1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo 2 & Sorceress builds

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by Ziad, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, I need some advice here, I am playing a conc barb in single player. I just defeated Baal on normal difficulty last night, and one of the items dropped was what initially appeared to be a ho-hum magical (blue) tower shield. Yet, it turned out to be an uber shield. It was a mechanics (2 sockets) tower shield of deflection (+20% chance to block, for a total of 69%). The shield is currently in my weapons switch, as I have no idea how to socket this bad boy. Should I just play it safe and throw 2 PD (not that I have a PD yet) on it once I acquire them? I'm taking suggestions.

It should also be pointed out that I started a nightmare game last night, and my resistances are OK for nightmare. They are all in the 50s or 60s, except cold which is only at 13%. Looking ahead to hell difficulty, I'm thinking I'll need all the resistance I can muster. Still, I'm willing to consider alternatives. 2PD in the shield, and I can also craft a prismatic amulet, and that should give +50+% resist all, which basically would max out all my resistances in nightmare.

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If you use Atma I would mule it off if you don't need it, keep it for another day and yeas, probably 2 x PD in the sockets.

Another possibility might be shael's to up the block rate I guess if your resistances are decent enough, or one of each.

Of course 2 x 40/15's would be great, but sigh, only the dupehores on B-net ever have two of those.

Edit - Sounds like it's time to try something other than a concentrator, eh? We should make a game where everyone in the group has to play something new to them :)

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, I certainly COULD use it. I mean, even if not immediately, I can't imagine that I'll have no use for a 69% block rate shield with resist all 38% come hell difficulty. In fact, if I had the two PDs to put in it right now, I probably would be using it. My active shield is currently a set item (I forget the name) that gives the same 69% chance to block, and +1 to all skills. I'd take the resistances over the +1 skills in a heartbeat, I just don't have the PDs right now, but they will come in time. I already have 2 flawless diamonds, a two regular diamonds, plus one or two lesser quality ones, and so with just a few more I can upgrade to the PDs.

I'm not sure that's such a great idea for HC. Playing classes that aren't your strong suit that you are inexperienced with, seems like a recipe for disaster.

4. Viking Gems: 19/31

But fun ;) Anarchic fun :D

I've started a thread to guage interest. Since I am proposing a completely no twink group we could also guage interest pre ladder reset (since that could be never).

5. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

After whining about how D2's quests are stupid and boring in another thread yesterday I read this thread and installed D2 again. :lol: Started with a sorcerer. Chain Lightning + Frozen Orb will be the main spells. I have never succeeded in hitting something with a meteor in the past. :shake:

6. Viking Gems: 19/31

Hydra / Orb, FB / Orb and CL / Orb are all very viable alternatives, and yeah, I know what you mean about the Meteor......

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Where?

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Aldeth: Just use the diamonds. I don't think there is any better choise, since higher res in shield means that you can free up your other slots for more specific needs (e.g: skills amulets).

Not really. If you have learned anything from playing D2, you know that by being careful enough you do not necessarily need to take a single point of damage. I had never played as an amazon, but my current char is already lv.80 plaguezon/strafer. ;)

Thinking of trying a BO/throwing-axe barb next. BO to double the hit-points and throwing-axes to keep the distance. Will require a very careful playing style, though, since I won't be having shields or anything. Just pure offence, so all points to double-throw and attack-modifiers.

By the way, does concentrate help with throwing-axes? Which one would be better: double-throw or concentrate? :hmm:

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Double throw of course - and you would take the axe mastery too for the enhanced %hit and %damage. Concentrate is a melee attack, which would kind of defeat the purpose of your idea.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Throwing-axe mastery. "Axe mastery" is a different thing. ;)

By what I have seen, the BO/Throwing-axe barb will need quite a lot of STR and DEX, with the requirment going somewhere around 140 each. Might be remembering it wrong, but if it is so, then VIT will suffer (max. 80 points?).

On the other hand, he should have several extra skill-points to spare, since only two skills are mandatory. Perhaps I should max his speed and natural resistances just for the fun of it? Nothing like zipping through the map while throwing Axes of Terror with capital "T." :D

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    :doh: Yeah, I meant throwing mastery - my bad.

As far as stat point distribution, I would recommend giving 2 to strength and dexterity every level, and one to vitality. Don't forget that each point spent in vitality gives 4 life points, which will turn out to be much more than that with maxed out BO.

You're not going to have *that* many spare skill points. Between BO, thowing mastery, and double throw, that's already 60, and there's 5 or 6 prerequisites for those skills to boot.

I see nothing wrong with a point or two thrown into natural resistances - it's always helpful - and I also spend at least one point in find item, and rely on +skill items to get it higher.

