1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Experience

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Menion Leah, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I wouldn't call level squatting a cheat, since you are after all defeating powerful monsters at a lower level than "optimal", which requires considerably more care and strategy.

As for muling, I do consider this to be a cheat pure and simple. I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but I never used it.

3. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@Menion Leah

How did your party end up, XP wise? I finished normal with:

#1 Level 23 ~328,000 XP
    #2 Level 13 ~329,000 XP
    #3 Level 23 ~333,000 XP
    #4 Level 2 ~295,000 XP
    #5 Level 2 ~204,000 XP
    #6 Level 2 ~204,000 XP

I am now taking this party into HoF. I will take the level-ups for the fourth character and keep squatting the fifth and sixth characters.

4. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

I just finished the game and I have *only* 265,000xp on my four characters. I stopped muling and level squatting, so that may be the reason why you're characters have so much more XP, or did you do something special?

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

could someone explain what level squatting is please, im lost. heh

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Level-squatting is when you do not level up your characters as soon as they get enough XP for the next level. By keeping them at a lower level, they gain more XP per kill. The idea is that the character will gain more XP overall and end up on a higher level at some future stage of the game.

7. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@ Menion Leah

That must be the difference. I finished the game with three level two mules which gave me a party average level of 11. That low of an average level meant that I kept earning *lots* of XP throughout the Severed Hand.

@ Enagonios

Harbourboy is absolutely correct. I would just add the following. The game system does not give a fixed amount of experience points per monster, like the BG series does. Rather, the amount of experience each monster is worth is based on comparing the difficulty of the monster to the average level of your party. If your party is of higher level than the monster's difficulty you get less experience; if the monster's difficulty is higher than your party's level, you get more.
    To make things worse, if your party's level gets so much higher than the monster's difficulty, you reach a point where you stop getting any experience at all.

Two main methods have been devised to deal with this problem. The first is called level squatting and is exactly what Harbourboy described. By keeping your party's levels low, you will benefit from fighting monsters which are too "difficult" for your current level. That results in more experience from each kill.

The other method to deal with the problem is called muling. The game system looks at the average level of your party in determining the amount of experience to grant. Therefore, if you have a couple of party members that are very low level, they will bring down the average level of the party. For example, a party of six characters, each at fifth level would have an average party level of five (duh). However, a party of six characters which are at levels 10, 10, 9, 2, 2, 2 also has an average party level of five (35/6, but the game does not round, it drops fractions). The three characters at level two are called "mules." The disadvantage is that there are three second level characters who are more vulnerable than anyone in the first party and who will need to be protected. However, having three characters at twice the level of anyone in the first party means that they can carry the fight and are much more devastating. Even though the parties have the same average level, the party with the mules is much more powerful since a tenth level character is much more than twice as powerful as a fifth level character (power levels do not increase linearly, but geometrically, and in the case of arcane casters, exponentially -- a 20th level sorcerer is an awfully lot more powerful than a 10th level sorcerer, not simply twice as powerful).

By combining squatting with muling one can create a party which is both very powerful and yet still gets good experience points for monster killing.

8. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

You also don't always have to protect your mules. You can usually just leave them behind at the entrance of an area.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.