1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG1, SoA and ToB which is best ?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Gilden, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

BG1 rocks, but it was just a beginning...I loved BG1, in fact I disliked BG2/SOA when I first played it, but gradually warmed up to it. IWD and HOW/TOL were great I thought, I loved the mood and the aesthetic. IWD2 sucked. Anyway, I absolutely loved TOB, so thats my vote.

2. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I played BG1 first and at the time I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, it was also around the time I was reading a fair amount of fantasy novels between playing Fallout2 and M&M6... ah the good old days. The stroyline wasn't that origianl, but as soon as gorion died, I was hooked, too many unanswered questions needed to be solved and curiosity wasn't going to kill this cat!

Little did I know that a sequel for this amazing game was just around the corner and a grabbed it as soon as I saw it on the shelves... WOW... what a game, the improved IE and overall feel of the game was amazing and ToB wasn't too bad considering what TotSC was like (although not REALLY an expansion, more of a MOD).

For me IWD just makes my skin crawl, (I brought this in hope it would match BG for storyline and gameplay, oh dear how wrong I was) 2 was better than one, but after a while I got bored and eventual ate the cd... I even thought NWN was better!

Looking back at these games I wonder how BG3 will trun out and how Atari/Bioware hope to outclass SoA, is it possible? I dont think so...

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

@Slayer

You just described a year of my life :D

I would have expected more BG1 fans from the ones who played the original :(

Oh well everyone his/her own opinion

[ December 22, 2004, 14:23: Message edited by: Apeman ]

4. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@Apeman:

Just one year? FOr me its more like 4 or 5 and still going :lol: :) :banana:

I think the reason I prefer SoA over BG1 is because Im still a sucker for ease in gameplay despite the storyline gfx etc. It was the same when Blackisle brought out Fallout, the extras in the second title were that much better I prefered it to the first, extra weapons and armor and improved char interactivity etc, but the stroyline was a bit lame...

...I wonder where my life of gaming would have gone if it were not for that one game, would I be here now? Me thinks not...

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

BG1 for sure. As Rednik said, BG2 is pretty damn cheezy. 'everything including the kitchen sink' sort of questing. 'Oh, well, dragons! Gotta have big evil dragons! LOTS of big evil dragons! And while we're at it, we'll throw a few paladin quests at you. Hah! Try walking into this tavern to pick up five more quests! Ragh! Take another unnecessary irrelevant quest which adds nothing at all to the game! Raaaagh!'

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    SOA (sorry, Apeman :) ). Best story of the trilogy, the best villain in a CRPG (the only time I ever felt I wanted to know more about who I was against, not just get to him and slash him to pieces), and while some of the quests do go a bit too far, it's nice having complex quests that require doing more than the 3-step "kill monster, get ring, return to owner" pattern.

BG1 had a great story as well, but the villain was waaay too typical. In fact the one thing I love about BG1 is the open-ended, go do whatever you want, anywhere you want, and anytime you want aspect (at least before chapter 6). I missed that in SOA, but it was a necessary sacrifice if you're going to have more tightly structured storylines and quests.

I like TOB, but it's the weakest of the three, IMO. Almost purely hack and slash, with a minimal story, no side quests to speak of (except Watcher's Keep), and a world and land that don't quite feel alive the way the previous two games did. It's a fun conclusion to the trilogy though.

:yot: Planescape beats them all though :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.