1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best book you have read

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Elvenblade, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan...i always like teh personal 1v1 fights in fantasy writing...and i like the style he puts them in.

2. Danj Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The Pearl Saga by Eric Van Lustbader
    The Rigante Series by David A. Gemmel
    Anything by Anne Rice besides her earlier works on erotic fiction(left me with a headache and a totally twisted view on The Sleeping Beauty)
    Many and many of Salvatores books!

3. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Servant of the Shard can race with any fantasy book!
    Entreri and Jarlaxle forever!
    (found Artemis Entreri fan club)

4. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Beside fantasy I like most of all "Catch 22", "Picture this", "Good as Gold" - almost everything of Joseph Heller...

The last think I read beside fantasy was "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck. It was magnificent book... Just magnificent... It almost made me cry :cry:

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Lord of the Rings. Period.

It was after all voted Book of the Century :heh:

6. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

LoTR of course.

Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons.

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.

Strangers in a Strange Land by Heinlein.

JOB: A Comedy of Justice by Heinlein.

A Song of Ice and Fire by Geogre R.R. Martin.

Wheel of Time by Jordan, though I wish he would finish it!

And finally most of the Redwall book by Brian Jacques.

7. Frankie the Hand Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The first three Dune books, I think they're better than LOTR.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Not one book, but a serie. R.Jordan: "The Wheel of Time." Although the protagonist is a typical "Oh, she died! I guess I must now jump over a cliff! The misery!" -hero, the story is just too good to be passed. A pity that it has taken a turn to worse with the newest book.

9. piratebbbb Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hmmm, definately one of the R.A. Salvatore books. I've only read parts of the series because my friend has the books and let's me borrow random ones. The Thousand Orcs might be my favorite, but I can't remember the name of the others I read.

10. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Mine are the 2 first books of Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth"- series and maybe "The Riftwar Saga" By R.E. Feist...

It's really hard to just pick books like that, but right now i can't think of any other.

EDIT: I just remembered a book, reather two wich i loved, "Ogniem i Mieczem" - roughly translated it means With fire and Sword, it's written by a polish author Henryk Sienkiewicz :)

[ June 12, 2003, 20:41: Message edited by: Ameorn ]

11. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Applying the criteria of "books that I re-read the most" as my definition of best, here's my top few favorites in no particular order:

Witch World Series - Andre Norton
    Duncton Wood - William Horwood
    Emergence - David R. Palmer
    Warlock Series - Christopher Stasheff
    Dune Series - Frank Herbert
    Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov

12. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Mission Earth books 1-10 - L Ron Hubbard

A Song of Ice & Fire - George R R Martin

The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks

A Darkness at Sethanon - Raymond E Feist

Hyperion saga - Dan Simmons

13. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The Dig - Alan Dean Foster.

It struck me as a very odd book, and when you read through it the second time it all begins to make sense. I love the ending, though they do leave it a tad unclear.

Trivia:
    Steven Spielberg wanted to make The Dig into a movie, but gave up the project, either because the costs were too high, or not enough interest, I don't know. But it was made into a computer game by LucasArts. That's actually how I got the book. My parents saw the game, it came with a copy of the novel it was based on, they knew I liked both computer games and reading, so they bought it for me.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Lord of The Rings. I first read it way back when I was in grade two and have read it at least once a year ever since. It was what got me hooked on Fantasy novels which led to RPGs, computer games, movies etc. It is now twenty years, and eight seperate book reports for various English classes, later and I still love it.

I currently own my original boxset of paperbacks (which are falling apart), a large single volume 100th anniversary of Tolkien's birth edition, and the Easton Press leather bound set.

15. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Can't really say for sure what the best I have ever read was, but the best I have read recently would have to be Survivor, by Chuck Palahniuk. Note that is also the author or Fight Club which by comparison is rather tame. Highly recommended to all. Lack of time is no excuse not to read it, you will finish it in one sitting. It's that good. :)

16. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Ithink I said above the Silmarillion. I changed my mind. Now it is Gates of Fire. And I suggest all of you should read it.
    It is about the Spartans who faught in Thermopyles.

17. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Dante, Boccacio
    Odysseia
    Joyce: Ullyses
    Herbert: Dune,...
    Dick: Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream of Eletric Sheep?
    Gibson: Neuromancer
    Tolkien: Lotr,...
    LeGuin: Earthsea books
    Sapkowski: Wiedzmin cycle and short stories
    Vonnegut's books
    Salinger: The Catcher in the Rye
    Lem: Solaris
    Strugackij bros: Stalker/Pycnic by the road
    Marquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude
    Golding: Lord of the Flies
    Burghes: Clockwork Orange (how could I forgot, Alex's slang is simply great - EDIT)

P.S.: There are so many *great* books out there and so many of you put there Salvatore's easy reading (not that I did not like it, but...)

18. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Despite the many sentiments that R.A. Salvatore's work is "easy" I never really thought it was any easier than things like the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged or Lord of the Flies and Catcher in the Rye. I think it's one of those things that the more symbolism and theories a book has, the more difficult a book seems to people but in that case why don't they consider things like C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy really tough?

In any case my favorite book series is probably the Crimson Shadow Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. I love the characters and plot to it! I also individually loved Servant of the Shard (another R.A. Salvatore book) he defintely needs to do a follow-up with what happens to Jarlaxle and Artemis though. And I want to know the history behind Entreri and why he's so untruting.

19. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Go Ask Alice (love that book...well, diary)
    Nightfall (Isaac Asminov)
    The Hobbit (you all know)
    The Fellowship of the Ring (planning on reading the second one soon)
    Darwin's Black Box (Micheal Behe)
    Dragon's of Autumn Twilight (Weis & Hickman)
    Sphere (M. Crichton)
    Contact (Carl Sagan)
    The Princess Bride (Morgenstien but the abridged version)

20. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My favorite(i dont really know which book is my fav so ill just say series) would be either wheel of time or the sword of truth, i can normally finish the first 2 of each series in a day, i get that hooked on em

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.