1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I'm probably about to start a whole new series of rants, but if fiber is indigestible, that is, if it, ah, passes through, so to speak, is wheat bran food? Just thought I might try a different argument on my doctor, see.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bran is not fiber alone; it contains many nutrients.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I made my first Yorkshire puddings with supper.

Now I know why India got invaded.

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've made popovers before! They are pretty much the same thing as Yorkshire pudding. You're supposed to serve them with gravy but I like mine with a little dab of melted butter. :yum: Damn tasty.

5. revmaf

Well, I guess that argument won't do, either.

BTW, made REAL oatmeal - what we in the U.S. call steel-cut oats, or Irish oatmeal, or Scottish oatmeal - overnight in a small (1 1/2 quart) slow cooker. Really good, though there was a bit of a crust on the pot - but that came off with a soak, just peeled off in one piece.

OTOH, making it in the microwave just doesn't do very well, and making it on the stovetop takes forever and results in a really messy pan.

Can you tell I have been read the nutritional riot act? Oh, well.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Potato salad, for aprox 2 to 3 persons:

Cook some 6 medium potatoes. Let them then cool, peel them and cut them into slices. Peel and chop a smallish onion. Cut a three largish cornichons from the glass and chop them as well. Add chopped parsley and chives. Add chopped bacon, or ham from Parma, if you like. Chopped green olives, and Feta cheese or chopped tomatoes are nice additions, too.

For the sauce take or make mayonnaise, some vinegar, a largish spoon of mustard, salt, pepper and taste. It should be slightly sour. Add all the chopped stuff into the sauce, stir, and let it rest in the fridge for roughly two hours.

Serve with some bread, mustard, and Wieners, and a beer. It'll be my dinner today.

PS: Onions with self-made mayonnaise are somewhat problematic in the summer as they will perish quicker in the heat due to the onion juice, not to mention the salmonella risk in fresh eggs. So, in the summer, use of ready mayonnaise is suggested, unless you're sure the salad will be eaten the same evening.

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Potato bread

450g (1lb) potatoes
    30g (1oz) butter
    1 level tsp salt
    100g (3.5oz) plain flour
    1tbs Baking Soda

1. Peel the potatoes, cut them into small pieces, and put them in a pan of boiling water. After about twenty minutes, or as soon as they are soft, drain them and mash them up so no big lumps remain.

2. While still warm, mix in the butter and salt.

3. Start working the flour and baking soda in. You may not need it all, depending on the texture of the potatoes. Just add enough to make a good, stiff dough.

4. Roll the dough out to form a circle about 1cm thick, and cut into triangular quarters.

5. Cook on a hot, dry gridle or frying pan which has been sprinkled with flour to prevent sticking (wait until flour has turned brown). No oil or fat is needed; the purpose is just to cook the dough, not to fry it.

6. Turn the bread occasionally; it is ready when both sides are golden brown.

Tastes really good on its own, but even better with goats cheese.

Edit: Pic of Sodabread (top) and Potato Bread (bottom).

[ February 08, 2007, 16:13: Message edited by: Cúchulainn ]

8. Dice

Media:
    Thanks Cúchulainn, I just copy pasted that to my recipes file and I'm going to try making it tomorrow. It sounds very good and I think my family will like it.

@ Revmaf - You know... if you don't like wheat bran then you could always just eat a couple of scouring pads to clean out your intestines. :D

9. revmaf

@Dragonfly, I will be sure to bring that dietary tip up to my internist. ;)

@Cúchulainn, the potato bread sounds divine but probably should not be on my menu at the moment. However, I am keeping the recipe!

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hope you 2 enjoy it. Goes really well with most cooked breakfasts. You can also add apple to the recipe.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    :bigeyes: Boiled eggs are awesome. Take an egg, pierce the shell, boil it 7 minutes - ready. Just awesome :bigeyes:

12. Dice

Media:
    I was going to try the potato bread recipe Cúchulainn, but I realized that I don't have a grill to make them on. Do you think there is a way that I could cook it in the oven?

13. revmaf

Dragonfly, I think you could do it on any flattish pan, a saute pan or frying pan would do it. Oven cooking them probably won't result in the kind of bread you'd expect, but might still taste good - no experience with that.

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Dfly As revmaf says any griddle pan would do the job, don't try them in the oven, they don't really come out right

15. revmaf

Slow Cooker Marinara and Mozzarella Lasagna

This comes from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two, by Beth Hensperger. If you're a lasagna purist you will be displeased, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I haven't tried it with any of the add-ins. The recipe is written for a small (in my case 3 quart) slow-cooker but I think it could be doubled for a larger one. It serves 2 or 3; I eat leftovers for a couple of meals after the first round.

