1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG1-BG2 NPC Continuity **spoilers**

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Bion, Feb 11, 2005.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

No way, I just wanted to make a cleric... how am I supposed to give him 5 points in long shords :)

2. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Great thread! Always love to read about this kind of history stuff! :) And Dynaheir's spirit is caught in a cage? Could this mean imprisonment by spell? Or in a glass jar? Hmm...time to import my level 31 mage and cast freedom every screen! :)

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Maybe they turned her into a vampire, and the "cage" is her own, undead, body? Minsc does have the change of heart from Racial Enemy: Gnoll to Racial Enemy: Vampire between BG1 & BG2, after all... :hmm:

[ February 16, 2005, 23:40: Message edited by: The Magpie ]

4. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

heh... interpretation begins to run amok... ;)

Well, Minsc's racial enemy was probably changed because the bonus to gnoll fighting would be useless in BG2. But hey, Minsc does say that "they" killed Dynaheir (while Immy specifically refers to Irenicus killing Khalid), so maybe you could make an argument that Bohdi was involved? Sounds like enough of a plot device to drive, say, some kind of help Minsc to rescue Dynaheir from vampirism quest, if you're a modding kind of person.

More Athans info from a quick search of the planet baldur's gate forums:

On Athans relationship to Bioware:

A summary of the events in Athans' BG:

On a BG2 romance included in Athans you might not have considered before:

On how to play BG2:SoA as Athans wrote it:

And finally, on the events in the ToB novelization:

[ February 17, 2005, 21:11: Message edited by: Bion ]

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Or you could have just asked here, and got the same answers... Try searching for Athans in Booktalk.

6. Bion Gems: 21/31

I did search through the booktalk threads, but didn't find what I was looking for: a plot synopsis. Nearly all of the mentions of Athans on SP, in threads with titles like God, the Baldur's Gate books blow big time..., tend to be completely dismissive of Athans both as a writer and as a contributor to the world of BG and FR. From the weight of opinion on his work, this seems entirely justified. However, given that 1) Athans was (is?) as a managing editor of WotC, and so, someone with a great deal of power in determining FR canon; 2) his BG books are considered part of the FR canon; and 3) his work had at least a small effect on the BG series games ("Abdel" as an importable characters in TotSW, SoA, and ToB, and very possibly the idea of Jaheira as romance-able character in BG2), it seemed he would have to at least be mentioned in a discussion of BG continuity.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1. He's AN editor at the WoTC novel department. How he got to that position considering he's not fit to write kindergarten books is beyond me, but he certainly doesn't hold any power over FR canon. WoTC novels grew out of a cash-making sideline into a more mainstream production for WoTC, but are still subject to the canon which is core manuals, supplements, etc. And not the other way around, except in a few high-profile (minor) exceptions.

2. The BG novels were released to cash in on the successful games, not because they had anything to contribute to the FR line. They're not really considered part of the main FR line of books either, but rather "Computer Game Tie-ins". My guess is they won't be reprinted once they sell out. Considering how narrow their scope is (in every possible meaning you can attribute to the words; but I'm referring to the events and descriptions in them specifically), the FR line won't be any worse for it whatsoever. If anything, it'll be doing it a favour by getting rid of the most abominable books associated with the FR name in existence.

3. His work had 0, no, none whatsoever effect on the games apart from the fact that whoever named characters for the saved games gave the main character the same name he did. Which means he read the book. And that's it. Athans wrote the first two books long before the storylines for them were hammered out (he defiled the paper based on early drafts), and took heaps of liberties with the storyline where it WAS final.

Just to clear some things up for you.

8. Bion Gems: 21/31

I completely agree with your first two points, and almost completely agree with your third. Of course Athans worked from early drafts, and as it seems everyone who as both read the books and played the game has noted, the game portrays the world of BG and its inhabitants in a far more rich and satisfying way than the book, and that the experience of the game was rich enough for players that it Athans' lame novels seemed like an affront. My guess is that WotC (and even Athans) realizes this, and so they'll most likely leave the events relayed in the BG series purposely vague in upcoming sourcebooks. However, while many BG fans might prefer reading BG fanfic over Athans, the sad fact is that his novelization was the only one to be published.

Also, it still seems likely to me that WotC was in the loop throughout the development process; I'm sure they demanded it, as they wanted to protect their brand. WotC would have wanted to make sure all the background info was canon: Council of Six, the characterization of the gods, the book histories and town crier speeches, etc. How much Athans was party to this I can't say. However, as the first novel came out before BG2 or even TotSC, and WotC of course continued to be involved perhaps just in a consulting role in game development, I would bet that the developers of BG2 had read Athans' BG novelization before they finalized the storyline.

Thankfully of course they ignored almost all of it; in fact, I wonder whether the inclusion of an "Abdel" in the TotSC mission pack reflected someone's opinion of Athans' cardboard cutout Conan in giving him a lower intelligence and wisdom than even Minsc. But it also could be that one of the developers thought, "hmmm, a Jaheira romance... it sucks in the book, but it could be very interesting in the game if done right."

Finally, I'm struck by the at least superficial similarities between Abdel and the character I argued, completely without thinking of Athans, would probably be the most commonly played CHARNAME in all the many runthroughs players have done in BG, in this thread, The BG series beaten path. Most likely this just means the developers had the sense that, on the whole, the most likely to be played CHARNAME would be a male human fighter, and suggested to Athans that he work with that.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    You're mixing the novels and the games together too much... As I said, the two are really almost entirely separate. And it's not really that Athans' ideas in his books seemed like an affront to me. Many of us could easily enjoy an alternative look at the events in the BG saga, provided the books were written well. Unfortunately, they were total trash on a level of the worst fanfic you'd find, well... No, I have never read any fanfics so bad. And that's saying something. Writing is an art, and Athans is in the Stone Age with his.

Certainly, WoTC keep checking that EVERY D&D game in development follows the canon. The BG games were no exception here in any aspect. And I'm sure most of the developers were too busy with actually making the game to go read Athans' piss-poor novelization which strayed so far from their own story as to be nearly unrecognizable. What possible benefit could they gain from reading his scribblings? They were the ones who supplied him with the material to write it from. A Jaheira romance in BG2 was just one of several possible, after all. And I'm sure BioWare threw around more ideas during development of BG2 than Athans would have in several lifetimes.

10. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

A nit: Immy doesn't refer to Irenicus killing Khalid. What she says is that Khalid was already dead when Irenicus began "cutting" him.

11. Bion Gems: 21/31

@Tal- I'd still guess that the BG2 developers either read or knew about Athans' BG, as they probably were encouraged to read alot of WotC novels (if they hadn't already) to get into the spirit of things. I'd agree with you that the ones who read it must have thought it was crap, and I'd also agree that the game has 1000 times the content, style, and artistic merit of the book.

@Truper- could be; in any case, what counts as dying in the BG2 world, when resurrection is so easy? Irenicus' experimentation was certainly the cause that Khalid could not be raised from the dead...

12. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Wasn't it Jaheira who didn't even want to make an effort? even though she would be able to cast call of the harper when she reaches a certain level? Maybe Khalid was used in the manufacturing of some fleshgolem and is still secretly in the game ;)

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

:eek: OMG! That just made Jan's Flesh Golem pun on Keldron a lot more ... :sick:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.