1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

EEEEEEvil

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by ejsmith, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Spelladona, a CE character starts with a rep. of 8. You can earn reputation by:
    • doing quests
    • donating money

It just isn't as easy as if you start with 12 rep ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I understand that too. I guess my point is whoever heard of a CE hero? Sure it can be done, but then the likelihood that character was being truly roleplayed is slim.

Now I'm getting myself confused. Must find something else to ponder, I suppose. :lol:

3. Sirdan Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] That was exactly what I said ;). What my friend has done wasn't roleplaying. That was my point. He liked the idea of playing it evil but didn't like the disadvantages of his actions (prices in stores etc.) That's why he played the goodie-goodie. It's like the people who choose to play a LG character not to roleplay him, but for the starting rep.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I think what I miss so far is all the character interaction.

I need about 16 characters in my party, and all the timers set at 10 minutes. And you just *know* all those timers would sync up at some point, and it would take you 5 minutes just to listen to everyone insult each other all at one time.

Other than that, my evil motivation is slipping a little. I'm in Brynlaw, and it's just not the same. I'm trying to strictly focus on money, but it's just not working out like I was expecting. It's like Viconia's romance; you can't be weak, but you have to be nice to her without showing weakness, so you have to psychoanalyze every single word.

I'm breaking a sweat here!

5. beetle2 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG]
    [ August 13, 2002, 08:30: Message edited by: beetle2 ]

6. Judas Gems: 7/31

I don't think a high reputation is necessarily out of character for someone of evil alignment. Let's take Neutral Evil. I look at Neutral Evil as the most selfish alignment - people of this alignment are primarily concerned with getting ahead. It doesn't matter how - it can be by slaying everyone they can and making off with their loot, or through a massive house-breaking spree. However, it can also be through donating money to the church to improve the way they are viewed in order to save money on future purchases. The difference is the motivation. Good people donate because they can't stand people begging in the streets. Evil people donate because it benefits them.

Here's an analogy. Four or five times a year I buy a book of raffle tickets from a charity I support. The people I purchase tickets from do not know whether I do so because I think the charity does valuable work, or because I want to win that first-prize BMW. It doesn't matter which is the case, my reputation is influenced favourably because of my support.

I can almost picture Edwin saying something along the lines of "Caedes, let's spend 5000 gold here at the temple, and trick the fools at Adventure Mart into thinking we are righteous do-gooders. We will probably end up with a discount! With the volume of gear we are purchasing, even a small discount will save us more than our principal 5000 gold! Besides that, the guards won't hassle us as much when we next rob Lord Spiffington's mansion!" Well... maybe not that bit about robbing the mansion, as Edwin IS lawful, and wouldn't want to break the law. Come to think of it, why in the world is he working for the largest criminal organisation in Athkatla? Isn't that against his alignment?

Of course, if you're playing a chaotic evil character, you have to remember to eat children and kick old people. It's your job.

7. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Lawful doesn't imply any specific law. A criminal organization is an organization nonetheless. And yes, I do very much agree. Being evil is about the motivation more than the action. As long as the motivation isn't "this way I get more exp!" or "well, I know from past games that doing this 'good' quest will get me x treasure and doing the 'evil' one will only get me y".

8. Walker Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Firstly, I would suggest taking on Anomen at the beginning, and whenhis father demands vengence, you could encourage Anomen to do that. Then he won't become a knight.

Secondly, Chaotic and Lawful are ways of thinking. Such as a lawful character would follow a line to get to a place, while a chaotic will leave the line if it works for that person's goals. I know that this isn't very clear (may not even be correct), but it is my understanding of that issue. I usually play Chaotic Good characters, as I figure that it most resembles the way I am.

9. aerilon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

For an evil party, quite honestly, I would take my main character as a fighter/thief or Assassin, depends on whether you want to be able to backstab for awesome damage, or be a little better in actual combat.

I would take Korgan as the main fighter... I love berserkers, it's my favorite fighter kit. I tried it recently with a custom made sorcerer to take care of my spellcasting needs, and the Berserker can be a real monster. The only thing I see wrong with Korgan really is his specialization in Axes instead of War Hammers. There are plenty of good axes out there, sure, it's just that, if you're going to make a dwarf fighter, I think it's better to have him using War Hammers because the only throwing hammers are dwarf-only.

I would take Viccy of course, to handle my clerical needs, and since she's the only evil romance, if I were going to pursue one it would be with her.

And Edwin for spellcasting. Actually, I'd take him in a good party, too, if it weren't for the alignment conflict. However, because of the conflict, I normally take Jan as my thief in non-evil parties.

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Chaotic Evil characters are basically psychopaths. If you can roleplay that, you should be fine.

Lawful Evil characters will never break their word, and are generally the type of characters that would be making plots and schemes.

Neutral Evil characters are only concerned with themselves. They will do whatever is needed to benefit them. They are the mercenary type.

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

i always play with an evil party like this - i have made an aligment check and i tested... i am lawful evil - i have 10 in rep almost always - playing evil of course - have all the dragons under my feets - screenshots on that

Cogirius - Fighter/Halfling - sometimes wizard-slayer

Viconia - Cleric/Drow - Romance and great member, favorite NPC

Edwin - Conjurer/Human - a mediocre mage but still usable

Tiax - Cleric/Thief/Gnome - Made him with all his special abilites with SK

Sometimes i have these

Jan - Illusionist/thief/Gnome - If i donĀ“t have Tiax

Krogan - Berserker/Dwarf - Great fighter, plain and simple

[ August 17, 2002, 19:11: Message edited by: Cog Primius ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.