1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

British Hero

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Sarevok•, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

[​IMG] I have thinking for athletes that compete for countries that are not their countries of birth and I have remembered Ashamoa, who's playing football for the german national team and some black guys who have been playing for the german basketball team. I wonder which would be the expression in Adolf's face if he could see them wearing the shirt with german eagle in the place of the heart? :p

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I struggle to see how there can be any dispute over whether Amir Khan is British. He was born there! He's more British than some members of the British royal family have been over the years, isn't he? Haven't some of them been from France, Germany, and Greece in the past?

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You don't quite understand Harbourboy

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes - the essence of my last post was that I didn't understand. Neither of my parents was from New Zealand. Does that mean I am not a New Zealander?

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Actually if you think about it Harbourboy... all of the British royal family have foreign origins. Good ol' William from Normandy :p

Sarevok, rather than just saying "You don't quite understand" how about you expand on that? Sounds very arrogant in an "I'm right - you're wrong" kind of way.

6. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually, throughout history, the English throne was mainly controlled by non English, and no I will not elaborate because I am too lazy to type all the examples.

On another note, I think he should fight for Britain, he was born there, he was trained there, and chances are he considers that his home. And besides, he's winning a medal for GB. Whats wrong with that?

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Aristrocrats don't count. They used to breed only with their kind and therefore had to merry abroad. Royal families are all pan-european. But I don't understand the fuss about Khan either. If his father came from Estonia, I wonder who would question the Britishness of his son.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well... Sarevok for one? :p

9. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, he, he. Are you sure he would ?

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Aieeee the New Zealanders are ganging up on me :toofar:

Well I am not going to go on about it anymore, for a start someone already said that competing for another country in the Olympics is commonplace, I did not know that but if you came over here where I live then you would see exactly where I am coming from. :wave:

11. teekc Gems: 23/31

There are similiar posts made by Sarevok this April about Bollywood movies.

To sum up,
    (repeating my point) People move around in high rate. Culture grow by interaction and incorporation. There is no point explicitly label which is 'ours' which is 'yours' because, as we can see in past history, all become one. For example gun powder, tea, paper, religion, language, etc. English price their English high tea culture but how many elements in this culture is truely and wholly English?

Sarevok's argument as i understand it, comes from cultural background. Amir doesn't belong to "British culture" thus making him not suitable for "British nationality".
    1- Is the Olympic the competition of cultural superiority?
    2- What is explicitly British culture?
    3- Culture backgound = nationality?

12. Harbourboy

I have spent 4 of the last 7 years living in England so I like to think I have a reasonable idea of what life is like there. One of the things I liked best about England was just how multi-cultural it was. England has a great history of taking on and absorbing aspects of other cultures. Teekc makes a good point about tea but an even better example is the English language which is a wonderful mish-mash with elements from just about every other language in the world. Where I lived in East London, it sometimes seemed like I was the only 'white' person for miles.

But I still don't see how it is possible to argue that someone who was born and trained in a country should not be competing for that country.

13. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I dont think Sarevok is referring to where he lives as England, rather his local area. If he is speaking for the UK as a whole, he is sadly wrong, and misguided.

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sarevok, you are the first person I have seen who is racist (nationalist, w/e) towards your own country.

His dad speaks in a thick Bolton accent and puts Peter Kay to shame! So does Amir! He sounds like Vernon Kay, lol.

He is as British as I am and did the British nation proud today.

I am proud of our multi-cultural society. It's a shame that it also has a tendency to stir up aggression amongst a small minority of idiots.

15. Harbourboy

Good call, Morsmordre (I don't say that very often). Plus, I even praised the British relay team in that Olympics thread. Aaaargh, what's going on? When's the next rugby game so I can start cheering AGAINST the English again..... :p

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    How about cricket? ;)

17. Harbourboy

So long as that Nasser Hussain isn't on the team. Despite his Essex accent, he's not what you'd call "English" is he? :p

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    Rofl.

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Bollocks

20. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Sarevok, I have to ask: Are you a poster boy for the BNP by any chance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.