1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 2 is dead (for me)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Death Rabbit, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Final Fantasy 7 is an excellent game, if you can get past the goofy dated graphics. One of the best stories of any game out there. Certainly one of the best scores, too.

2. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

in my humble opinion, only final fantasy 4 & 6 are worth the play, i find the others to be terrible crap

3. Morthond Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    Hmm yeah. I've been playing the Baldur's gate series very often for the last 5 years, but I haven't lost much interest.

That might be because I end up remaking characters so much. I've completed Baldur's gate 1 just twice (F/T and Ranger), BGTutu once, TotSC never (only just got it), BG2 SoA twice (both solo - elven F/M/T and dwarven battlerager), never ToB. Pretty bad in 5 years hah :p

4. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Heh. I'm not actually expecting to finish SOA with my under-statted, evil half-elf jester, let alone TOB. But I'll have fun along the way, testing strange and wonderful mods and weird strategies :)

Finished SOA just the once, six years ago, with an increasingly irrelevant single-classed human swashbuckler... not exactly the epitome of unbridled power.

5. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

id really like to try at least once to finish the entire saga with just my character alone, either a monk or a kensai, wrecking havoc evryplace i send him to, making him wear the best equipement and collecting the most powerful artifacts and weaponry ever, slaying dragons single handedly, gosh that would be pretty wild

but eventually i know it would just end up with me constantly ranting at him everytime he gets mind numbed/confused/imobilized and i d just be stressed out and go nuts in the long run

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

BG2 is only a game, however great and magnificient, you can stop playing or even uninstall it if you know everything and tried everything about the game. I thikn it would not be considered blasphemy, but I recommend you keep it installed on your system for the good old days. :)

@sikret

Uh I did not know that tactics and improved battles were incompatible. Well this can explain some queer things going in my game, but luckily I haven't seen any massive bug up to now:plus I have unisntalled some of the needless mods, and my game really relaxed now:it plays/loads a lot faster, and a few annoying glitches are also fixed.

7. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Reading that first post by Death Rabbit made me feel like I could've written it myself. I've been like that for the last few months... I never really played through the whole saga with a single character, usually I'd just skip BG.

So I decided that this time I'd make an interesting character (a new Hethan, not a Skald, though). And I'm sticking to only 4 party members, including me. Had to make some painful decisions (and I'm really not sure if I'll be able to send Minsc away to get that old friend comes ToB), but it sounds promising. I'm doing it on BGT, without any experience fixer (yes, kinda overpowered for BG1, but to compensate, I installed some mods to increase the difficulty in BG2 - so all that extra levels will actually *have* to make a difference). I'm also trying the Accension mod for the first time, with all the improved enemies. I'm a bit afraid of Abazigal now, to be honest.

But you should note that I'm not TOO excited about it. Every time I start a game I think I'm missing out on something else and I fear I'll just not have the patience to replay it so many times to do all the things I'd like my charname to do. A shame, that.

Well there's always IWD2... hmm.

8. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Yeah, I have a bit of BG fatigue too- I get bored having to do the same dungeons again, knowing how everything will happen. Only playing through mod characters has kept me interested in this game.

@Hethan the Skald:

I use Ascension and, to be honest, Abazigal isn't half as scary as he sounds. Can be tough, but at that point a multi-dragon battle isn't the suicidal move it was a while ago. Improved Sendai from Oversight on the other hand is a lady to be scared of. So much so I believe her to be overpowered in comparison to the other members of the Five. A shame really- she ends up either under-powered or over-powered depending on what you installed.

9. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

@Decados: hey that's good to know. Remembering the hard time I had the first time I fought Draconis (he's actually harder than Abazigal himself, isn't he?), I was afraid the Improved Abazigal would be impossible.

About Sendai: I don't know, I had a pretty hard time with her on the unmodded game (took me a good 5-6 reloads), I'm not sure I would call her underpowered. But then, I'm not exactly a great strategist. I have the oversight installer here, maybe I should give the improved version a try...

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Oh you should play the Improved Sendai from Oversight on Insane difficulty! (her tactics and abilities vary greatly according to difficulty setting, and on insane she does not care about rules of the game, or the limitations of the engine, her only intention is kicking your butt! :evil: ) Then you will see if BG2 is boring or not. She is the most scary and powerful of the five!

Other Ascension battles are cool too, Improved Yaga-shura (or Improved Fire Giants in general from tactics AND Imp. battles mods) is a very epic and cool battle which you struggle for your life. Oh, and about Improved Fire Giants. (get it from tactics AND Improved Battles) I used the very wrong tactic, and a single of them slaughtered four of my party members permanently (massive damage, no ressurection is allowed, gone forever) within a minute, and I was playing on core difficulty! :eek:

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Not everyone finds improving the difficulty increases the interest of the game.

12. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I hit that same problem Death Rabbit, but every 2-6 months I play through BG again once or twice... or thrice, etc. haha :p .

It's my favorite game of all time. When I get bored with it I revive diablo2 and WC3. I'm also playing WoW right now, but I always find time for other things :) .

13. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    @ Hethan:

I'd get good at defeating her at the original difficulty before even trying Oversight's Sendai. She tore me apart the first few times I played against her until I got lucky and killed her.

@ Silverstar:

Your preferred game is more of a tactical challenge than a role-playing one!
    ;)

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

@Decados:

Hey, I also try to RP with my character in game, a lot infact. But I do so love tactical challenges and vastly difficult battles introdcued by mods, and all those fresh air courtesy of NPC mods. My modded BG2 always fills me with joy and excitement. I seriously do not think I would be able to play a non-modded game ever. Even when on insane and soloing, I think it would come way tooo easy, and I am loathe to say this but, boring to me. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.