1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Comparison, BG1 & 2

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by SPROUTY, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[doh! is a forum about it! grrr]

I thought bg1 was more fun, there is more of a challenge element, running around .. running away.. killin Xvarts.. where as BG2 was more; haha! die die die really powerful monster !! i can't remember ever having to run away in BG2

[This message has been edited by Spudsquisher (edited November 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Spudsquisher (edited November 08, 2001).]

2. Lukki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Here is a few things I hate in BG2
    -Really powerful mages that summon wyverns and make themselves invulnerable to archer fire and stuff.
    -Umber hulks and everything else that makes Minsc go "Boo is a hamster? Buttkick the protagonist? Ok, Boo".
    -Damn annoying quests that are nothing but hack'n'slash from the start to the end.
    -Not enough small towns like Beregost and not enough wilderness with hobgoblins and wanderers

I still hate to start from a fucking annoying dungeon. BG1 had better music too..

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I hate in BG2 that in almost every fight you need to cast a few remove protection scrolsl first.

4. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The best addition to BG2 was the "Healing spells cast on rest" text. It's the best line of dialogue in the game, particularly appreciated as I'm playing both BG1 and 2 at the moment.
    What a great improvement.

[This message has been edited by Masher (edited November 08, 2001).]

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

That was indeed a great change. Another great change was the two weapon fighting ability and the specialized prefiencies.

6. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hello, everybody. I asked whether BGI was as good as BGII/ToB in the BGI forum, and the people there said it was. So I bought it -- and got this lovely avatar. But. I just played for the first time and it's kind of primitive. It looks -- well, not as good. Movement is jerky and slow. I have eight freakin hit points. My thieves can't pick their noses. Gibberlings are a serious concern. And what's going on? Nobody knows -- I'm just walking around. I'm playing one Hell of a studly male and no one has hit on me. I don't know yet but BGI seems less fun.

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

You'll find out what's going on soon enough ;) and it will get better. I'd advise you to travel to the Friendly Arm Inn. And talk to people to get the scoop on what's going on.

8. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

What I really like about the plot in BG1 is just that, you don't know what's going on, what you're doing and who's behind it... Of course, as the game goes, you'll learn more and more until the final revelation near the end...
    I really like the fact that BG1 is a low-level game, the danger is more apparent then and it's more about tactics. Also, you'll find that bows are far more useful than in BG2, and those are the reason I don't die much, despite my bad AC.
    But what I really like is the wilderness areas. While wandering around aimlessly wouldn't make much sense in BG2, since you actually have an obvious goal, I would prefer if you had the option, or at least had to traverse some areas in order to reach, for example, the Umar Hills. Those areas add so much to the general atmosphere of the game, in my opinion.

[Rant Mode OFF]

9. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] I remember after putting BGI away for a long time, I played it again.
    When you play it again you see that it just looks less good... BGII has definately had some inventory graphics etc etc adjustments

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.