1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dentists...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh no, I haven't had one, I was just replying to the post above mine!

But thanks for your concern :D

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Mea culpa, Barmy Army, sorry.
    Sometimes my brain refuses to cooperate with my reading apparatus. :lol:

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...it can't feel any worse than how my tooth feels now. Somehow about 30% of the tooth in question broke off one day, leaving the nerve semi-exposed...so eating/drinking *anything* remotly cold is like being kicked in the face. :nolike:

I'm actually looking forward to it, his chairs are more comfortable than most, and he has TVs mounted in the celing, so I might bring 'I Am Legend' along with me. :D :rolling:

4. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hahaha.....Kitrax you masochist - surely 'My little Pony sees a rainbow' would be a more suitable title!

btw, what dental product manufacturer did you work for? (I'm curious :) )

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    *GASP*
    Well...you've found me out...I guess there's no point in hiding it anymore. :p :rolleyes:
    The fast of the matter is, my tooth is hurting so much that taking care of it will be a huge relief.

Ultradent Products Inc.
    The company treats its employees like s***...which is why i *used* to work there. :nolike: :rolling:

6. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Can't stand dentists myself.

May have been unlucky but first dentist I had insisted I needed a teeth pulled to because 'it was less important'? than one it was blocking.

That was all well and good, but I ended up having a really nasty reaction to the local anaesthetic and hallucinating for the rest of the day. :eek:

After that I moved to another dentist and it was literally a case of a 2.5 minute consultation.

On coming to Uni I decided I really ought to go back, but the NHS assessed me as being able to pay £85 per visit - which as a student I can't! Others of my flatmates at the time in the same situation got it for free. Don't you love the NHS!

My teeth IMO are rather crooked and could have done with a brace when I was younger, but the 2.5 minuter considered them to be fine. :mad:

Alex

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

When I was a kid I was a complete wimp about going to the dentist. Then my Dad sat me down and talked about some of the disgusting mouths he had seen -- blackened pits, huge holes, etc. He also told me, nicely of course, that if I kicked up another fuss at the dentist's office he'd kick my buttinski.

Now, stoicism at the dentist is one of the ways I assert my manhood. Plus, I love it when the hygeniest is hot! I can put up with a lot of pain if there's a hot woman in close proximity to me.

8. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    *BUMP*
    I just got my latest round of dentistry. Two more cavities to fill. Hello drill.
    It's times like this I really dislike my teeth... LOL darn birth defect.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Next week, Wednesday at 9:00 am, root extraction :outta:

10. Ragusa

Media:
    So today I had that root extraction on a molar, three roots, nerve - surprise! - wasn't quite dead yet. So I got Novocaine. My tooth then continued sending that message pointedly through the layer of Novocaine.

11. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Since I can remember I have bad teeth. The last few years were "epic" in terms of visits. The last couple of years I usually visit the dentist every 2 months for work on my teeth. They are crumbling in an alarming rate. I can't help it. Several years ago I changed my diet for teeth preservation and brush 2 times a day. I floss after everything I eat. Still, my teeth are crumbling, even as we speak. I hate my teeth :o

Next week I have a appointment for one of my molars. A metal filling fell out and took half the molar with it :o

I had 5 extractions, 2 root canals and have 2 crowns. The worst experience was when they extracted my last (I had 4) wisdom tooth. The canal had a hooklike shape which made it nearly impossible to extract it without destroying the gums. Unfortunately, my dentist didn't realise it untill she was pulling for 30 minutes. She consulted a fellow dentist. He looked in my mouth, took the plyers, put his knee on my chest (!) and put a lot of pressure on the molar. I was in a lot of pain, but both dentists said that couldn't be due to the 6 injections I had. Then I fainted... After I revived and 45 minutes later the tooth was extracted and my gums and cheeck destroyed. I needed 2 weeks before I would get anything near my mouth.

I'm still with that denstist and even went to the butcher who uses his skill in the martial arts for extractions...

I still go, but can't sleep weeks before an appointment, but I still go.

