1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo II Single Player Thread - 2

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by dmc, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Remember that only the boss can possibly spawn both CI and PI. When I played my FC/Fury Druid and ran into something that was FI and PI (which happened I think twice in the entirety of hell difficulty), I just killed all the rest of the pack, and ran from the boss.

I know a lot of people who like working out first thing in the morning - I've never been able to force myself to do that. I tend to work out after work. In fact, I usually work out at night, after Jack goes to bed. Last night I finished my workout at 9:30. I haven't had a gym membership in years. A lot of people say that buying a membership gives them incentive to go the gym, but with me it's the opposite. I would rather work out in my house than go somewhere - there's nothing more convenient than that. And I'm sure my wieght and workout equipment has paid for itself in the costs of gym memberships over the years.

I have never played softball, or any organized form of baseball since Little League. Those blisters sound painful though to be sure.

2. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Gladiator's Bane is a one-shop solution to merc fragility problems, ESPECIALLY for classes that actually need a durable tank to stave off mob packs. Even more so if the merc in question doesn't get any sort of a defense bonus.

There's more to that piece of armor than meets the eye.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Agree Rechet - the only negative thing you can say about GB is that it has a very high level requirement - 85 IIRC.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Finished act IV. Hellforge dropped a Gul and then a random nobody dropped a frickin' LO.

Diablo dropped a medusa's gaze, which was new for me. High strength requirement though.

Also, went back to NM to change mercs and my NM respec is there. I know I never used the normal one, so I have no clue on what happened to it.

Anyway, the new durance map is much better -- waystone is two rooms from the stairs down.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  5. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Ooh, shiny!

What are you planning to use that LO for? A Grief, perhaps? (My personal recommendation - that weapon is a beast. Even beastier beast than Beast.)

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    These have been some lucky runs. Just rescued Anya and, on the way, found my first Reaper's Toll. +220%ED and 15% life leech.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I finished Hell with my necro. While my Pit, Countess, and Meph maps are all crap, I have an awesome Baal map. I might run Baal a bunch of times just because it's so quick. (My merc doesn't have any CB, so Baal himself isn't so quick - he takes a few minutes to kill on p3, although he has no ability to kill me or my army. Decrep him, throw a CG on him, and then switch over to amp. Once the CG goes to work on him, combined with the slowing effect from the cold mages, he's slow enough that he cannot really do anything, even without decrepify.

The find of the weekend was actually from Pindle - the unique Archon Staff, Mang Song's Lesson:

+5 To All Skills
    +30% Faster Cast Rate
    -15% To Enemy Lightning Resistance
    -15% To Enemy Cold Resistance
    -15% To Enemy Fire Resistance
    Regenerate Mana 10%
    +50% Damage To Undead

The +5 to all skills is nice, although it can be easily matched with an Occulus + Spirit shield, and you then get resistances to boot - from the shield and Occulus, and you'd get 50% mf. Still, it's TC87, with a qlvl of 86, so it's among the highest item that Pindle can drop. Then again, Occulus + Spirit doesn't offer the -% enemy elemental resistances, so maybe it would offer superior damage.

8. dmc

Media:
    Wow. Just, wow. Reaper's Toll is nuts. The merc is an engine of death and destruction. Plus, I punched a hole in it so I can socket it with whatever I feel like later on. I swapped headgear out and gave him Guillaum's Face to preserve the CB aspect and, well, just wow. My bear and merc slaughtered Meph and Diablo with ease -- I wanted to see how the merc would do, so I didn't advance ground, just ran the two bosses I had available on a short map.

I don't think it makes sense to give the weapon to my necro's merc, as he doesn't die and my necro can cover the decrep there, but, for any character but the necro, I have to think this is THE weapon to use (unless I need insight for mana purposes or maybe Kelpie Snare for Baal killing, but, even in that case, I think Reaper's Toll is better).

Seriously, just, wow . . .

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Your analysis is spot-on. With the exception of some high-end and aura-granting RWs, Reaper's is considered the best merc weapon. You're also right that the only character class where this isn't the case is the necro, as you don't want the ctc Decrepify to over-write your necro's curses. For just about any other class though, it's the bomb.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Bah! For the first time since Friday, I had the opportunity to play last night, and what an unrewarding experience. I ran the Countess, Pit, Pindle, Shenk/Eldritch, Meph and Baal and for all my troubles the best thing I found was an Io rune. Tick me off. I know there's no guaranteed drops here, but that's still mighty disappointing.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    A little better with the mf last night. I acquired the armor for M'Avina's set, and that was the next-to-last piece I needed. The problem is I think the last piece, the headgear, is a diadem, making it pretty damn rare.

I also gambled a +3 shadow disciplines amulet, meaning my item acquisition for my assassin is nearly complete. In fact, unless I get my hands on a pair of Shadow Dancers, I'd say it IS complete.

12. dmc

Media:
    See, I figured it wouldn't be hard to get a +3 shadown disciplines ammy when that's one of ony three things you actually gamble.

As for the diadem, if you need it, I can email you one. I think I have three or so of them.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    True - I wasn't a confident as you were. +3 skills amulets can spawn for any of the 21 skill trees in the game. +3 skill amulets have an ilvl of 60, meaning you can possibly gamble one as low as level 56, and guaranteed to have a high enough ilvl to gamble one once you reach level 65. So it wasn't like I was concerned about the ilvl. The thing is, all of those +3 skill amulets are in the same "group" so even when the game decides to pick from that group, you only have a 1 in 21 chance of getting that specific one.

I still have to look into gloves. I'm not entirely sure what I have there. Ideally, I'll want something from the rare options, that gives +skills and IAS.

