1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Attack on Iran inevitable?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Sarevokā€¢, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Excuse me but IIRC the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagashaki happened when Japan was de facto beaten and the majority of its Navy was underwater providing shelter to fish.
    Furthermore the islands that Japan hold in Pacific were conquered by US troops (in very blooded battles) and Japan was offered the chance to surrender and they were considering it but they were reluctant.
    The nuking of these two cities happened for a very different reason and you know it. It was a show of power to the next big threat that US administration foresaw (call me comrade Stahlin).
    As for who is supposed to have nukes or not, i want to ask a question.
    Why is right for Israel to have nukes?

Is there a specific reason? And don't anyone tell me for defence, because the fact that Israel has nukes has driven the Iranian goverment in seeking their own toys.

If Israel did not had any nukes then there would not be that constant fear of the Muslims around there that one day they might wake up by a huge smoke mushroom.

And if you wonder why i say that, and i don't involve US in this game just follow this.

Israel is the only country in the region that has bad relationship with every other nation of the territory. Is the only nation that has a continuing history of attacking within Palestine and Syria and Iran. So it is a valid threat for these nations and a bigger one than US.

That is why Irans president is mainly throwing arrows against Israel. He knows that US and the rest of the western world, especially after what happened and still happens in Iraq they will try to play by the book as much as they can.

But Israel for his point of view is not an honest player. and maybe he is right maybe not, but at this point he is the one who is playing the game.

Is Iran dangerous in the possibility of having nukes?
    Yes as much as it is Israel, Pakistan, China, USA, Great Britain, and any other country that allready posseses nukes.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As has been mentioned many times already, Iran cannot have nuclear weapons because they signed an agreement saying that they would not pursue such technology. Israel, India and Pakistan did not sign the treaty. The US, Russia, China, France and Britain alread had nuclear weapons technology when the treaty was created so their responsibilities under the treaty are different than the other signatories.

Israel has never admitted to having nuclear weapons, nor have they tested a nuclear weapon AFAIK, so it is merely an assumption that they have the technology.

And the claim that one country with nukes is as dangerous as any other country with them is ludicrous. It is not only the weapons technology itself that is important, it is the control over the spread of the technology.

3. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually, no, Japan and its military would not have surrendered until the US had conquered all of Japan. Look at how well small contingents dug in at Iwa Jima, 8000 US casualties vs 500 Japanese troops. Now expand this all the way to Tokyo. While the nukes were a tragedy, they did end the war earlier and saved many lives, military and civilian, on both sides. Yes, we were showing the world that a superpower had arrived, but it was a necessity, no matter how left wing history looks back on it now.

It amazes me how short memories are in Europe. If you hadn't kissed Hitler a$$ with diplomacy for so lond, we might have avoided WWII. Look, there are some really CRAZY people in this world and every once in a while they become a leader of some country. Then the put their crazy schemes for world domination(see N Korea) or distruction of the Jews (Hitler and Iran) or Narcissism (Chavez in Venezuela). Sometimes someone has to stand up to the new bully on the block and lately it been Europes big brother, the US. Hey, you have the right to fear reprisals, you are closer to them than we are, but each time you back down to their demands ( thats you Spain and Italy) you give them new power over you. Why do you just surrender to them and become a Muslim theocracy? (Just kidding France, don't get any ideas)

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Erm, I wouldn't start flaming the Europeans on this thread.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Which "left wing history" would that be? I seem to recall Truman as being a Democrat. Your comment about some European nations, while a bit off topic, is valid, considering what happened at Munich. Yet, America did little regarding Hilter as well.

Yeah, the country I live in comes to mind, atm. Oh, sorry, "just kidding."

The topic is America and Iran, for those who are still interested (hint).

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    There were roughly 22,000 Japanese defenders on Iwo Jima. Nearly all of them perished. There were 25,851 US casualties, of which 6,825 were KIAs.

The firebombing raids on Tokyo and environs generated more short-term deaths than did the nukings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined.

Or to put it another way, as more nations acquire nukes it becomes more likely that nukes will be used in anger (again).

7. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Remember, the Dems were concervative until Hubert Humphrey.

Erm, I wouldn't start flaming the Europeans on this thread. Sorry, not flaming anyone on this board, just debating the countries political lack of will.

Hey, much of the politically correct world may disagree with the US's actions, but imagine the world if the US had returned to its isolationist stance of the early 20th century after WWII. The Soviets would have big the big dog on the block and that "bloc" would have been straining towards France to the west and Greece to the south.

Back on topic, doesn't anyone wonder why Iran makes weekly announcements on the "scientific" achievements? Its as if they are lookinh for a conflict. If I were a third world country on the West's watchlist, and I were developing nuclear technology, I would just wait until I finished, then announce it to the world to back off, I got the nukes too.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    No, sorry. I don't remember that. But I do remember Social Security, the New Deal, labor reform and civil rights. Conservative? Hardly.

9. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Funny, you pretty much round up one of main arguements of the reasons brought up in public to appease Germany. Of course you are not aware of it, but hey, no one's perfect. Just replace US with Germany and now, what dog would keep the Russian bear away?

10. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree with you but i also extend it because simply it takes a crazy enough person to instrumentate a plot to gain access to a nuclear warhead or even worse to fire it up. So any country which has nukes is a potential danger due to its people (the crazy ones) mainly.

It is an assumption because Israel instead of Iran has the "right" to impend the inspections of IAEA.
    And the whole story can be found here
    I don't claim that this story proves anything else other than the fact that Israel most propably does have nukes. But we all know that if they do and they want to keep it a secret, they have proven that they can. And frankly Israel has never denied or accepted these rumours leaving them linger on above the territory for their own reasons. So even if they don't have (which i sincerely doubt) they do look like they do have.

And i guess that USA goverment that kissed Japans a$$ for so long before their attack on Perl Harbour does not put them in the same category you have put the European goverments of that era.
    Or you again selectively forget that Europes most nations were allready torn apart by WW I and had enough problems (domestically speaking), to hinder them from looking outside their own front yard.

And then you again forget that here in Europe the war was fought right outside and inside our homes. And many villages and cities were wipped out of the map. Can you understand the difference?

Then again North Koreans world domination plans is something i hear for the very first time, it seems that i live in a different world. All i knew is that N. Korea sought to produce energy from nuclear facilities (ok granted weapons would have been the next logical step) and that was a big fear of the US administration, not the world.

As for Chaves i guess that we see it from a different point of view. I see a guy who wants the best for his country and the people that live in it. Too bad he is not licking US hand :rolleyes: .
    I guess that classifies him as a narcissist, since he does not care about the US interests and cares for Venezuelian interests.

As for the rest suggestions you make i find them at least biased and pointless. You should start looking in USA were the President has direct conversations with God. If that is not a sign of a theocracy then i don't know what is.

And as for Iran to get back in topic the whole thing is a little exaggerated. Even if they plan to acquire nuclear weapon capabilities (which they do) they are not near yet.
    It is wise that the IAEA is worried from now, but to say that we will get to extreme measures from so early is not a good sign.
    After all, not all the diplomatic and more peacefull pressure options have been used. It is rudiculous to say that a war is inevitable from now.

At this point neither side is willing to get into war. And i believe that in the next few years the situation will not alter that much. Unless something really big happens.

11. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Am I the only one who remembers that, after Iraq did exactly what we told them to do, we went to war anyway?
    I seem to remember a "disarm or we will invade" ultimatum being issued 3 days before we invaded. Saddam disarmed the weapons in question. We invaded anyway.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not to derail this thread about Iran, but it was more "comply with the UN resolutions or face serious consequences". The UN never agreed that Iraq complied with what was required.

13. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

In old Europe we feel it's absurd and inconsistent to deride the UN as inconsequential (or whatever the Bush called it), but then wage illegal wars in its name...

Must be the hairsplitting that old, forgetful Europe seems prone of. :)

14. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

from a posting way back
    Iran wants nukes for prestige and power on the international stage (so they can throw their weight around more easily). Basically so it can tell the rest of the world (USA) 'go screw yourself', and not be worried about consequences (i.e., the marines).

It is probably a bad ideea (since it increase the risk of proliferation, destabilizes the mideast, any number of reasons), but I would think it is not enough reason for going to war.

Oh, and Europe (and Russia) should be much more worried that US about Iran.

15. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Iran would survive a nuclear attack on an European nation as much as nuking the US. I am sure they are aware of that.

There is reason for all to worry, though. Pakistan, however, is an ally of the US, so hush.

16. D171087 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

nuke do they really had any of it ?? and do we need any of it ?? why dont we all life in a peacefull world ?? argh.. this all this is so much... urgh... dunno what to say again...

damn war...

who start it all anyway ?? any idea ??

17. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    D171087: Countries don't have their armies so that they might attack. But a country with no army will sooner or later have a suddenly hostile neighbour crossing its borders.

As for Iran, well. If they obtain nuclear weapons, the whole middle east will be announcing "we have 'em, too!"

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Personally, I think it all started back in around 1915 or so, and I blame the French and British.

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I take it this is a sarcastic comment - always hard to tell online :lol: .

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Probably not. The English and French were the two countries that were primarily responsible for carving the map of the Middle East that we know today, and actually set the boundaries of modern day Iraq around the time of WWI. Of course, Iran was not created by European imperialism - they've pretty much had the same national borders for around 1000 years now - so if that's your point, then it is valid.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.