1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG II - newbie thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Or ultra-useless (like me), keep dying, and having to reload and figure out how the hell to get past a certain spot in the game. Or like now when I am still trying to find Nalia's supposedly secret door. Or when you can only play for half an hour or so a day at most.

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

**small hint - about secret door and killing trolls**
    The secret door is just above the place where the guards are located - just get someone to detect traps. Also if you talk to one of the guards he will give you free arrows of fire, if you keep talking he'll continue to give you more.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I couldn't talk to the guard. It kept saying he was 'busy' (even though he was just standing there) so he was no help at all.

Now I'm getting carved up by the big boss Troll who keeps blinding and slowing my characters.

5. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

HB, the "busy" thing has long been a well-known error with BG2 (I've never had it happen though, lucky me.) If you install the official patch it should fix it. Or a quicksave + reload is supposedly a temporary, situational fix.

Also, I really hope you enjoy BG2. It's without a doubt the best RPG I've ever played. :D

6. Harbourboy

Hey thanks for that. I thought the 'busy' thing was just part of the game. I didn't realise it was a bug. I'd better go patch it up then.

EDIT: Er, dopey question, I know - but where do I find this "patch"?

7. Zenastin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

From the main page of Sorcerer's Place:

Games > BG2 > Miscellanea >
    And then pick the patch appropriate for you.

8. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Have fun with the big old boss Troll. He and his cronies do put up a pretty good fight.

9. Harbourboy

Cheers. I'm all patched up now. Finally managed to kill the troll after buffing up with Draw on Holy Might, Kai, Barkskin, and Haste - plus wielding the Flail of Ages.

Somehow, I now seem to own the castle. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. Oh well, I've only got 4 people in my party (Kensai, Minsc, Jaheira, Nalia) so my inventory is overloaded. Better go back to town and sell some of it and figure out what to do next............

10. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

You get the castle as a stronghold - different classes get different strongholds... You should return to the castle every few weeks, since you get some money and a few quests.

11. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

/me applauds SP community for resisting the temptation to feed harbourboy spoilers.

@harbourboy- now I'm curious as to what you'll end up doing with your un-walkthroughed virgin run through BG2. Keep posting, eh?

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I havent met a fresh BG2 virgin in ages. Keep us updated with everything you do!

13. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Exactly, seems like yesterday I loaded BGII on the PC. let us know Harbourboy how it all pans out for ya. It's like replaying all over again

14. Harbourboy

Ah, the pressure! Don't hold your breath guys as my progress is likely to be very slow. I'm at the Adventurer's Mart selling my booty from that whole Troll business. But they don't seem to sell a magical club for Jaheira to use (she has 2 proficiency points in Club) so she might need to get a scimitar for now.

Now we have to decide whether to:
    a) go and see that thief guy who reckons he can find Imoen for 20,000gp; or
    b) go and visit that mysterious woman in the graveyard; or
    c) check out the circus tent (seeing as we're there); or
    d) go and help that kid who's village has been overtaken by inside-out crazy people; or
    e) go find Montaron in the Harper house.

15. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

well good luck it whatever choice you make. And just remember that you got us all here for opinions.lol

16. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I'd go with C) there Harbourboy, as at the tail end you get to see one of the coolest things BG2 has to offer. But watch out. It'll bite.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of those I would recommend you do the circus tent and Montaron first seeing as A and B are stuff which propels you in a direction in search of Imoen and it can be useful to do some stuff before that and D being a big quest which might be found a bit difficult.

18. Harbourboy

OK - we've sorted out that circus tent nonsense now. It wasn't too tricky but now I seem to have picked up someone elf girl called Aerie so we now have 5 people in the party. Not sure how long I'll keep her as she looks like a pure spellcaster, and so far Arya (Kensai) and Minsc have been able to handle 90% of the battles by themselves without resorting to spells. For the tougher fights, Nalia and Jaheira have been able to provide the necessary buffs.

Oh well, maybe we'll go and see what's going on with Montaron then (so long as we can resolve the matter in a non-evil way)

19. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmmm This is *so* cool, BG2 has eventually gotten old for me, but it's really nice to see fresh eye see it. And by now, it's been so long I might even finally go and make good on my plan to get the full BG + TotSC + BG2 + ToB set... It's been too long.
    Keep posting!
    :borg:

20. joacqin

Media:
    If you dont have the game I dont think you will be able to get it. It is neigh on impossible to get your hands on. Look for my thread on the subject, not sure if it is here or in the SoA forum.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.