1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

English are Evil!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Dargorn, May 6, 2002.

1. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Maybe it's not English-bashing. Maybe it's Europe-bashing.

Not that I'm defending America or anything, nor, in fact, am I American...but here's the thing: Europe, contrary to conventional wisdom, is historically responsible for most of the ills of the world.

Think about it. Vietnam, Palestine, Timor, Algeria, India/Palestine, all of South America, Zimbabwe...find a hot spot, and I'll guarantee you it's a former European colony.

Nazism, fascism, totalitarianism, aristocracy, oligarchy, theocracy...all either invented or perfected by Europeans.

Europeans are even responsible for...America!

(I'm Australian, incidentally.)

(I can feel the flames already...)

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Apart from the fact that England is not a Europian country

I agree with you

so why not change the subject to 'The Europians are Evil' I know I shouldn't have suggested it but people blame the English for things we never did

I met some American boy who refused to speak to me because he thought the English started both of the World Wars, and one wouldn't speak to me because of my surname

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG]
    Umm.. what? England is in Europe last time I check. Just because we don't use the Euro, it doesn't mean that we aren't European. Geez...

4. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Someone's behind on their polisci...thanks for clearing that up for him, Wildfire.

And though you don't share the currency (All good things to those who wait...), you are one of the Big Three in the European Union...you also happen to share a tectonic plate with the continent.

As for the reasons that particular yank wouldn't talk to you, I wouldn't sweat it...such people aren't worth knowing anyway.

5. DinoTiggy1 Guest

8people,

A word or warning.

OUR GEOGRAPHY EXAM IS IN TWO WEEKS,

Just thought you'd like to know that, since last time I checked England was in Europe.:book:

6. Luan Guest

[​IMG] Only the red 99% of Surrey are in Europe.

[This message has been edited by Luan (edited May 18, 2002).]

7. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, if you look at the history of my nation, then the british are some very bad guys! 200 years ago, they started the decline of the power of the danish nation at the battle of Copenhagen.... 70 years later, Denmark had lost control of Norway, and more important, Slesvig and Holstein, the two later containing one third of the danish landarea and two fifth of the population.... BAD ENGLISH!!!! :)

To be more serious, then yes, europe has been the major badass of all history, controlling and oppressing almost the entire globe. But that's soon going to be a whole century ago....

8. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well.... no, not really. The West has only been in "control" for the last 300 years or so. Sure we had outposts and colonies and so, but we really didn't control it until. And as to oppressing people, no one group can claim superiority in that. As to the English being the downfall of Denmark, I can only say, you shouldn't have joined the league of armed neutrality, though, if you hadn't it probably would have been Napoleon who came in and whipped your asses. :grin:

9. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I can't tell if the bad guys in movies are english or american, because i watch the movies in a translated version (so the bad guys are all german). ;)
    I like the english language more, than the american language. American language sounds as if some peanut butter sticks in their throat. :D
    Maybe the bad guys in movies speak english because otherwise noone outside America would understand them? ;)
    Maybe the Americans can't stand if an American would be the bad guy, kind of "no American is bad"?
    Who knows?

10. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Maybe the problem is that you are looking at this the wrong way. American actors cost a lot of money so after spending a large sum of money to get a well known actor for the main role(to get people to see the movie. the hire the cheepest evil actor they find which just happens to by british. The fact is that most likely hollywood over the years has associated a british accent with a great evil character. Come on who else could pull of world domination, not somebody from the artic :)

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

with respect to the movie topic, sean connery in "the avenger". sean is a good actor, but the movie sucks.

other topics:

i don't think british actors are cheap.
    i'm no briton nor am i american, but i love listening to a brit (accent-wise). especially sean connery and edward woodward.

british or europeans are evil.... nah. not the ones here in sp. :D

12. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] It's probably because you guys just suck so much.

13. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I've long suspected my mother is actually drow, and she *is* British (well, Polish/Welsh, but she's a British subject). My father is also British (well, mainly Scottish) but I don't suspect him of being evil. He's more dwarf than drow.

Didn't the original Darth Vader have a British accent? Or maybe it's just impossible to pronounce an American "r" through a gas mask. "Teah this ship apaht until you've found those plans!" And yet, the young Anakin, who is not yet evil, seemed to be American in voice. Hmm... Sir Dargorn, you've uncovered something here! Is there a vocal spectrum of Good And Evil, with Americans and cocky Cockneys at one end (I've never seen a villain with a Cockney accent, have you?) and plummy upper-crust British accents at the other. If you get REALLY bad, you start to talk like Princess Diana ("Chuls! Chuls!") and spit plums after every third word. I'll be listening to Anakin's blossoming evil accent with great interest.

Here's another question: has anyone ever heard a villain with a Southern drawl? I can't think of one. I know every time I hear someone speaking with a Southern accent I want to invite them home for supper, it's such a friendly-sounding voice. I was grinning like a fool the whole time I was in Louisiana because everyone seemed so nice- even the thug trying to rip us off in downtown New Orleans.

Edit: re Europeans being the "major badass of all history": true, Europe has not really dominated world history for very long (I'd say 500 years rather than 300 since that's when it began colonising outside of Europe in earnest). But, from a modern history perspective, Europe is responsible for the shape of the world today, for better or worse. The modern history of Vietnam, North Africa, the Cote D'Ivoire and Africa's eastern islands can all be tied back to French intervention. Mexico, and all of Central/South America were made what they are today by Spain and Portugal (oops, France too in Mexico now that I think of it!), Holland had an enormous impact for good and ill on South Africa, and England moulded modern India, Singapore, Zimbabwe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada... oh, pretty much everyone else really! Not bad for a tiny evil island. :)

Another edit: 8people, I'm sorry this thread is hurting your feelings. I don't think anyone here genuinely dislikes the British, I for one am just laughing at the film industry's tendency to cast the British in evil roles, and I think that's what everyone else is finding funny too.

[This message has been edited by Sprite (edited May 22, 2002).]

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This might come as a shock to you, but James Earl Jones is the Voice of Darth Vader. :D

How you could miss that is beyond me. I recognized the voice immediately.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 22, 2002).]

15. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

is james earl jones british? I know the guy we see in the end without the helmet is not the same person who played Darth Vader in the suit

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well obviously, he's white, for one thing. :p
    (Or grey, it was hard to tell by that light.) ;)

I always thought Jones was American, but I'm not sure.

17. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Yup, James Earl Jones is American all right (oh and Sprite - he was born in the south! - in Mississippi).

18. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If you would like to see villains with southern accents, see "Deliverance".

19. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Now thats not for the faint of heart; "Squeal like a pig!" :aaa: I always find that Southern villains in films are usually violent, chauvanistic rednecks or *ahem* overly liberal hillbillies (as above) rather than the big master baddie. The only example I can think of for that is Gary Oldman in the Fifth Element, and he was only putting it on. Now he's a cool bad guy actor, and a Briton. I guess its just our fate :evil:

By the way, was it the guy in the Darth Vader suit who was also the Green Cross Code man?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited May 23, 2002).]

20. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

OK, I guess I don't get out enough- I have no idea who James Earl Jones is. :confused:

Does he have a Southern accent? As Darth Vader, at least? 'Cause in my cloudy memories of the Star Wars movies I'm SURE Darth Vader has an English accent. But then, premature senile dementia does run in my family.

Hey, I just remembered a southern-accent villain: Edward Norton's character plays a schizophrenic choirboy with an extremely sexy drawl in a movie called... umm... a movie I can't remember the name of. :heh:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.