1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

:eek: :eek: You're ****ING kidding, right? Waffles, Caveboy. They're a pure delicacy. :yum:

They're great munchies food too.

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Harbourboy, do you have any strange and exotic dishes in New Zealand? Something odd that might not be known in North America?

3. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Like boiled or stewed Kiwi? :)

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Like Nakia said, Eggos are waffles but round instead of square.

5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can make a pile of homemade waffles and they freeze great. You can pop those in the toaster too.

I'm with Nakia - Harbour Boy, why don't you share some of your interesting local recipies with us. If you don't have any on hand maybe your wife could give you a couple to post. :)

6. Disciple of The Watch

Kiwis are great! :yum:

...when they're deep-fried. :p

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No wonder I don't know what an Eggo is, if it is some kind of brand name. Although I'm not 100% sure what a waffle is. I have an idea in my head that it's like a pancake, but with criss-crosses on it.

As for NZ recipes, my wife has loads of great recipes but they're not specific to NZ (for example, she makes a great lasagna, using homemade pasta that she makes by hand - something she picked up from a trip to Italy).

Things we have a lot of in NZ that maybe aren't so popular elsewhere are:
    - kiwifruit (fuzzy fruit with green flesh)
    - pavlova (fluffy baked egg white thing)
    - steak and cheese pie (I know that for some of you, the idea of a pie with meat in it is madness, but they're a staple here)
    - beetroot slices in our hamburgers
    - hokey pokey ice-cream (vanilla ice cream with little golden crunchy bits in it)

There's not much food-wise that is uniquely NZ though, because we're such a multicultural place. For example, Thai food is really popular, but we can't claim that as being a NZ thing.

8. Disciple of The Watch

Hey, that actually sounds great. Meat and cheese combined together? I can't think of anything better. :yum:

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thank you, Harbourboy. I love Kiwi fruit but I bet what I get in my supermarket doesn't taste as good as what you can get.

That pavlova sounds interesting. Can you get the recipe from your wife?

Beetroot slices in hamburgers does raise my eyebrow a bit.

I've had steak and kidney pie (in England). Again, a recipe?

Don't think we have the equivalent of hokey pokey ice-cream. At least I haven't come across anything that sounds like that.

Now we need someone from Africa to post a few interesting dishes from there.

I love learning about new foods. Not the commercial fast food type things like Eggos but real food.

10. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Nakia pavlova is two meringue circles about 12" across slowly baked and left in the oven overnight to dry nicely, sandwiched together with creanm and fresh fruit, decorated with more cream and fruit.

Delish and it's basically the national dish, everywhere does Pavlova in Kiwiland

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Deepfried Kiwi? Battered?

12. Dice

Media:
    HB, do you eat pickled beets? I imagine those would taste pretty good in a hamburger.

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I love pickled beets, and I'm imagining hokey-pokey ice cream to be soemthing like a toffee crunch. Is that what the "golden bits" are, HB? Toffee, aka praline?

Wiki has a nice entry on Pavlova, but the URL contains forbidden chars and can't be linked here. :( Interesting how European chefs have a penchant for inventing desserts for divas from down under...

14. Disciple of The Watch

Of course. :yum:

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Oh I tried a Caeser wrap and it was super delicious! :love: :yum:

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The recipe for pavlova is pretty much:
    Beat some egg whites with sugar until they are all peaky, mould it into a cake shape and bake it. Easy to describe but tough to get right. Better off just buying one from the shop. Actually, it's quite a dull dessert, unless you garnish it with something nice (coincidentally, the garnish is usually slices of kiwifruit)

The beetroot that goes into a hamburger is the stuff that comes out of a tin. Don't know if you would call that 'pickled' or not, but it is vinegar-y.

17. Nakia

Media:
    OOh, I love that pickled beet stuff. Never thought to try it with hamburger tho. One day when I'm feeling gastromically brave I will try it.

Don't think I can get ready made pavlova here. Would have to make my own.

18. Dice

Media:
    Sounds like pickled beets to me.

I discovered today 1000 year old mummified buzzard would probably taste better than my deep-fried chicken :yum: Well, o.k., maybe I'm being a little hard on myself. Maybe my deep-fried chicken would be just as good and 1000 year old mummified buzzard.

Now I know why I don't ever deep fry things.

19. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Our recipies are very versitile over here. Sodabread Pizzas are very popular and we love chicken tandoori champ.

You will never find these in a foreign owned 'Irish' pub.

20. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Dfly using KFC's secret recipe were we?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.