1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you pray?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by revmaf, Sep 5, 2008.

?

Do you pray?

1. Yes, regularly and intentionally

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. Yes, sometimes and intentionally

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Yes, sometimes and accidentally ("Oh my God!" for example)

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. No, never

37 vote(s)
    60.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I don't pray. Simple. I find it difficult to believe in god really.

2. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    No, I don't. Being an atheist, I would have nowhere to direct any prayer to, nor would I expect it to change anything.

Y'know, the first thing I thought when I read that was 'perhaps you grant wishes'. Of course, after that I wondered what would happen if you then rubbed yourself. And then I realised just how that sounded.

While you are right that wishing can be a form of prayer, Goli was right to point out that wishing does not have to be directed towards any entity in particular. Sometimes it is just a stated preference that things were not the way they are.

Really? I would strongly dispute that everybody does. Do you have anything to support your assertion?

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

There is the old chestnut "There are no atheists in foxholes!"

But that's hardly solid scientific evidence to back up the aforementioned assertion.

I believe in God, though some days my faith is tested. I do not believe that humanity is the ultimate intelligence in the universe, and I believe there is something greater than I who will aid me if I am humble enough to ask for said aid.

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I have no problem being optimistic that there is a higher being out to help you, or at least listen to you. So I pray, because sometimes it is reassuring. And if there is no higher being it can't hurt because that likely means there's no evil deity looking to punish those who pray.

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    The word God rarely actually applies to the deity in this day and age, even if you are religious you will make references without actually meaning it in a religious sense.

for most people, the use of the word "God" is merely a polite way of getting severty across in conversation.

e.g.

"oh, god sake" as a polite way of saying "oh, for f**k sake"

or "god help you" to say "noone will help you"

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yes, multiple times a day. God is the center of my life.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Ahaha.

Arsenal fan?

8. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    I dont pray, Im quite sure my gods have better things to worry about than my petty concerns. I do however meditate regularly in my quest for ego-death and dissolution of the illusionary barrier between my individual self (itself an illusion) and the rest of the universe (also an illusion). I wouldnt consider 'becoming One' with the ultimate reality 'prayer', and I consider those who do pray to be superstitious and ignorant of the reality of reality. However, if I was moved to prayer (unlikely) I would pray no doubt to the coolest god, Shiva, since he kicks arse, but Im quite certain he has better things to do with his time than listen to the prayers of a hominid on a mote of dust orbiting an insignificant star on the edge of a typical galaxy, like meditating, smoking bhang, having sex with Parvati, dancing, riding Nandi his bull etc etc

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.