1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

European Football - who's best?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Tap Dancing Oyster, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Did you mother never tell you that sarcasm is the lowest form of humour? :lol:

Just to let you know, I didn't mean it like that if that's how it came across...

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Skimming these posts, I now understand why fans brawling in the stands happens so often. :p

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    You should go to a game in England Splunge. Especially lower league... ;)

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was under the impression that ALL of the games in England were essentially lower league.

/me enters the fray :p

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    lol

As apposed to Ice Hockey which is a massive sport, eh? Or is it moose tossing in Canada nowadays? ;)

/me, treating Splunge like one of the lads!

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just to be obstinate and keep the argument going England havent beaten Sweden for a long time, if Caleb's -92 number is correct it is sense then, after that we have played three games iirc of which two were ties (EC qualifier away and World Cup 02) and one win for Sweden (EC qualifier home). Historically the statistics favours Sweden quite heavily actually which was something I was surprised at. My entire argument isnt that Sweden is better than England though, but that they are teams of roughly equal quality, both just below the absolute top. My entire reason for continuing this argument is that it bugs the hell out of me to always hear Englishmen raise their team to the sky and then whine and cry when they dont deliver any results. As we saw in the championship this summer any team can win, but England doesnt belong among the favourites before a tournament for any serious football fan. That is my opinion. :)

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well, that's your opinion and that's fair enough. Everyones entitled to their own.

I, of course, will have a different opinion ;) .

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'm forever blowing bubbles. :D

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    I must be missing something Pac man! :D :lol:

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31

No, i don't think you do, i think you know exactly what i mean. :D I'm just curious if anyone from outside England knows it as well. Consider this a little quiz. :D

11. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I am not suprised at the reaction from the Swedish members of the forum. Perhaps some of it can be attributed to Sven managing England and not Sweden. IMO Svens main loyalty is to his pocket - it is criminal we are paying him £2 million a year. This is about 3, 4 or 5 times as much as most other top managers. Unforunately It is difficult to name another manager that I would prefer above him. In England the fact that Sven is in charge of the English side upsets them as much as it probably upsets Swedes.
    To perhaps put English football in a more favourable light. Over the past 30 years the English leagues have been a mainstay for Scandanavian players. Players like Scmeichal, Molby, Flo, Hedman etc. have all benefited from their time in England. In fact most Scandanavian outfield players are more suited to the English game and would not have been signed by a typical Italian or Spanish club.
    Please refer to my original post - as I stated this thread was about talent in their respective sides - from what I see week in week out there are perhaps 2 nations in Europe that have a superior group of players to England and Sweden isn't one of them.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Checked up on when the last time England beat Sweden, it was in the 60's. :) In 92 Sweden won with 2-1.

13. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Heh, even if that was todays game of football, Italy still would be the strongest team in Europe, not England...
    I reckon you're 5 years late with your profound analysis. ;)

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Italy ? Thanks for the laugh, i needed that after a day of hard work. :D I agree they look very cute in those tight shirts and very flashy with those shaved legs, if i were gay, i'd be stalking them night and day. :D

But when it comes to football.... nah, they're over the hill, maybe even never reached the top. Seriously, when i'm watching Italy play football, i can't stop yawning, nothing ever happens. For the next worldcup, i'm putting my money on England. Either them, or Brazil. I'd like to think of my own side as title candidates, but they're not, and won't be any time soon. Good players and all that, but they suck as a team.

15. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

England, Brazil or Argentina for me,

Argentina is doing great recently

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    It's hard to see past England or Argentina to be honest. Although Brazil are the World Cup guru's (bloody jammy bastards... bloody Ronaldinho... grumble grumble). And on the same token, only a bloody fool counts the Germans out, especially on home soil...

I know it's some way away yet, but I'll be there! Me and a group of mates are going! Although my cousin (and one of my best mates) can't go :( . He has his passport taken off him whenever England play away. How **** is that??

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Not very, since only hooligans get their passports taken away.

I am going to WC2006 as well. My father is a german and he have booked all potential Swedish games plus the final.

He also booked all potential Italian games, one ticket only, just for me. First time I get something I like from him. :D

18. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Not sure if i'd be there, the tickets for one single match almost cost a weeks salary, and frankly, i don't think any footballteam is worth that kind of money. I might go to Germany with a bunch of mates from my old crew and hit the German boozers, nothing beats the enormous pints they serve overthere. :D

19. joacqin

Media:
    Me and my mates have also talked a lot about going down to Germany for the World Cup. Not sure if we are going to get tickets, it may be as Pac Man said a tad too expensive and even though it would be great to watch Sweden play for me a World Cup is more about the football than about supporting a single team.

Caleb, I wasnt aware that you could already reserve tickets? Heck, it isnt even sure that Sweden will get there.

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    Reserved tickets? 2 years in advance? Crikey, that's called being on the ball :lol: .

We will try to get tickets for one or 2 of the group games (any more will break the bank). But just to be there will be incredible. We can watch any other games from one of the pubs. Still a good atmosphere in there!

24/7 piss up surrounded by football. Be-a-yoootiful.

[ October 27, 2004, 22:18: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.