1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Taluntain, May 15, 2004.

1. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Yeah, although I haven't read anything yet, I sure like the idea of BG-view. A pity for the lack of D&D-rules, but hey, what are we gonna do about that? Conversion, anyone? Just kidding.

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Totally.

But don't misunderstand me. Buy however much ale and whores that it takes to get the development team to get it out on deadline. If you have to form your own trucking company to haul the kegs of Corona and girls from Mustang Ranch, then get cracking. Time's a wastin'...

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I speculate that this title won't be released until holiday season '05.

Somewhere I read that it was three years between NWN's first demo at E3 and it's release. So a year and a half would be a big improvement for Bioware.

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I have a feeling it will be a more fanbase Modular style of game, like NWN rather than an exceptional single player OC like BG. Just my thoughts.

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

No matter what excellent OC it might have, the potential of fan made mods is far greater. Multiplayer of course, is another step further.

What i'm hoping is a more "usable" surroundings. Not objects that can be assigned as "usable". All objects should be usable, have their hit points, hardness,...
    That way you wont get stuck by a patch of stones on the ground, while there's a direwolf chasing you. Might take a while, but you could remove it or destroy it with a nasty spell, if you have one. Or picking up improvised weapons and smacking drunkards with a stool, instead of drawing a blade they aint worth of.
    This cant be changed easily by modders/builders so i really hope they'll include it in the first place.

6. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I know I am probably going to smack myself in the head when I read the answer...but what does IP mean? The developers use it in the context of "campaign setting". I have been thinking "imaginary place" but that sounds a little non-corporate.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

IP = Intellectual Property (As far as I know, anyhow). Basically - they own it. They made it up themselves.

And The developers are saying that they're more interested in the single player than multiplayer, which IMO, is a great and wonderful thing.

(Edit: Dammit Tal! I just realised I'd spelt that wrong, only to find you'd already editted it :grin: )

[ May 22, 2004, 16:50: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

8. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Of course we should have a Dragon Age forum.

(I still think we need a KOTOR forum too! :tie: )

9. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I just hope that on a scale NWN to BG, it is parking it's butt on top off BG, I want a bloody good OC or I won't buy the game, I want to be able to fill the hole in my soul which was there since I was done with BG2, and where PST, IWD2 and NWN have all failed, I want Dragon Age to succeed.
    I want a game that I play for five more minutes at 10 PM only to notice that it is 3 AM when I look up again, and YES gimme that banter/romance etc.
    I just NEED a good single player campaign without having to bother a gazillion of confusion downloads --> I NEED MORE BG.
    Thank you for your attention

/Goes off to down some Ritalin

10. Man_Solo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What i'm hoping is that the games needlessly good graphics aren't bioware's selling point for a cheap souless cash-in with the "rpg elements" of dark messiah. If this is another super linear adventure rpg with ultra graphics i'll go crazy. If this is just Biowares rendition of oblivion i'll be sick, ISOMETRIC viewpoint is the only way, its not because its retro its just because it works... But i'll wait for this game to come out before i start criticising it

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Amen, so say I.

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think that this one is bioware's last chance for a good pc game. I do not care what they do on the consoles. I can understand that it is good for the money side to develop for the console, but a good (90/100) pc game will sell longer and more. nwn1 still sells, as does BG and Icewind. Well we all know about BG2.

What I dislike most is the date of announcment. Far to early. My guess is mid 2008 before it lies on the shelves. No, Bioware's credit is low with me. After the short Jade Empire, my opinion is that they went console.

13. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    They announced it so early to try and dispell the myth that they went console. That, and to get input from gamers early in the development. From everything I've seen and heard, I think it will be well worth the wait. I wouldn't be supprized to see it out by Christmass '07, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that, either.

14. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If its not d&d 3.5 rules I think it might be good. Will probbly buy it if I like the demo.

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    But a big danger lurks. Electronic Arts is taking over Bioware's mothercorperation so it will be done when the holiday season needs it for sales and not when it is done. And that is killing the pc-games market.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I'm not entirely sure about that. They don't seem to have touched ME's release date, and that's close enough to holidays that they could probably get away with it. All things considered, I'm guessing EA isn't going to mess with BioWare all that much. I'm betting they decided to tro expanding into the RPG realm and, instead of competing with everybody at once, decided to take BioWare as an already-working company and not mess with it.

17. Merlanni

Media:
    And that will pay off on the long run. Dragon age is going to be a Q1 2008 game whitout delays so It will be save. Whit Bioware we know that games are not perfect, but fairly playable whitout pachtes, and get patched soon and long.

Straying furhter off topic: Are Atari and EA not competitors? Do you see someone else than Bioware or Obsidian making D&D games? My fear is not a lack of RPG but more: Bye bye rulsets, hello skilltree.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    DA certainly won't be released in Q1 2008. More likely Q4/08 or Q1 2009 at this point.

Atari is a minuscule operation barely keeping alive in comparison to EA, so not much of a competition. And BioWare is apparently done with D&D games for good; Atari couldn't afford to get them to develop D&D games for them even if they wanted to.

At least for the next 5 years, I suspect Obsidian will remain Atari's D&D workhorse, for better or worse.

19. Merlanni

Media:
  20. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    The Bioware message boards on DA have recently had several hints from Devs and others that the game is much closer to completion than many have guessed. They're already hiring local voice acting talent, and a slip from some higher-ups in the company said that, when trying out an updated version, they had intended to just play a few hours, but ended up playing all weekend. I'm guessing some time 08 is guaranteed, so long as no one messes with it. When 08 is another issue.

I wouldn't worry too much. Bioware has a good bit of experience here and I don't think they'll let it drop. Also, skilltrees as a definition of the ruleset really seems to be an MMO phenomenon, I don't think it would translate well into standard CRPG. Anyway, the few aspects of the combat system that have been revieled so far hint at a system heavily grounded in rules, with skills as special bonuses, not the focus.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.