1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bad music that the world loves it seems!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Apeman, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I don't want even to hear about Gimmel.
    Or from Britney spears.

-Taza
    (Even doctors do not want to see MY medical files)

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Skunt rock. The thing these so called cool people and woths listen to now. I remember when liking rock got you ostracised in school and stuff. Why has rock went so downhill? :(

Flame over :p

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Justin Timberlake is a prettyboy git.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    ...who's not even all that pretty, imo! :lol:

[ January 10, 2003, 18:37: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

5. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I must say I have a real problem with people who claim that contemporary music isn't art. Keep in mind, I do not enjoy the music of people like Brittany or Christina or Justin, nor do I have any respect for their talent [or lack thereof]. What I do have respect for, however, is their charisma.

This has been a long held debate between me and my friends, all of whom detest Ska music. For those of you who don't know what Ska is, it is a dominantly West-coast American music style that is a bit of a combination of Punk rock and Swing dancing. Electric guitars and horns, like, say, how No Doubt USED to be. It's not all that popular [I don't see it on MTV], and my friends don't enjoy it, they say that it is basically at the same skill level as punk [though i thoroughly disagree there] and is just garbage. But if you've ever been to a Ska show, i.e. Aquabats, Suburban Legends, etc... you will see the frenzy that the people enter when the bands start to play. People dance and skank and jump and whip their heads around and have a good time [this is not like a mosh pit, people are, oddly enough, extremely friendly even to strangers, like lifting them up if they fall while skanking or cheering them on when they're dancin' up a storm] while listening to horn melodies and rockin' rythms and often words that they can relate with.

What is music? Is music some noise played by someone talented? If that was the case, I'd like to see most musicians measure up to world-famous pianists. I hate that piano crap, it doesn't appeal to me. I respect their talent, and I can see how maybe other people might like it, but I'm not going to listen to their music because I don't enjoy it. For me, music is something that evokes emotions out of you, something that can make you dance and sing and feel something. If any music has that ability for anyone, not just you- how can you deny that it has some merit as art?

If listening to Brittany Spears makes some girls or guys want to get out on the dance floor and shake their groove things, how can you not have respect for that? People have different tastes, and attacking the fact that they like music that doesn't take as much talent as yours is simple-minded, self-centered, and mostly, inconsequential.

If I liked vanilla ice cream, and you liked chocolate, would it make sense for you to tell me that I'm stupid and that I should like chocolate because vanilla is so bland? I don't, I won't, and what difference does it make to you which I prefer? I prefer that which suits me best.

If you don't like vanilla, that's all good and fine, but there are some people who do, for whatever reason, and they are entitled to enjoy it just as much as you are entitled to not.

My fav bands, for the record:
    1) Bad Religion
    2) Aquabats
    3) Metallica [M.o.P. and R.t.L. era]
    4) Weezer
    5) Flogging Molly

Amon-Ra

[ January 10, 2003, 19:39: Message edited by: Amon-Ra ]

6. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Amon-Ra, I didn't say that contemporary music in general isn't art. That was reserved for today's manufactured music...

Defining music as an art form is very hard, probably impossible, because every person has it's own interpretation of it.
    But, I'd probably respect more the definition that an experienced and skilled musician could give, than the one of a layman with a Mtv-based cd in his hand.

And you are right - who says that the music that appeals to just about everyone and makes them feel something isn't art? It truely is art. The art of making money. :rolleyes:
    Same as the major Hollywood studios organise pre-screenings of their blockbusters in order to satisfy the public more and assure a bigger theater success, so does the music industry know in every detail what satisfies it's tatget public and makes them 'feel' something.

Heck, someone has to make music for the teen who complains that The Two Towers would be great if it was an hour and a half shorter...

7. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

eNd Stink, Backside Boys, Britney, Christina, and other wannabes'. Korn is about as pleasing as going to a dentist.

I do like Kylie, but only the music videos with the sound off. :D

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Touche :D

The saddest thing is still those teens being brainwashed by a major record company to buy the records. And of course MTV and others playing the songs in general 24 hours a day 3 time the hour :mad:

That's why I don't listen to it naturally :cool:

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

All pop, rap, hiphop, rnb, metal and all the others commercial massproduces crap would be forbidden if I had a country. If I EVER gets kids they will all be banned. So will MTV and all the other music channels. Thank for the good ol' Swedish punk.

