1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Double standards in Europe through Slovak case studies -- did you know these?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Baronius, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Coming from you, that's a statement of truly epic hilarity. Out of the respect I've had for you over the years I haven't kicked you out of the Alleys so far despite you obviously being completely unable to engage in debate without constantly throwing insults at those who don't agree with you, but this is starting to get old. Either post in accordance with our rules from now on or your participation here will be limited to the non-Alley forums.

And you can save your 5-page response lamenting my unfairness etc. - what's been unfair is that I've allowed your antics here for as long as I have.

2. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Not 5 pages, just 5 paragraphs.

You see, when you're disproved and can't say anything to my sound question to you ("does the MEANING of cut-out quote change if the FULL ARTICLE is provided?"), you try to hijack the point by trying to gag me in this "you broke the rules" way.

Actually, the insults your posts contained sometimes were much worse. That is what my "grow up" statement tried to indicate. You totally twisted some of my points, adding even irony and sarcasm, etc. etc. etc.

Indeed it's difficult to engage in a debate when the different view is tried to be oppressed by picking on MINOR points such as a few small foreign-language quotes. And it's difficult to engage in a debate when the different view is tried to be oppressed by "ah, you see, everyone here is against you, which means you're obviously wrong" type of "superior" arguments. Even if you think you are totally right regarding the media law, it still doesn't justify you to trample different views. This is what free debate is about -- to acknowledge the other view, and instead of trying to oppress it with provoking or ironic ways, you can try to find sound arguments against it.

It was not my intention to break your rules, but here you decide who does it and who doesn't. But if you think my impulsive reaction to the cynical insults in your posts (as well) were breaking the rules, then better that you check the content of your posts too. So if I had broken the rules here, then undoubtedly you too. In this case, it would be nice if you kept the rules of your own forum. And also enforced them not just on those who disagree with you, but also on those who agree. E.g. tell me, isn't total topic hijacking against the rules? This thread was opened to show double standards and 99% of its initial content was about SLOVAK cases. The HU media law was just an example of the double standard. Yet, almost ALL posters (who agree with you) kept talking about the HU media law in it. I didn't see almost any sentence which addressed the Slovak cases. So despite the fact there are two other topics regarding the media law, it was irritating to these posters that I used the media law case in a double standard illustrated by Slovakia, it annoyed them that I was right that there is a double standard applied (and it wasn't just my thought: see the guardian.co.uk article), so they just decided to BE 99% OFF-TOPIC. No words about Slovakia, yet the topic title, and the initial content was purely about that, using the media law only as a comparison. This is obvious hijacking of a topic. Isn't that against the rules?! I just checked the AoDA rules topic, and to me seems it's against the rules. Nonetheless, I know you don't like rules discussion publicly, I just wrote this paragraph because you also mentioned them to me publicly and I felt it important to draw your attention not to apply double standards in this case. I'll make another attempt to write in your AoDA forum according to how I think you imagine the application of your rules (hopefully this will meet your expectations), but I expect that the rules will be applied equally to others as well (e.g. about not hijacking my topic about Slovakia). I think this will be a good compromise.

I hold no personal grudge against you, by the way, but when it's talk about my country and I see that some cheap & insulting elements are used for an attempt to misrepresent my points or simply oppress them in the discussion, I need to be impulsive because noone would swallow such insults. And I still respect you as before, but inside this topic, I didn't intend to swallow the insults (which also came from you, even if you didn't intend so) regarding my country, so in such cases, expect me to be impulsive. Having said that, I think there is no need to hold a grudge.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh, Baronius, you're such a riot.

The only thing you've proven is that you are unable to even acknowledge, let alone accept any views or facts that clash with your glorified view of Orban.

If I really tried to gag you, you wouldn't be posting here any more. But if your view of "gagging" means that you don't have a free pass to fling insults and personal attacks around any more, then sure, I'm gagging you.

As for how you're being "oppressed" because I told you that if you're going to post German quotes that you should also post a Google translation along with them - well, that's just comical. And equal parts sad.

It's quite obvious that you have severe authority issues (an inherent modder trait it seems) since you seem to believe that you have some divine right to decide what's right or wrong, or that you're in any way qualified to interpret our rules, after breaking about half of them in the last few days. For instance, you're breaking rules #20 and #21 just now trying to argue with me here and playing a moderator.

Everything else that you're going on about ad nauseam has been asked and answered several times before, so I'm not going to waste my time answering it for you again.

I don't really care how you justify your personal attacks or how "oppressed" you feel and what inane "insults to your country" you cook up in your head to justify lashing back at those who criticise Orban. I told you in simple enough terms what we won't tolerate from you any more. Now it's up to you to comply - or not. Either way, I don't hold any grudges against you. You wouldn't be the first person unable to normally debate in the Alleys and definitely not the last. Oh and it's time you read our main rules as well.

4. Baronius

[​IMG] I did read the SP rules in past and in present too. I already told my points: I'll try to guess how you interpret your own rules (won't be easy) and comply with that in my posts, but I expect that you also equally treat others' posts as well. Thanks in advance.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    Your arrogance is quite astounding (a bit less so now that you've edited your post). So which part of the rules #20 and #21 that you've just broken again didn't you understand as you claim to have read them?

You don't need to "guess" anything, just don't play stupid and you'll get it like everyone else on the boards. Despite your conviction that we've singled you out for cruel and unusual punishment, that's all in your mind only.

6. Baronius

[​IMG] I think the intention to find a compromise (which makes you feel everyone keeps your rules) is not arrogance.

Your problem now is that you want to have the last glorious word in this thread (regarding your attack on me that I broke your rules) and you can't tolerate that I reply to you. You can be satisfied, this is my last post regarding your accusation on me of breaking rules. (I intend it to be the last, of course you can enforce it to be the last or even delete it, but before you would do that, I think it's wise to discuss it in a PM; considering some facts that can't be listed here).

Just one note: if you have had problems with my posts earlier (you say I "broke" your rules), you could have informed me in a PM, telling exactly WHICH part of the post is against the rules (that is the common practice in most forums). Instead, you are stating generally that I broke/break rules, and you do it publicly. I think common sense says that if someone talks to you publicly, you answer publicly. That is what I've been doing. And I haven't received any PM from you, "Baronius, this and this part in your post #N is against the rules; please edit it, and avoid it in next posts". All I got is insults to my country and attempts to ridicule my viewpoint, and now these public "warnings".

It's a bit absurd to post accusations on a member (on me) publicly but expect me just to swallow them and not to react to them in the same place where they were posted publicly.

As I said, I'll try to keep your rules in the way you imagine it, and will write my posts according to this. I just suggest let's leave it like this. You can answer to this post, of course, and to make you happy, I'll not answer to your last post. This won't make you feel that your authority is questioned here. It's your forum, you do whatever you wish on it.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Baronius... you think it's my "problem" that I expect to have the final word on my own forums. :facepalm:

You think that you get to negotiate a "compromise" with me how you'll follow the rules. :facepalm:

And now that you've finally read our rules, you think that they are absurd and not common sense, so you've gone ahead and violated the same ones for the 3rd time. :facepalm:

No Baronius, I'm going to leave your post up, because it's just possibly the dumbest stunt anyone's tried pulling here in the last 5+ years so it'd be a shame not to keep it as a reference of what it takes to get your Alleys access revoked.

Modders... :facepalm:

8. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ah. Naturally, the cogency of one's argument is inextricably linked to the accuracy of one's spelling. A known fact. :rolleyes: Tal, I think you're making a mistake in revoking alley access from one possessing such rhetorical genius.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.