4 miles now. A problem I am having is now that I am running outside on hilly ground, I am having pain in my shins. What is the proper way to deal with running on hills?

11. Elthas Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@ Wiley One: Are you stretching before you run? Sounds like shin-splints, my friend. Slow warm-up and cool down jogs will help, as will lower body strength training. Also do plenty of downhill running to work your quads.

Every night I try to do at least 2-3 miles if I'm not weightlifting. Some days are better than others. I'm an old guy (33) and have been running since I was 13, so all of the times I neglected to stretch in the past are catching up with me!

12. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Yup, I broke out of prison three years ago, haven't stopped since. :p

Seriously, I run only in the weekends (5-9 km), but stretch and lift weights at least every other day, stretching became important after I started playing guitar (shoulders no-liky the weigth).

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I hate running. Hate it, hate it, hate it. It's one of the most boring activities one can engage in, IMO. My mind wanders after about 10 minutes, and I'm so bored all I can focus on is how tired I'm getting, and I stop. Besides - I've had shin splints since junior high, and running's always been a little painful for me.

I much prefer swimming (which I find infinitely more relaxing, and is the best cardio out there), circuit weight training, or sparring. Bike riding I enjoy a little more, but I don't do it often for the same reasons as running.

The one hard fitness truth I've learned over the years is, if any exercise makes you look at your watch more than twice in one minute to see how much longer you have before you can stop/rest, then it's time for something else. ;)

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'm planning on starting to run 5-7km or so a day again this summer. Doing this mainly as prep for basketball, but also because I've decided I'm too out of shape.

15. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I never was any good at running. Those damn tests when we had physical education, ugh! That said I was never in bad shape, I played football for a long period.

I picked it up again last year and play in the fourth team of the local club. Next year I'll play in the second team on the right middle wing, so I'll get plenty of running.

The thing is that I need a reason to run. Running just for the running doesn't work for me because there is absolutely no goal.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[edit]

right, just looked up and saw I've already posted here :doh:

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've just started running. I just decided enough is enough. I don't want to get fat, so I'm doing something about it now.

I used to run a lot, doing marathons, 100m sprints etc. I was pretty useful as well, but that's going back a good 6-7 years.

The last few runs I've done, it's incredible how out of shape I am. There's this nice woodland area near my house I run round, so it's basically cross country. The amount of times I have to stop! If it's not just being knackered, it's a pain I get in my lower calfs. Both just because of crappy fitness! I'm going to do that run every 2 days until I can run all the way around there without stopping once. Once I can do that, I'll go until I can run around it twice. That will end up being about a 1 hours run. I know that if I get to a point where I can run for an hour, I'll be fit and lose a bit of weight.

I'd piss that run back in the day... !

18. Ragusa

Media:
    Barmy :thumb:
    I stopped running for two months after getting the flu in february and I'm just now getting into it regularly again. My goal is at least twice a week, ideally three times. I like to give my body a day to rest. Even after the short break I notice that I have to work to get back where I stopped in February.

Office jobs, sitting arround all day, kill you slowly.

When I started runing early last year after years of no exercise whatsoever it was tough. Many stops, but that doesn't matter as long as you keep going. And I started for the same reason you did. I felt out of shape and when I had to run for a train, it nearly killed me, and add to that the sillyness of arriving at work out of breath. Now I do that little sprint to the right platform without sweating; breath and heartbeat return to normal quickly. That alone is a reward in itself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.