1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Being truly evil

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Confirmer9, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Regarding the whole "low reputation should cause fear" issue, in first edition AD&D the fear reaction is tied to powerful beings with extremely low charisma, and neither power nor charisma affect reputation in SOA. Don't know how it works in second and third edition, but my guess is it might be similar.

Personally, I don't think it makes much sense in a world full of low-level shopkeepers and powerful villians for shop keepers to give discounts to the very people who hurt their business. Either you kill them or you destroy their profit repeatedly and they starve -- they all know you evil characters will take ruthless advantage of them if they show weakness. Seems to me they tell a character with low reputation a high price in the hopes that he'll shop somewhere else. You're lucky they don't just refuse service entirely.

If you rewrite the files to make them charge you less, you at least ought to make sure that every time you get your "low-rep discount" the shopkeeper calls the guards on you when you're gone and locks the doors every time he sees you coming in the future. If you do get back in the store, you ought to write the tweak so that they no longer offer anything but basic supplies (having hidden all the good items that you would otherwise extort from them).

[This message has been edited by Bombur (edited May 07, 2002).]

2. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Then we run into another problem: If things were more realistic, the CE berserker at the XP cap would just kill the frickin' merchant in question and take all his stuff. At that level, none of the merchants could stop you, not even Ribald. But the stuff isn't there after you kill them. Go figure.

3. Que Rong Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sometimes, in the Forest of Tethir when no one is looking, I like to cut up the little bunny rabbits that hop around with my katana. . . Is that evil?

And its not even for sustenance. I just like to see its little body parts splattered everywhere. No rep loss though. Oh well. Disintegrate spell on the bunnies is also loads of fun. Cheers.

4. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

LOL, Q.

Screw the rep indicator! Download the happy patch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.