[ January 11, 2003, 17:46: Message edited by: Ivanji, son of Loki ]

10. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Actually, Britney, albeit after 2 years of trying to convince everyone she was a virgin even though all the headlines in this magazine named her: doing drugs, stripping in public, problems with her father and so on, had admitted she was not a virgin and was sorry for even saying she was.

On the subject, Justin has become really big, and she's really dying out, she's hooked up with Justin again - publicity and money purposes, obviously.

Well, I'm fully aware I listen - and love - mainstream R&B. There's nothing wrong with it, I like to dance and the mainstream stuff supplies too much dance beats.

11. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I could have typed miles of text about which music I don't like, but since I am a nice girl I won't.

Jes HAVE to say that I think Britney Spears is the most sluttish girl/woman/thing on EARTH!
    If I were to meet her I'll kick her fat ass, literally, and tell her exactly what I think about her. Yeah yeah, my friends say it too: You wouldn't dare...
    Why the hell NOT!?
    /me explodes

Okay, lets just say I really hate her, yes you can "really hate" people, and that I think she gives the song "I love rock 'n roll" a REALLY BAD NAME.
    I mean, she like ****s the veiwers when she sings it...BLEH ON HER!

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    the Cheeky song is new and is still hilarious. (I didn't say good. I said hilarious)

However I have a feeling it'll end up like The Ketchup song, extremely annoying after you heard it for the fifth time that day.

Anyhow I don't really listen to music all that much. For example I had had my stereo for 3 years when I listened to the radio for the first time. I have recently discovered Röyksopp though and I really like them.

oh and Dutchies, we have brought you Kabouter Plop and K3. Imagine what other horrible things we can do. :p

13. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Eilonwy, I agree. I also don't like Peeplake and Craig David and Nelly and all those, who think they're the best. JLo is a stuckup slut, who thinks that she can praise herself in her songs. Listen to the Matrix OST. That's music, what I like. Also Bomfunk and Nickelback are good. Their lyrics actually HAVE a meaning, while others dont.*coughNellysHotINherecough*

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Actually when i think about it, I like most ranges of music. But if i had to pinpoint something i 'generally' don't like, that is:

R&B
    HipHop
    Reality Television created bands i.e. One True Voice from Pop Idol
    Surprisingly, I'm also not too much into old school punk. Though i do like the Clash
    Death Metal

What i totally don't like:

Jazz
    Garage :D

Apart from that, I love Enya style of music to some hard rock ...

15. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Yeah thanks for brainwashing out kids ;)

16. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Ever notice how really bad songs have vidoes you can watch if you turn the volume all the way down? Methinks eye candy is being used to try to get us to think listening to that song makes you beautiful. Nothing can help me though, born ugly, die uglier, but take most of them with me ;)

17. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    [​IMG] Apeman,Yeah I heard that they are quite popular in Holland, but brainwashing?
    All the little kids doing the plop dance and singing 'Heya mama hiye-ah'. the horror. I appologize for what we've done to you in the name of the nation. :D

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually Kathleen, Karin and Kristel (K3) are loosers. Their music was ment for a somewhat older public. Now 3 to 10 year old girls are going insane. Me too, in a different kind of way. There is a video tape running all day in my shop. Makes me freakin nuts!

Kabouter Plop is even worse: Ment for a young public, the Kabouterdans turned adults into childish morons, moving like rutting apes and destroying all hope for a normal society.
    Doesn't that sound like brainwashing? ;)

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31

That's okay dude, we'll send Frans Bauer to Belgium. Let's see how you like that. :D

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Scarampella ; Bond is that babe-licious quartet of classically-trained musicians who plays jazzed-up arrangements. They get attention every June because they're linked to a watch comlpany that advertises heavily during Wimbeldon. I bought a disc and some pieces are pretty good, but overall I won't buy any more.

In general, why do you people know so much about music you hate? Unless you're a captive audiene to someone else's music choices, why do you listen to music you don't enjoy? Change the freakin' station, already, or put in a CD!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.