14. dmc

Media:
    My windy finished hell at last. Baal dropped crap. However, along the way I picked up some acceptable runes, the Trang Oul helm (which I dindn't have yet for some reason) and various things that might make a paladin acceptable as the next character. I only played the initial freezalot in the paladin class, and I am thinking of a hammerdin as a next character due to the fact that it fits my desired criteria of mass killing.

I will research the class and decide.

How's the assassin working out?

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    What little I played this weekend was with the necro, not the assassin. I had friends in town on Friday and Saturday, and then Sunday is football, so there wasn't a heck of a lot of time gaming this weekend. We went to the zoo and an Orioles-Yankee game on Saturday, and so other than watching football, the only thing I did Sunday was all the other house stuff that I normally do on Saturday.

I'm not even sure the assassin will be my next character. I'm still trying to decide between an assassin and a amazon. I have a lot of the gear I'd like to have for both of them, although I probably will go assassin next just for the new experience - it's the only character class that I've never played all the way through hell.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I haven't played much in the last few days, but in an bit of an upset, I decided to go with the WWS amazon as my next character. I started the assassin, but I'm still in Act I, and one of the things that's a bit annoying (that I had not realized) is that yet use a lot of the equipment I've saved up for the character thus far. I tend to only look at the level requirement of start-up equipment. So I found a starting assortment of claws that had level requirements of 12 and lower. The problem is that most claws have fairly significant strength and dexterity requirments. You're basically stuck with katars for quite some time not because you don't meet the level requirements but the stat minimums. For example, I found two or three really nice blade talons with low level requirements, but they have a strength and dex requirement of 55 for each - that takes a while to get to.

For the WWS zon, I'm in Act 3 and I now have strafe. With only 4% mana leech, I'm having difficulty using it exclusively, but I think that will be a problem that will rectify itself. I'm adding about 2 points per level up to dexterity, and strafe will improve damage by 5% per level up, as well as giving more arrows per strafe volley. It shouldn't take too long before I start leeching back more than I use.

I am still using the Arctic set, and I will probably continue to do so until I hit level 41. That's when I'll make wholesale changes to a lot of different equipment. I'll switch out the Arctic bow, armor and gloves with WWS, Lionheart, and some gloves that give me +skills (still not decided yet on which ones will be the best option). That's also when I'll switch out the belt, as the belt is basically crap if you aren't using the rest of the set.

17. dmc

Media:
    Ran through the first two acts with my hammerdin. I am getting the hang of aiming the hammers. Using Milabrega's set with uniques on the jewelry, belt, gloves and boots. He's around level 28 or so, but I don't expect to change out of the set for another dozen levels or so. I figure I should be able to finish normal this week and start running Baal to level up to an acceptable level. I will respec in NM to reduce strength and pump vitality (I boosted strength initially to be able to use certain equipment, but I don't think I'll need it as high as it is once I can use Enigma because of its massive strength boost).

I am actually thinking of simultaneously leveling the hammerdin and another character so that I don't get too bored, but I might just limit my D2 play instead, we'll see.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Milabrega is an excellent choice for a paladin in the early going with the +3 to all pally skills. Better hammers, and better level in Concentration (I think that's the name of the only aura that affects BH). The only downside is what you mentioned - a 100 str requirement on the armor. That said, is 100 strength really too much? I know you've told me this before, but I forget - what armor do you have Enigma in? I imagine it's an elite piece, so I'm guessing you need somewhere in the ballpark of 100 to equip it anyway. (Archon plate, for example, is 103 IIRC.)

19. dmc

Media:
    It's Archon Plate, but I think my end game equipment has strength bonuses to it. So long as I equip the armor after some of the other equipment, I will be fine with less strength (and it's not like I really use the respecs anyway . . . ) Then, I can equip the armor which will, in turn, let me equip my Spirit (in a monarch).

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That's the strange thing about the Hammerdin. While the paladin is generally thought of as a melee class, a hammerdin is a caster, and thus, benefits more from the bonuses of Enigma than he would from Chains of Honor. The one thing that CoH doesn't do is give a bonus to defense, while I believe Enigma does (~700 IIRC).

I take it you are using the standard Hammerdin build, maxing Blessed Hammer, Concentration, and both of the BH synergies, Vigor and Blessed Aim.

There was one change that was made to BH in the latest patch, and it bears mentioning. Prior to 1.13, even though Blessed Hammer dealt magic damage, it ignored the immunities of magic immune monsters. This feature has been removed in 1.13, and so Blessed Hammer will do no damage to magic immunes.

Most 1.13 Hammerdins get around this by selecting Holy Shield as their 5th skill. You already have all of the prerequisites to Holy Shield by maxing Blessed Hammer and it's synergies, so it doesn't cost you anything else to get it, and Holy Shield is useful in its own right. Holy Shield gives a significant damage bonus to Smite (which you'll already have as a prerequisite anyway), and use Smite against magic immunes. Many Hammerdins like using a 1-pt Smite for bosses as well, as crushing blow on your equipment is transferred to Smite, so in the case of Act bosses, it is often quicker using Smite over Blessed Hammer.

There will literally be nothing in the game that you won't be able to kill at that point. The only creatures in the game that can spawn both magic and physical immune are undead, and Blessed Hammer gives a 50% damage bonus per level to Holy Bolt, and you'll already have a point in that as a prerequisite to Blessed Hammer. So on the off chance that you run into a pack of magic and physical immune undead, you whip out Holy Bolt.

There's only one other issue you need to be aware of with a Hammerdin - since BH deals magic damage, you will have no life or mana leech when you use it, and that's the other reason why a lot of Hammerdins like Smite as a second attack as well. Unless you have a ton of +mana per kill equipment on, you'll find it difficult to gain back the mana used without some use of Smite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.