What bothers me is my little brother. He's 22 and never had any problems. I'm 5 years older and have hell to pay with my teeth.

12. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Drugar, you have my sympathies. The past two years for me have seen 5 extractions, a root canal, an implant, and two crowns. My wisdom teeth came put easier than yours. only one of mine cracked during extraction.
    Tomorrow I go in to get two cavities filled, and my dentist is also going to check the rest of my fillings to make sure they're still holding well, since I did have one partially break and take the back half of a bicuspid with it. That tooth will need to be crowned too, and I have been told gum surgery will be involved there.

I know the reason for my weak teeth, my mom got toxemia while pregnant with me, which caused several minor birth defects, the weakness of my teeth being the worst.

Drugar likes this.
  13. Drugar

Media:
    And you have mine Stefanina. I know what you are coping with although I do not have bad teeth because of a birth defect. They are just not that strong.

Next tuesday, or doomsday as I like to call it, I have an appointment again. Last weekend, one of my metal fillings broke off while eating a piece of soft bread (yeah, big bummer!). The filling took almost half my molar with it. It doensn't hurt, but feels nasty. Half the soft tissue in the teeth (don't know the english term for it, sorry) is exposed by it and I'm affraid it is going to be my 6th exraction, or maybe my 3rd root canal. My dentist loves those. My bank account doens't :o

I'll report back when it's over.

14. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    I celebrated my two new fillings by slurping down raw oysters and beer. My dentist is cool though, giving me several breaks when I got too tired to hold my mouth wide open. He did bruise me with the drill though, trying to get to the back of the second molar. Couldn't be helped though.

15. Ragusa

Media:
    I go to my dentist since I was seven years old. He is very thorough, and what he fixes lasts. It's just that he is a little rough at times. He's got a dry humour. When he hit my nerve and I was going ballistic in his chair, he paused, remarking that he now better gives me Novocain, lest I would probably hold a grudge against him. Also, I get pauses whenever I need them.

Now all that still doesn't mean I like going to my dentist, any dentist, but it helps somewhat.

16. Drugar

Media:
    "Congratulations" on your new additions ;)

I have my appointment tomorrow and am nervous as hell (like always). The only thing that keeps me going is the fact that my biggest passion in life is playing the trumpet and that's very hard to do with false teeth. I don't know what I'll do if one day all my teeth have to come out and I won't be able to play any more :(:(:(

17. Danilus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've never actualy had a problem with Dentists or my teeth for that matter but when my bottom wisdom teeth came through they hurt like hell and the pain was astonishing. I had one of them removed in January but now I have to have hte other one removed soon. :(

18. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Implants. A post is cemented into your jaw, and a crown is built on that. I've had an implant done on #4 (upper left bicuspid).

19. Drugar

Media:
    I've heared about implants. The problem with playing the trumpet is that your teeth play a big part in making the sound. If the make implants and the "configuration" of the implants are off, it could result in me learning to play all over again. And maybe with loss off flexibility and sound. :(

I went to the dentist today. The molar I was worry about has an infection beneath it. Next thursday I have an appointment for a root canal. I'm fairly happy with that, because I was affraid it needed to be extracted.

On a positive note, the dentist did compliment me on my fine maintenance on my teeth. She didn't find any plaque anywhere and that quiet supprised her. My girlfriend came with me and started laughing. She refered to me as a toothpick maniac! :D

20. Ragusa

Media:
    Root canal round 3: It took my dentist five attempts to place the root fillings to his (and ultimately my) satisfaction. It lasted all in all 3 1/2 hours, with control x-rays for each try. Well, now they are in, and as my body will refuse those root fillings as alien I can expect to have tooth ache for about two to five days, which is normal, as he cheerfully said :aww:

Because that could be problematic (indication: the pain would then last longer) my dentist prefers to wait and see how it turns out (instead of sealing my molar only to have to break it up again in worst case). That's why I got another temporary filling.
    Which also means I have a fourth appointment to eventually get my permanent filling.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.