1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Books Suck!

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Boo the great, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

books are windows into the realms of fantasy and fun. they are ways to get away from the **** of life and into a story of action and other... stuff. without books, the world would be a pretty boring life. doesnt everyone agree?

2. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree, reading books is very good for all the reasons you mentioned.

Eze, you said:
    :mad: What makes you think that teenage boys do not have brains. I am a teenage boy and I assure you I have brains (and I have read MANY books).

3. Rathanel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Alexander the Great (quote): "What makes you think that teenage boys do not have brains. I am a teenage boy and I assure you I have brains (and I have read MANY books)."

I, too, am a teenage boy who loves to read. I also consider myself to be quite intelligent, but I must alter your statement somewhat.

All teenage boys have brains, but only rarely are they located inside their heads.

4. Boo the great Banned

Why should I read a book???
    When you can read a summary on the internet.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Heh, what do you really benefit from reading a summary? If reading a whole book is a waste of time, reading some better or worse contraction is not even worth considering - unless it's for school of course :D - but it's no mystery that those books do suck in general. Heh, I remember getting A's when examined on my knowledge of books I've never opened ;) One always has more interesting things to read.

I'm not going to be telling you what's good for you - although I personally agree with Faragon, Khelben, Shura and Depaara - not everyone has to be an intellectual or a white-collar. There are so many important roles in the society, you know.

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Hell yeah, I still need someone to decalciphy my waterboiler ;)

Not everybody likes to read, and that's just fine. Not everyone has the same interests. (Thank god.) But to come into a forum that is about that very thing and state that books suck, is like going to a tankdivision and tell the entire squad there that guns are bad. I mean, that's just begging for a kick in the groin area.

Which is a bad idea, in general :grin:

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My teachers always adviced me to stop reading, because it consumed too much time and energy and made my grades drown. :D

But hey, working with one's hands to earn money, that's decent and honest work. A trade in hand finds gold in every land.

8. Eze Gems: 24/31

Alexander the Great and Rathanel: Maybe, maybe. But I'll still stick to the teenage-boys-have-no-brains version thankyouverymuch.

9. Boo the great Banned

[​IMG] But the thing is when you read a summary and you like it, you can go and read the whole book.
    That's the best thing of summary's.

And Eze, please stay away!
    Because most boys DO have brains! :holy:

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Boo, just like videomovies, summaries are often worse then the book and give a bad impression.
    I admit that I don't like reading, but I would be a crazy fool when I say that books suck. (No offens ment, Dutchy)

Do you just don't like reading or reading books? If you don't like reading books, then why would you bother reading summeries before you read the books? And if you don't like reading at all, then why would you read the summeries?

I don't visit this forum regularly, since I don't read that much. I was just curious how people would react to a thread called 'Books Suck(s)' in Booktalk. :grin:

Edit:
    Allthough there might, just MIGHT be some nice examples of whom people think they have not.

[ April 22, 2003, 16:45: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

11. Eze Gems: 24/31

*coughMinsc'srodentcough*

And Boo, WHY should I stay away?

In your nice dreams.

Ha.

Need to see Equilibrium... Need to see... Will kill, if can't see it...

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Agreed. Teenage boys rarely have brains. I was an exception. The time everyone was playing football and getting deflorated I was reading, reading and reading. I like myself now. :D

13. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Books are a great gift.Without them we would be stuck in the everyday live and would kill us,because we wouldn't have any dreams(How philosopic :D ).
    Books are also much better than films,because you can read how the persons feel,and I think this is something very important !
    And Eze,boys are much smarter than girls :D :cool: :D

14. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"Excluding teenage boys, who don't even have brains"

That's a rash generalization...I’m a teenage boy and I read plenty of books and by no means do I not have any "brains". And besides why post it? You must know that these forums include many teenage boys.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Exiled . . . Eze has a serious hate on for boys at the moment, similar to the one that many boys have regarding girls ("eww, cooties!") I think it's great that she feels she can vent her frustrations here on SP -- it's certainly safer for the boys at her school -- if she couldn't blow off steam here, she might kill a classmate!

That's why books are good, too -- you can vicariously live out your fantasies about killing annoying people, and you don't actually kill those annoying people, which cuts down the amount of time you spend in jail!

16. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I agree with Sephirot, books give you the opportunity to create the characters, emotions, environments, ect.. in your mind. your imagination along with a great book (they are out there) can take you places and show you things that no movie or summary could hope to do justice to. try it. :)

however Sephirot, i cannot agree that boys are smarter, if we were, we would have found a way to resist girls. i know i can't. ;)

17. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

If I'm well informed they can't resist us either.And I dont't think intelligence has something to do with your resisting grade against girls :D

18. Eze Gems: 24/31

Yes, we can. We control our instincts more, save for the few pathetic. And we can go for years without acting like animals, unlike boys, who are engaged in mating rituals the moment adults are gone. Believe me.

19. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

:lol:

I think this topic has gone from one inane generalisation to another here.

Books of course do not suck. Boys are not stupid just because they're tenagers. Their behaviour might be, but that does not make them stupid for 8 years of their lives. Eze, don't worry, we calm down a lot....

Boo - only one thing for you: Stop watching telly and read books. Start with a few great books just to get into the swing of things, then expand.

20. Volsung Gems: 14/31

Cheavalier:
    That's exactly how i'm now. I'm all the time in my home reading. Can't put down those books, they're irresistible.

Eze:
    What's wrong with teenager boys? Someone must have done something to you, right? But that's not an excuse to put the blame on everyone who is a teenager.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.