1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Attack on Iran inevitable?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Sarevok•, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Fel: The nukes were not employed against military targets. Military targets were available, but we elected to bomb two targets which served no strategic military purpose whatsoever. The intention of our attack was to frighten Japan into surrender. It worked.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Ah, I figured that was the distinction you were making, that we didn't even target a military installation with collateral civilian casualties but instead went straight at two civilian centers with no military value. It was a terrible thing to do, but as you said, it worked. And I definitely agree that it's a scary thing to think about, and I can only imagine what other countries think about it.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Iran, as a signatory to the NPT, will never admit they are trying to attain nuclear weapons, period. What they will say is they have every right to pursue peaceful nuclear tech to provide themselves with power, and they are right.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Fel

This whole concept of avoiding civilian casualties is relatively new, I'm guessing maybe 20 years. Before that (and that means thousands of years) if you were the enemy you were the enemy.

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's older than 20 years. The formal law about it is barely older than that, but the US broke the generally accepted conventions for fighting war when they bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Japan kept their attacks on us to Military Targets, for example.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

BTA:
    Heh, I'm not old enough to remember (being born 9 years after that incident), but I did a quick search, and it is sounding quite similar to this situation, except we have an arrogant power hungry government that's sole purpose is to make the world better in the eyes of rich, white, christian, traditional, conservative, leaders.

Which means, the government doesn't care about the safety of anyone but itself, and would be bombing it because they feel a responsibility (unwanted, I might add, by everyone) to fix everything they think is bad.

Iran has the right to make nuclear power... just not the right to make weapons. But bombing them is not a good solution... how about trying diplomacy?

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And you imagine that is not being done? Why do you suppose the IAEA has referred Iran to the Security Council over this?

Besides, bombing is another type of diplomacy :)

8. Saber

Well, I assume America isn't using Diplomacy... our government prefers bypassing all that helpful stuff :)

But, I am not an expert on nuclear weapons, governments, diplomacy, or Iran, so I think I'll keep any more comments to myself.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    No, no, don't keep your comments to yourself.

What I might suggest is that instead of listening and believing what you hear from those around you, read the newspaper or various online news sources and try to find the facts out for yourself (not always an easy thing). Then you can make up your own mind about how you think the world is working and how you think it should work.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ah, yes, the Imperial Japanese Army/Navy were big on following the rules of war as, oh, the folks in Nanking or their POW camps can attest.

Yes, that's sarcasm. No, I'm not saying "They did it too, so it's okay that we did". I am saying you want to be careful about putting the Japanese Empire up on any sort of moral pedestal.

You're right, bombing is an evil solution. It's just that sometimes it's the least evil solution. Whether this is one of those times...

11. Saber

What is a more evil solution than bombing, which will effectively do the job that they want to do with as little collateral? I am not necessarily refuting your statement, I just want to know what you find to me more ruthless.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    It'd be less evil to launch airstrikes against the pleasant folks in Darfur than it would be to (continue to) stand by and say, "yeah, sure, genocide. Have fun."

13. Saber

:confused: I thought we were talking about Iran, and about how bombing is a lesser evil... lesser than what? Genocide, OK, but we aren't planning a genocide against the people of Iran...

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why cant Iran have nukes? I dont trust them any less than Israel or Pakistan or the US for that matter.

15. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yes.. Bush led America is arguably the most dangerous nation in the world.

16. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

From a purely personal risk point of view, I trust Iran less. I am (almost) 100% sure that Israel, US and Pakistan aren't going to launch Nukes at the UK. I would be a lot less sure about Iran, particularly given certain comments made by their president.
    (Granted that they have neither nuclear weapons or the misile system capable of delivering them currently)

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Because they signed an agreement saying that they would not pursue nuclear weapons technology and have benefitted from doing so.

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    My point was merely that bombing can be a lesser evil, in response to your point that bombing is evil. Sudan/Darfur was merely an example I used to illustrate my point.

I made no claims about whether bombing would be a lesser evil with regard to Iran.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, bombing Iran using conventional weaponry seems a lesser than say, Iran detonating a nuclear warhead in Israel. With the assumption that the bombing would prevent Iran from producing nuclear materials.

20. Saber

Right-o, sorry, I thought you meant that in this situation, there was an alternative. In this case, we couldn't do too much worse than bombing that is more effective, could we?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.