1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you smoke?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Barmy Army, May 18, 2007.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh right! Smoking gave the child asthma of course!

What a stupid thing to say pal.

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    No, the child had asthma from birth, but the father's smoking made the condition worse. So he started smoking outside. I don't believe I linked the father's smoking to the son's asthma as cause and effect.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's how it seemed from the wording.

Anyone who smokes around a child wants a good talking to. It's a matter of respect, if nothing else. If you want to smoke, go outside. I do that anyway. I never smoke in the house. A house stinking of fag smoke is... common. Not nice.

4. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

My youngest was three, as I recall, when I took up that habit for my last, and longest, period. One day when with new taxes added in, and a weekend's worth of smokes would cost $10 -- I think that's how it added up -- there were stop smoking patches on sale for a dollar more for five.

I bought patches, not cigarets that day, ending a 30 year habit that had been hovering at two packs a day for a couple of years. It was literally three years before occasional urges to grab at a shirt pocket for the pack would end.

It was only two years before my weight suddenly jumped from 175 to 205, and ended up stuck at 185 .. I wonder if that means I'd have weighed this much back before I was 55 or so and entered the semi- sedentary lifestyle? Ah, well, I wake up each day without that really bad taste in my mouth, and that's worth a very great deal.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I disagree. You know how expensive it is to run and maintain a child? You'd have to feed your kid straw and re-use each nappy 7 times to be able to afford to buy cigarettes as well.

6. Kiwi Gems: 3/31

Veteran

You skipped right past what I wrote without reading it. I did, indeed, combine raising a family, sending kids to private schools, Little League, Pop Warner football, etc. with the smelly habit of smoking cigarets, on an Insurance Underwriter's moderate salary.

Maybe the cigarets are why our vacations were never on Cruise Ships, or at any resorts on the Riviera, the luxury stuff like that . . however, I do seem to recall that the oldest two children missed out on the disposable diapers. I washed cloth diapers every day. The throw-out kind either hadn't existed yet, or started out at a much higher cost than they were when the youngest of the three was born.

When I quit, I was at a checkout register with five packs at almost $2 USD each at the time, about as many as I sometimes smoked on a weekend, and within a week, a new tax cost added was going to make that a $12.50 purchase. A nearby display of stop- smoking patches had five of those marked down to $12, I think. I chose the patches instead.

[ May 26, 2007, 00:10: Message edited by: Kiwi ]

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You may have managed it, but I can't possibly see how the numbers could stack up, unless you are some sort of zillionaire. Cigarettes are expensive!!

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I actually used to smoke back when I was in junior high, but I quit during my freshman year of high school and never went back (thank god). I'm currently 33 years old, so that was a while ago.

That said, I DO still partake in the occasional CIGAR, maybe 6 - 10 in a year, usually for special occasions. I don't inhale those suckers though; it's more about the smooth flavor (I only smoke quality cigars), and there's just something relaxing about a quality stogey, coupled with, say, a glass of brandy.

When my son is born in July, you better believe that I'll be enjoying one of the finest cigars I can get my hands on! :)

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    That's because of the "sin taxes" the government has slapped on tobacco in later years. They used to be more affordable. :p

@Marceror: I couldn't smoke today - cigar or cigarette or whatever, or I would be hooked again.

10. Kiwi Gems: 3/31

Veteran

I haven't paid any attention to the cost in several years, but it hasn't yet been a full decade since I quit that final time. (I'd quit first when I had young children at home, then started again when the boys were older, and my little girl mostly just lived with her mother - that divorce may have figured in the return to the habit.)

11. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yes, unfortunately. You may remember I tried to give up earlier this year, but after about 6 weeks the temptation got me at the wrong time (namely when I was drunk)

Usually about 20 a day, I'm quite a heavy smoker. More often if I'm particularly bored, stressed or depressed. I do intend to give up completely, I just have to find the right time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.