1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo II

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by Aces, May 30, 2008.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, but Balle, Gnarff and Martaug are all playing Paladins. AFAIK, there is nothing a paladin can do other than switch to a non-physical damage attack, or switch to a melee weapon.

It is strange however, that martaug isn't seeing the effects once the caster is dead. Even though he is only doing about 150 points worth of physical damage per swing, that should still kill him quick. He would be unable to survive a single zeal cycle unless he had a few thouand life points, and only druids and barbs get that kind of life.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  2. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

damn it mann! i would looove to have the complete paladin set for my pala! i can digg it man!

3. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yep, that's what it was.
    Finally got caught by one before i could get to him.
    Right before facing Baal's minions to, darn it.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The Idea I had with Thorns would be for the Paladin to engace them but use something other than Zeal. Your one shot that's not your best or most accurate might not kill you with the Iron Maiden, but they will hammer away on your thorns and kill themselves...

It's a theory, and you still may have to down healing potions like beer at a frat party, but It might work...

5. Balle Gems: 19/31

i am at baal on nm now, and got fried by a thorns random mob thing, and yea, that ghandi tactic might just work... i do have a buriza i could use if i wanted too though, and my block is 75% so they will hit me rarely... but i will try it out in like 8 hours or so!

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    If you are talking about Griswald's set, it is probably the most difficult set to assemble in the game. That is because two of the pieces (the helm and the scepter) are in the game's highest treasure class. While I have no desire to go into details of item dropping, suffice it to say that all gear is grouped into various treasure classes, and the higher the treasure class, the more rare that item is. So two of the items you are looking for are among the most rare items in the game. To make matters worse, the scepter is considered class specific, and therefore only drops 1/3 as often as other items in the set. I've been playing D2 for years, I've never completed that set, and I have only seen a handful of players on BNet with the complete set.

Bottom line - I'd shoot for more obtainable equipment.

:doh: Of course! True to my namesake, I forgot about the most obvious work around for a paladin - use the skill vengence. It deals almost exclusively elemental damage, and iron maiden only returns physical melee damage. Vengence does fire, cold, and electrical damage all at once, so nothing is immune to it, and the damage is so high a single point in the skill should do. It also uses a single swing (unlike zeal that does 5 swings in a row), so it is possible to drink a healing potion if necessary for the little bit of physical damage you'll be doing.

Since all of you guys are using zeal as your main attack, you already have all the prerequisties you need for vengence - just place your next skill point in that skill when you level up. Another bonus for vengence is that it is the best skill to use against physical immune monsters, which are unfortunely fairly common in hell difficulty (all ghosts, gloams - basically all non-corporeal undead - are immune to physical damage). About the only downside to the skill vengence (which is why no one uses it as a primary attack) is that it is quite mana intensive. That's not a problem against oblivion knights, as you only need a couple of whacks to take them down. It is annoying against ghosts on hell because those creatures drain mana when they hit you.

The buriza is a great idea, as it's not a melee weapon! If you put any type of bow/crossbow/throwing weapon on your weapon switch, iron maiden won't effect you.

While I always advocate going for 75% block with all characters (especially characters that are primarily melee), your chance to block will do you no good against Iron Maiden, because the damage you take is not from them hitting you - it's from you hitting them. All physical damage you deal is returned to you, so you can't block it. Where iron maiden is concerned, it doesn't matter if you have a 75% chance to block or no shield at all.

7. martaug Gems: 23/31

Yep vengeance has been a very nasty suprise for the hell demons, only problem is that my 5% mana per hit sometimes isn't enough to keep up with the cost. Thats what mana potions are for i guess:)

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Vengence just might be the key to surviving those oblivion knights after all...

Does it get boosts from other Paladin skills?

9. martaug Gems: 23/31

vengeance gets +10% damage to the element for each resist "element" level you have. I.E. resist fire level3 gives +30% fire damage, resist lightning level5 gives +50% lightning damage.
    It also gets +2% elemental damage per level of salvation

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The Necrobutcher is now level 82, Hell has become less of a pain than it was, and I got some pretty good loot in my last run - I have a stash full of sets/uniques which I have yet to export. I don't have to bother with the damn cube, but I do have to bother with the F'N Maggot Lair... I hate this F'N dungeon.

11. Balle Gems: 19/31

now i only need the Lo rune for my pala, which has just entered act 1 hell and is having some major problems for the first time...

the monsters are just too much for him, but then again his main gear is not that good, lightsabre, duriels shell, and natalyas helm are pretty bad, but all are necessary sadly, because of the high req's of my items (lightsabre, and stormshield)

i need the Lo rune for the password Greif

and about the griswold set, it was just a very short passing feeling

12. Disciple of The Watch

Ironic, I found a Lo in my last run with the Necrobutcher.

13. Balle Gems: 19/31

sooo... the necro got what the pally needs,

a duel at the town square is in order then?

14. Disciple of The Watch

Duel? Nah, I have the .d2i item file on a flash drive as we speak, I'll just ship out the said file to you.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That's not all that bad actually. I've done hell with less. The problem most people have with the adjustment to hell is that they start hell too early. You really want to be minimum level 70 and preferably 75 before you start hell. Otherwise your character level is low compared to the monsters level, and you have a hard time hitting them with a melee character. (If you are a necro or sorceress, it doesn't really matter).

16. Balle Gems: 19/31

i guess that would also do, yes...

can you ship it to me to my pm here or do you want a pm with my email?

anything i can offer in return? i think i got a gul rune lying around somewhere, and i have a buriza as well!

@aldeth: i am currently lvl 75 and not doing good, i sure hope that this runeword will turn the tide though.. and i think it will!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  17. Disciple of The Watch

Balle, the one item that's of interest to me is Trang-Oul's Scales (y'know, the Chaos Armor). If you can part with that one, all the better, if not, no big deal.

I'm on a bit of rush as I'm leaving for work, but I'll drop you a PM when I arrive from work.

18. Balle Gems: 19/31

and i will ship that right back at ya! and thx

19. Disciple of The Watch

Finally, I have completed Trang-Oul's set. They weren't kidding when they said the Necro would take the appearance of a vampire when the full set is equipped - I look like a freaking Night/Blood/whatever Lord now. Even better, I can use their damn spells! Meteor, Fire wall, and Fireball, anyone?

20. martaug Gems: 23/31

That sounds pretty sweet. Now disciple has a skeleton raising, bone spear throwing, fireball hurling vampire-necrobutcher!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.