1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Weapon Without Cheats

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Methylviolet, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I've never really bought into the Crom Faeyr idea. Sure, its a nice weapon, but I think I get better mileage using the Girdle and Gauntlets on separate characters.

For one handed weapons, the Flail of Ages and Celestial Fury are clearly the best. Besides those, though, I like to use Adjatha the Drinker. It gives nice immunities (charm, domination) and heals as well. The dragonslayer is nice, too. I played a fun character that dual wielded those two through the whole game (had blade of roses for certain monsters). Frostreaver and Stonefire are both excellent for the elemental damage effects.

For two handed weapons, you have a much wider choice. For general applicability, I like the Dragon's Breath. 1d10+9 dmg is nothing to sneeze at, and the elemental damage goes through stoneskins. The Impaler does slightly more damage, but its all physical and the weapon is only +3.

Obviously, the Silver Sword kicks, but I've hated vorpal weapons since I first heard about them 20 years ago in PnP play. I've never used one and never will.

aloha
    Vormaerin

2. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] Why do you hate vorpal weapons Newt? I think they are very useful.

Well, besides those "insane" weapons (C'Fury, Carsomyr, and Crom Faeyr) I like the Blade of Roses (2d4+3=good), the Tuigan Bow ROCKS IMO, and i like Firetooth as well. (same damage as Blade of Roses and it is a throwing dagger, Great!).
    I never really like the Blackrazor as i like keeping stuff that enemies leave when they die, and with Blackrazor they alway Petrify and then die, so i loose their items (which is Baaaaad :( )

3. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

eh, Firestorm, I think you were referring to me, not wittynewt since I made the comment about hating vorpal weapons.

Anyway, I dislike vorpal and sharpness weapons because I think they are grossly overpowered and unfun. The last thing I want, as a player or as a DM, is to get to the big villain and have his head chopped off in the first round. And if you are going to make the major villians immune to vorpalization, might as well not have it around eh? I've seen arguments that its not any different from 'instant death' spell effects, but I don't agree. A vorpal weapon can be used 3 to 5 times per round essentially infinitely and it can't be reversed with spell turnings or stopped by Death Ward.

So I've never allowed one in any of my PnP campaigns and don't use it in BG2. Its a shame so many of the TOB weapons have that property, too. :(

aloha
    Vormaerin

4. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

1.)The Holy Avenger(because its good damage 6-17 and dispel magic abilities, not to mention the 50% MR it gives)
    2.)Celestial fury(because of its good abilities - it can stun even golems, a pity it is only +3 enchanted)
    3.) Silver sword(I like vorpal swords)
    4.) Short bow of Gesen(It is the best ever missile weapon I think.)

And Vormarein: Decapitation=Vorpalization???

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited November 07, 2001).]

5. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I always like the equalizer with Minsc, it's not the most powerful but for the bulk of the game its effective.

That sword you get at the end in hell is pretty good though (from the Genie, its name escapes my mind)

6. You mean the Blackrazor, don't you Parvini?
    Yeah, it's a great weapon but since we get sooo late in the game, I'm kinda attached to other weapons like Crom Faeyr, C'Fury and Carsomyr. BTW, what do you think is the best longbow in the game?

7. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Heartseeker +3.

Thac0 +4
    Damage +2

Can increase aim to additional +7 once per day.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.