1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bush - Impeached! Or Not?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Chandos the Red, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Darkwolf, this is the only warning you'll get. Throw another personal insult aimed at any single person or group of people and your posting career in AoDA is finished. Go read the sticky with the rules for AoDA.

Also - and this is just a personal comment from me not on the administrator level - if your best shot at proving your right is to ignore everything everyone else says and posts, you can keep posting ad infinitum and you still won't convince anyone except yourself. I guess I'm lucky I'm one of the rare few to possess the ability to shatter Stone Deaf.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Chandos, I guess my "pointless" comment came out in a way I didn't intend. What I mean is, it'll never happen, because proving that Bush was lying as opposed to simply acting on bad evidence would be next to impossible. I'm in full agreement that should it be discovered that a president lied, he should get the boot. Like I said before, though, I have an unpleasant feeling that we'd have to impeach every single president and world leader!

I in no way meant to insult your thread -- it's a good one and a good idea, it's just that I see the chances of Bush being impeached as being about the same as my winning the next Mr. Universe contest. However, whether or not he DESERVES it, well, that's worth discussing.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    OK - Sorry for the misunderstanding, Lord Depaara. All this stuff with Agudo, kind of put me off on what was happening with this thread. And I agree with your comments, that it is highly unlikely that Bush will be impeached over lying about WMD. But, if the Amercian people feel that he is lying and it gets enough press focus, it could cost him points in the election.

4. Teufelchen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Someone said that lying is not a crime which is correct, so long as the person was not under oath. To the best of my knowledge Bush never made any statements under oath, so he cannot be impeached for perjury. If Bush et al., however, lied in order to convince congress to wage the war for his own gain, then he has conspired to defraud the federal government, which is a felony.

Link to relevant statute
    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/ts_search.pl?title=18&sec=371

5. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@ Darkwolf do you imply that they were other reasons than the existence of WMD's in Iraq? The non compliance with the resolution of 1441 of the UN perhaps; But if the US army can't find the WMD's if they existed doesn't this mean that Saddam did comply with this resolution;
    Another reason; The supressive regime of Saddam; Did the Iraqies asked from the USA to come and save them; i think not. Other reason; i can't think of one... oh yes the one reason that really existed OIL :eek: But noone talks about it. It is confidential :p
    I understand your concern for your goverment and the underlying fear that maybe there was rotten in the kingdom of Danes but if we allow any goverment to do whatever they like and get away with it we will come up with some very nasty situations. It is the responsibility of the people to check their goverment and to point out her faults and to guard the democratic system of goverment since that is the main principle of democracy.
    To delude ourselves and not strive to preserve justice just because it is our goverment and we back her up is the worst thing that it could be done.

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Havent been here a while but anyways as a respond to Agudo's respond on my post here:

Nope... it was just a reminder that also "good" western people seem to use WMD's

Now for something completely different

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The importance of the WMD's lies not if they truly were the reason for the war or not, the importance was that they were what they used to legimitize the conflict with and what they used to scare up their own populace with. It was WMD's that lent the entire farce atleast a semblence of credibility. Everyone with half a brain knows that the WMD's was not the main issue by a long shot, but it was the argument used to sell this war. Thus their existance or no existance is vital for the Bush II administrations credibility.
    If the WMD's was not the issue people will start to question what other reasons they were, especially those who are so keen on beliving what your great leader tells you. If he greatly exaggerated this why wouldnt he do it with other things and what kind of credibility does he have?

As you have pointed out so is Clinton's credibility low since his affairs and lying under oath is more blatant than if you are not under oath. But for some reason I think lying to drag your country into war and make your populace live in constant fear of a non-existant threat is worse than lying about boning some intern. Oath or no oath. I would also like to add that especially the Europeans here are still not Democrats just because we are not Republicans. So you vomiting gall over Clinton is not really aimed at anyone here that I can tihnk of as he wasnt overly popular either.

8. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I dont see Bush getting impeached.Most of the polls I see here in the States still show a high level of approval for Bush and company.

These are strange times in the US right now.We have a presidant who by all appearences mislead the public so he could run a war ,and no one seems to care.If the economy makes a come back he will probably get re-elected.Sad isnt it.

To make things worse I heard Rumsfeild the other day on the radio making his case against IRan again.He had great catch phrases like People who spend their time thinking about this kind of thing beleive Iran has a nuclear weapons program.

I just wonder if these are the same people who said Iraq was a clear and presant danger to us?

Man I cant spell at all!

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Dorion Blackstar -- Don't worry about the spelling because everything you commented on is right on, IMO. It's really equally curious as it is sad though that Americans don't care if this guy tells the truth or not. When he was elected a lot of Americans didn't think he was very smart but they claimed that he had "character." The issue of Bush II having "character" has certainly gone down the drain if it turns out that he was lying.

The Dems really have an issue here if they wish to ratchet it up, because a lot of them voted for this war. I, for one, detested them for doing so, and then coming back and trying to criticize what they were obviously in favor of. IMO, the dems really looked like their namesake (jackasses), until all this stuff about phoney intel started surfacing. Now they have an out that they were as misled as the rest of us, but somehow I feel that may not be necessarily an honest excuse. But what in politics is an honest excuse at this point? Hype is the order of the day now on both sides and Americans don't care as long as they can cruise around in their SUVs, wave their plastic flags and shout: "We're number 1!"

So, you're right after all: It is sad, isn't it?

10. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The situation is getting out of hand not only in USA but throughout the world as well. I believe that the manipulation of the masses by playing with their fears and misleading them in order to hide bigger issues or even to serve causes less than pure is widespread politic for the politicians of this world. Too bad because as a saying from my country reminds the fish smells from the head. Is this a bad sign for our future or a sign that something must change that the system is not working properly anymore;
    I fear that the second thought is true and the concequences will be dramatic for the people of this planet :(

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

This reminds me of a movie I saw a while back, where the USA persident was caught having an affair and made up a fake war to get peoples minds away from his affair.
    Could something like this be happening now? Bush didn't catch Binladin (sp?) so he made up some convincing story about there been WMD in Iraq to take everyones minds off his failure in Afganistain? If this is true he should certainly be impeached. If this is so he should be tried (sp?) for war crimes.

But if he was simply misinformed, well is this really the type of person who we want leading the most powerful country on the face of our planet.

And Blackstar, it is sad, very sad indeed, when a country doesn't care if their leader lies to them or not.
    I really wouldn't be surprised, Iran does have a big oil suppy does it not. I find it horrible that some one with so much power lies in order to legally declear war on Iraq.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.