1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chronic Restarter Syndrome

Discussion in 'Playground' started by guildmaster, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Depends on the game; there are games such Starcraft or C&C series that I wanted to finish quick to see the story. I've played Diablo 2 for about 3 months before even killing Andariel...

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I get like this only after I've finished the game at least once. Occassionaly I've restarted if I wasn't so far in the game yet but had missed a lot of stuff or did something wrong.

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I hear ya. On a Jedi Academy Roleplaying server, I had about 20 different characters.

Sure, I played there for over two years and most of those 20 characters were high-rankers, but still!

Then it's WoW. Over fifteen characters, only one of them over fourty, and he was fourty-two.

Then the NWN server I play on, Legacy of the North. Same problem there. Max level on the server is 25, highest I have is one fourteen, then a twelve, then a ten. Then it is a looooong drop to the next one.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'm suffering that affliction currently with Medieval II, Total War. The game gets a lot harder when the Pope is a jerk towards you...

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I stil have not finished nwn2. However, i know every pice of grass in West Harbour. I have got one cleric who just went trough the purifiying rituals. By the way I also never finished nwn1. Every time two or three words of power. Once I starte in the laqst acht and stopped just before the two dragons. I did finish bg2, but not iwd 1-2, bg1 or Torment.

6. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Chronic Restart Syndrome. I call it 'Alt-oholism'.

Most of the time, I read a review of a game. I go out and buy it (if I like it). I don't read anything on how to play the game - except for the in-game tutorials and/or the manual - and I play the game once through the whole way with whatever looks good.

I did that for BG-II, IWD (and II), NWN and II

THEN I go around and chronic restart. Although, I started again in BG1 because I like Druids, and I was playing, and very early in the game you get Jaheira.

At the moment, I'm onto my sixth character in NWN-II that's actually made it past West Harbour(I have about 20 that haven't) Only three of them have made it through the whole game. I almost restarted the first time when I ran into Elanee (because I play Druids). But, she's not that great so I planned to kick her out so it didn't matter.
    And NWN I've played all the way through a few times. And about half-way through a LOT of times.

...But Jaheira. She's awesome. I don't care what anyone says.

I also have about 10 characters on WoW...Except I've stopped playing that game about four months ago.

7. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'm like that with IWD2. I've finished it once and I've been to Kuldahar like 20 times. I just get bored of it.

8. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

i generally play through a game one time, then if i try the game again i will seldom make it more then halfway, then restart becuase some other form of character might be cooler.

9. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

There are very few games I haven't finished.

I really have to think hard to come up with any....

Hmmm... Legend of Kyrandia and Rise of the Robots I haven't finished.

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ugh, heavy sufferer here. I´ve started several games hundreds of times (BG 2 suffered the most), and seldom played them until the end. It´s almost as bad with reloads.

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the genesis of this condition is the quest for the ever elusive "perfect game." I'll explain.

This is particularly common with role playing games, due in no small part to the time commitment involved in playing an RPG. You have to create a character you're going to enjoy being stuck with for 20-30 hours of game time. If the character ceases to dazzle you anymore, or you catch yourself having one of your NPC's leading the group, you're screwed. This is what keeps people stuck in the starting area of a game forever. The only possible exception for me in this is Icewind Dale, since you can create your "perfect" 6-person party from the start without feeling like you're short in any one area. That said, I've had dozens of restarts in IWD2, possibly because of all the kits involved. IWD has far fewer choices, making commitment to a party far less painful.

Another facet of the perfect game is hitting all the marks. If you realize you missed a sidequest, or an item, or worse - BOTCHED a sidequest and missed out on a cool reward or created a negative result, you feel the need to just start over and do it right "this time." I just recently experienced that with NWN2, in Chapter 3, when I realized I was totally mis-managing my keep.

So yes...I know the affliction all too well. :D

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hah, I'm so bad about this... basically, I haven't even gotten to ToB because I keep restarting. I've played BG2 to the end about 5 times, 3/4 of the way through 10 times, halfway through 20 times, and before that I've lost count :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.