Realistically speaking, you're only going to be able to max out 4 skills. Since three skills are already spoken for, I think the best remaining option is definitely shout, especially considering you were interested in concentrate. Like concentrate, it also greatly increases your defense. However, it's a battle cry, so you can cast shout pre-battle and then immediately switch back to double throw for the fight. As an added bonus, BO and Shout synergize with each other, so spending points in one will increase the duration of the other...

12. Viking Gems: 19/31

Since this thread is about Sorceress builds, I can recommend Charged Bolt as a viable skill too.

OK, mine has been a long time in the planning since about 6 months ago when I found a Charged Bolt Ormus. You know what it's like - Sometimes you find an item and just have to make a build around it :D

This is a viable build no twink because of the cheap Spirit and Insight RW's (though you'll have to enable these in Single Player as they are realm only).

Basic build: 20 CB, 20 Lightning, 20 LM, 20 FO (Damnded LI's!), 5 cold pre-req's and 1 Frozen armour and CM, 1 static, 1 TK and 1 Teleport.

The build is finished at 80. Spares to either TK (I get ES from switch weapon), or Cold Mastery. I might try 1 pt into Chain Lighting, since I have a lot of synergies already here.

OK, she hasn't taken on deep Hell yet; we just finished A2/Q1 for the skill point, and dinged 75 for the complete change of gear.

Now resists are a major concern and in all honesty, Viper might well be a better armour for this build. Somewhat easier to come by too. I'm not changing it back though!

Basics: chill everything to slow it down with FO, then hold the RM down for a carpet of sparkly death. The closer they get, the faster they hurt.

Edit:
    Here :)

[ November 06, 2006, 15:57: Message edited by: Viking ]

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I know of this build. It's commonly referred to as "The Sparkler".

14. Viking Gems: 19/31

Lol - 'Sparklygirl' just made Matriarch this weekend.

I'd call it a Boltress mind, but that's just me.

15. Dengo Gems: 8/31

Veteran

My Chain Lig.+Frozen Orb is in Nightmare now. I just destroyed the High Council and going to farm Mephisto for a while. I'm lvl 56 now, I have 220 vitality, 80 strength. Energy and dex. are base values. I am planning to put all stat points to Vitality in the future. Should I put more stat points to STR? Can anyone advise me?

Also Aldeth wrote:
    I have one. BTW I don't have any mods. I won it by gambling from Gheed. +7 all resists and %22 Magic find. Wonderful. :thumb:

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    :eek: Wow! 220 vitality at level 56! Even my barbarians don't get that high of vitality so early. Of course, that's partially due to me using a shield, meaning I can't keep dexterity at base. I guess you don't use a shield and you go with 2-handed staves. Although, I suppose if you never engage in melee, the need for a shield is reduced.

As far as strength is concerned, your need is going to be based on your equipment. IIRC, the strength requriements for elite light armors go up to around 100. So I would recommend going a little higher in strength. Maybe go 1 strength, 4 vitality from here on out with your level ups. There's no point in using a shield with your low dexterity, and none of the other equipment you'd pick could possibly have a higher strength requirement than your armor. Check out the strength requirements on the elite version of studded leather armor, and go for that.

17. Dengo Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Thanks for advice. I've searched for elite Studded Leather and it requires 111 Str. I'll do that. I killed Diablo and now I'm lvl 61. I've more than 20 remaining stat points.

I use a shield but not for blocking (gothic shield with 3 PD). I need resistances. I'm approaching Hell. :mommy: IMHO Blocking isn't that necessary since nothing can touch me. I kill them before they see me. :cool: Resistances are more important against enemy mages and most bosses.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Since you are using a shield, you should probably look to upgrade that as well. While blocking is not important to you, once you hit hell difficulty 4-socketed shields become available. Since you probably need as much resist all as you can get, trading in your current one for a 4-socket one (regardless of what the type is) should be a priority. I hope you have some extra pdiamonds lying around.

19. Viking Gems: 19/31

Oooh, the lowest req 4 soc shield is a Monarch which is 156 str.

That is WAY more than anything else you use will need.

Much better would be a 2 pd Mosers (63 res all) or just straight 3pd shield for 57. 40+ stat points is a lot to spend on 19 res all. I would not rush to up your str for armour eiher. Dusk only needs 77 str. I would wait to see what you find to be honest rather than rush the strength you might not need.

Actually I'd say that a much better use of a Monarch would be Spirit anyway for a sorc, which does have some resists but lacks fire. +2 skills, 55 FHR, up to 35 fcr... Now what is not to like about that? Oh yeah, the str req. ;)

Smoke (nef lum) is a great runeword if you need some reists in a hurry (50 res all).

20. Dengo Gems: 8/31

Veteran

156! :jawdrop: That's too much. I currently have a 3PD shield. As you wrote 2 pd Mosers seems like a good option if I can find it.

@Aldeth: I forgot to ask why did you recommend Wire Fleece. Unique Wire Fleece (elite studded leather) isn't that good. Is there something I miss?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.