1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are those guys serious?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Oxymore, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

1- Yes, since early 80's, I was in catesismo (sorry, don't know how to spell it in english) and the priest told us that "Another one bites the dust" has an evil message.
    2- There is this movie, Al Pacino IIRC, he says something like this: The devil is bad? who said that? I'm just bad because Jesus has a good publicist.
    3- In any of the "Bibles" (I read several) says something like Jesus burning things or punishing people; why this churchs/priests do that? What gave them the power to do things that doesn't exist in any of their "Books"?
    4- Quote from one link in that article : http://www.chick.com/articles/dnd.asp
    "...For Christians, the first scriptural problem is the fact that Dungeons and Dragons violates the commandment of I Ths. 5:22 "Abstain from all appearance of evil..."
    Who, what, decides that D&D is evil?
    Better: is there a book, law that says that?
    All is just a matter of interpretation, so a guy "thinks" D&D is evil, what stops me to "interpretate" that posting here is evil... oh man... I always wanted to Jesus to resurrect again and see what his church has become, you know what? I think "some people" would kill him before anybody find out the return.

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH.

3. Fiatil Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yeah, GodRules44, you're really picking a fight with the wrong guy with that post, I personally am scared to death of ever being in an arguement with chev.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think GodRules44 just misunderstood Chev.

Christianity is a broad umbrella word. The people publishing that garbage on the web represent a small but vocal part of the Christian community.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Couldn't have said it better myself Nakia :p

6. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    oh man! That was so stupid! I also read the article "Straight talk on D&D", and it was worse! I honestly have no idea where he got half of his ravings. I mean, where the hell did he link rape and D&D?

I have no idea where this guy played his D&D games. They were probably all on acid! :D

Seriously, I think he just had a DM on crack... :)

Yes, of course. Paladins and other Lawful good characters are often seen pushing down old women and children out of their way to get out of a burning building... :rolleyes:

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Let me just sum up my argument in four words.

Ahem...

"ITS JUST A GAME!!!"

Sheesh. Well, extremes on both sides I suppose.

-EDIT-

Hey, reading other articles, he rebutts my statement.

Now thats a crock. :rolleyes:

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Not quite Jaguar. How many people have fallen into the 'trap' the writer is talking about? The 'trap' is when they believe real life is identical to D&D, when people start worshiping D&D gods and attempting to cast spells.

If D&D is this all consuming demon then the same must apply to all frantasy/sci-fi writers. Herbert was a heritic, Tolkien was possessed and Ed Greenwood is the devil himself for daring to create the Forgotten Realms!

Sounds catholic to me. I bet this guy's great-great-great-great-great-great... bla bla bla grand-daddy went around killing women for being witches. You know, those tests they have such as throwing a girl off a cliff and if she survives she's a witch... so they'll kill her... and if she doesn't survive then she wasn't a witch. You know what type of person I'm talking about. One who is so obsessed with his religion that it dictates everything, like logic.

Then again this does remind me of a certain flash comic I saw... http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=90046

In fact... I think this is where the article writer aquired all his information about D&D.

9. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

D&D like all things in life is to be taken in moderation. Anything can become "evil" if you take it too seriously. People are always going to see what they want in anything to further their agenda. The Bible is one example. It can be interpreted in so many ways. One group sees a message of love, tolerance and harmony between all people, and another group can see it as preaching segregation and dominance of one group of human beings over another. You also have to look at the context, it's a game, it's not to be taken seriously it's meant to be fun. Unfortunately all it takes sometimes is one group of people to take it to the extreme to ruin it for everyone. The same debate has come up many times and always will, whether it's D&D, Magic: The Gathering or religion, someone, somewhere is always going to object. All we can do is accept that that is their opinion not everyone's, respect it and live our lives the best way we can.

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Abomination, You are so right. This topic reminded me of the witch hunts. I could only laugh when I saw the movie in your link.

Yes, there are those who take D&D too seriously but IMO that is their personality and if there were no D&D they would find something else.

I remember when comic books were blamed for sadistic/unsocial behavior. My credo is: Take responsibility for what you do. Don't blame the Devil. You choose your path in life.

Anyone old enough to understand and play D&D has surely had some moral/religious training.

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I am sure that we all agree that Jack Chick's arguments aren't very sound, but what unnerves me is that lots of people who play RPG's sink to Chick's level and lash out with the same invective. About 6 months ago, I saw an angry rant on a D&D website against a quote from a Christian that said, [paraprasing here]"D&D promotes violence, sex, drugs, atheism, communism, Jewishness, and so on." The quote was pretty clear in that it was satirical, but a few RPG'ers took it seriously anyway, using it to fuel their anger at anyone who decide that playing D&D was wrong.

I agree with Istolil that D&D deserves moderation, and that anyone who plays it in excess needs some discipline in it. D&D isn't bad in its own right, but playing it to excess certainly is.

One last thing of interest is that no one I know (Christian or otherwise) has ever objected against D&D. I mentioned to one Christian, who is about 30 or so, that I played D&D and she just replied, "Oh, that's cool. My husband used to play that in high school." (Her husband was also Christian). Let's not equate religious people, even conservative ones, to people who hate D&D.

12. Jaguar Gems: 27/31

Veteran

@ Abomination

I suppose your right. But just because a few people crossed their realities and took the game too far, this guy starts ranting about how evil the game is.

Seriously, its Chaotic Good at worst. ;)

13. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Hey, my friend found something, take a look at this :
    :lol: :shake:

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Triactus, that's what you call 'legal-jitsu' of D&D avoiding the disgruntled parents' claims that gaming promotes violence in children that plagued computer games.

Jaguar, I don't like you referring to those individuals who link D&D and reality as 'people'. I am offended that you would classify them as the same type of creature as I am. Please refer to them as 'nutters', 'loonies' or 'law students' ( :p ).

I hope everyone realises that my comments were not directed any religion outside of the religious belief that Chick represents.

15. Jaguar Gems: 27/31

Veteran

And man, he is so in a religion and world all his own... :rolleyes: :D

16. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just wondering, what this people do in their lifes?
    With that criteria: watch "hollywod" movies; play computer games (or consoles), read newspapers, I don't know... "I see devil everywhere..."

17. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Unbelievable. Didn't even think about the link with Christianity. I feel redempted. :p

18. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You mean, people really do take this stuff that seriously? Oh, sorry Abomination, I meant to put 'law students' et al where I put 'people' there.

But seriously, the only thing I've ever really heard a Christian person speak against as being evil (beside the obvious of course) is Tarot. but then, that was my mother talking about a cousin of mine who is seriously strange anyway.

19. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

What is evil about Tarot then? I did it for a while amd it made me feel better, just like AD&D did...

This comic is just sick...

20. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

I think the problem with Tarot for my mum may have been that she just didn't understand it fully at the time. Or it may just have been the cousin in question more than the Tarot.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.