1 - 26 ounce jar marinara sauce of your choice

6-9 sheets no-boil oven ready lasagna noodles, number of sheets you use will depend on size and shape of cooker

8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced or cubed

1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino Romano, or aged Asiago cheese (my note: all options are very expensive where I live but it does make a difference to use good cheese here)

1. Wipe the inside of the slow cooker with an olive-oil soaked paper towel. Using a large spoon, spread 2 or 3 tablespoons of marinara sauce over the bottom of the crock. Break a pasta sheet into pieces to cover the sauce; it doesn't matter what size or shape the pieces are, just jigsaw them into place. Cover with 2 to 3 tablespoons of sauce and a layer of mozzarella cheese. Make 5 to 6 layers total, ending with the marinara sauce. Sprinkle the 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano over the top. The crock will be 2/3 to 3/4 full; the lasagna will collapse as it cooks.

2. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Test for tenderness by piercing the top of the lasagna with a sharp knife at about 3 - 3 1/2 hours. When done the lasagna will be crisp and brown around the edges and curly and bubbly on top. It can be held on the KEEP WARM setting of your slow cooker for up to 2 hours.

Additions and variations listed in the recipe: You can add 2 to 3 layers of vegetables, such as cooked or fresh spinach leaves, roasted red peppers, leftover roasted mixed vegetables, thawed frozen or water-packed artichoke hearts, or sauteed mushrooms. The total cook time will increase by 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the addition. My note: don't add frozen vegetables without thawing them first - it will throw off the whole cooking process and you will end up with burned edges and raw centers, as I have learned from making this mistake in a similar recipe.

Anyway, I've made this twice and liked it both times. Next time I'm going to try some spinach layers.

16. Dice

Media:
    Spinach and tomato based sauces are a marriage made in heavon, in my humble opinion. I often add spinach to spagetti sauce and lots of soups. Boosts the nutrition and the flavour just seems to work with the tomato.

On the topic of spinach, I made spinach burgers the other day for an experiment. I used lean ground beef, an egg, soya sauce, a spoon of tomato paste, onion, cilantro, and some TexMex seasoning in my ground beef (which is how I usually season it) then I added a package of drained frozen chopped spinach. I wasn't sure how it was going to go over but as it turned out, everyone loved it including the baby.

@ Revmaf and DS, thanks for the advice about the potato bread. I now have a bag of potatoes just asking me to try it.

17. revmaf

@ Dragonfly, the spinach burgers sound great. I'm going to try them. Unlike many, I actually like spinach, cooked or fresh in salads - I was quite put out for the many weeks fresh spinach wasn't available in the U.S. because of the E. coli outbreak.

Speaking of outbreaks - I had one of the recalled jars of peanut butter - not for me, I hate the stuff, but I feed it to the wild birds in my yard in cold weather. I pitched it but I haven't seen any dead birds so my guess is there was nothing wrong with that particular jar.

18. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The best thing I can cook involves 3 eggs and whatever else I happen to have lying around the house.

...The results tend to be mixed...

19. revmaf

Mixed, well, yes, they would be, I think.

But the principle is very sound.

20. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

As I stated in RBP, I once again tweaked Sir Bel's Abyssal Chili... here's the end result after the final tweaks:

Sir Bel's Abyssal Chili, DotW remix

• 2 lb (roughly eight) Calvaire Sausage (chopped)
    • 2 lb Diabolical sausage (roughly eight) (chopped)
    • 1 big can of tomato juice
    • ¾ Cup tomato paste
    • 1 Can dark red kidney beans
    • 1 Can black turtle beans
    • 4 tsp garlic powder
    • 4 tsp Ground chili powder
    • 1 tsp Oregano
    • 1 tsp Cumin
    • 1 tsp Turmeric
    • 8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
    • 8 tsp ground Red Peppers
    • 3 tsp Paprika
    • 1 full bottle of Tabasco
    • 8 dashes habanero sauce
    • 2 Bay leaves
    • 2 tsp corn meal (optional)

I've cranked up the doses of sausages, Habanero sauce, added more ground red peppers and eliminated ground beef in an effort to give it an extra kick, and I'm far from disappointed - one bowl of that sucker and I felt like I just downed a gallon of napalm...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.