1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Druid build

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by khaavern, Aug 16, 2005.

1. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, I reached level seven (pure druid so far) at the start of the desert trip in SoU. My character has an AC of 25 with some standard equipment (chainmail +1, large shield +1, the druid cloack with +2 deflection AC which you can buy in the first chapter). Casting barkskin (which at this level gives +4 to AC, and lasts 7 hours) brings the total to 29. If I use expertise, I can get the AC to 34. Which makes quite a decent tank. I do not think I will have big problems at least till I get to the underground city.

On the other hand, the attack power is really lacking. Mostly due to a lack of decent weapons (for druid-types) so early in the game. I had to use for most of Chap. 1 a dagger +1 :( However, the animal companion can help some; I use the panther, and if she gets the sneak attack in, the damage is around 20+ . The only thing is I have to make sure I am in front, so the enemies attack me and not her :) - although if I have Deekin cast mage armor on her, and I cast barskin, she gets a pretty decent AC too.

I never was to satisfied with the animal shapes you get as druid. They have better stats, but you lose the bonuses from the equipment you wear, and I think you cannot cast spells while shifted. So, it seems to me just not worth it.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, but if use the panther, then you lose some XP. It's such a ripoff.

Wow, 34 AC. My druid never managed to get past about 24. No wonder he got beaten up so much.

3. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Actually you do not lose so much XP. I paid attention to this, and it looks like with panther and companion, you get about 20% less than with only a companion. However, this tends to even out in the end, since you get extra points if your level-up is delayed. So, for example, as lev 6 I would get about 100 XP for a drider, and as lev 7 I would get only about 50 XP. Quite a big difference. This means that if I'd have been behind at some point, I would be catching up rapidly.

All in all, I think even if you use a companion, you will fall behind mostly by 5 to 10% out of total XP.

I also generally summon the panther only when in a tough spot; like for example the fight with the manticore. I figured out part of the problem with that monster; its spine attack is a ranged touch attack, and this bypasses the armor and shield AC bonuses. The expertise bonus still seems to apply, though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.