1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite author/authors

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah I did, it is named Bilbo in Sweden. Different titles in different countries are so annoying.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    OK, Joacqin, I will give you my honest opinion, since you asked it. But you may not like it. Keep in mind that I'm not trying to anger anyone in this process. And that literary opinions are very subjective. No one has the final word on any of this.

For me at least, Martin is a typical genre hack writer; his work is very predictable, with very flat characters that seem to follow the formula pattern set by most hack fiction writers. When seen in this light, they are not very sympathetic. And for me that is the biggest problem, I could care less what happens to any of them in this giant, medieval soap opera, _Song of Fire and Ice_.

As far as reading all of them, I only read the first one and half the second one. I was reading the second, got to the middle, and absently started reading something else and forgot to finish it. So much for Martin. If I run out of good books to read, I may pick it up again.

Now, let me defend Tolkien against the verbal violence you did to him. My defense of him does not rest on the fact that he was an Oxford scholar - Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. Nor is it on the asscertion that he knew more about language than anyone else during his lifetime. But on the contention that he is the most influential writer of the 20th Century. Yes, more influential than Hemingway, or Steinbeck. He is not "better" than any of these writers, but because Tolkien wrote _The Hobbit_ and TLotR, he is largely responsible for most of the fantasy/adventure that has been done in the second half of the last century. And that's a lot considering that sites such as this one may not even exist without what Tolkien accomplished.

For more, I recommend an excellent book on the subject - _JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century_, by Tom Shippey. It is a scholarly work, but still for the general reader, written by the person who followed Tolkien's position at Leeds and then at Oxford.

[ October 24, 2003, 04:41: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To chime in on the Martin debate, I agree a bit with Chandos in that I was not particularly enamored with Martin's characters, as I felt they had little to no depth. The plot was, I suppose, fine, but I did not find myself liking any of the characters.

Compare that to one of his earlier books, The Armageddon Rag, which was great (not fantasy and more horror-esque that sci-fi, but so what?), and which I found incredibly compelling.

To throw the argument into another direction (although one fairly well-traveled on these boards), I had a completely different problem with Jorden and, to a lesser degree, Terry Goodkind, in that I liked his characters quite a bit, thought his plot was fine, but could not bear to read 20 page descriptions of the clothing someone happened to be wearing.

This is one of the reasons I really liked Roger Zelazny. He wrote about interesting characters doing neat things without an extra 400 pages thrown into each book. (This expressly excludes the second Chronicles of Amber, which I found labored and felt were churned out without enough thought.)

Oh well, my two cents.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But Chandos you see, you in your post is saying the exact same thing I did. What you lifted up about Tolkien is the same things I have given him credit for all along. What I said is that just because he did that, it doesnt mean that his work really is that immersive. If you wanted to defend Tolkien you should have defended what was under attack not what I gave him credit for.

It is funny that you can see the same thing in very different light. One of the reason that I love Martin is that his story and his characters break away from any formula and keeps on suprisising you. aSoIaA may well be a giant soapopera, but that is one of the main charms with fantastic fiction and a building block from the start. Look at the Arthur saga, could anyone say that that wasnt a soapopera?

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I hear assertions of flat characters in Martin's work, but no defense of the assertions.

Since that is not something I would have said, could you describe what you mean? Give some examples of characters you find flat, and why they seem flat to you.

7. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Robert Ludlum! Never read any better thriller. May he rest in peace.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Tolkien, Bernard Cornwell, Tom Clancy and Rowling ( Harry Potters rock! :D )

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Lynx Lupo, I agtree. Ludlum's thrillers are way above any other. Comparing, say, Clancy to them is blasphemy.

Speaking of balsphemy, the movie "Bourne Identity" made me cry. So... blasbhemous.

On a note for Tolkien: Sure, it can be said that his writing is not as good as most say (is that an oxymoron?) but the point is, this thread is about "favourites", not "the best"... Me, I am an obsessed Tolkien snot (first three parts of the EƤrendil poem committed to memory and more to follow :p ) and thus I find myself often going "sheesh, get original, will you?" when i read fantasy literature... the fact is, Tolkien did it first. I used to argue with an old teacher of mine about Tolkien being the basis of all fantasy lit, and now... now I am on his side. I used to deny it vehemently, but now I find myself at hios standpoint.

I also admit that seeing as Tolkien's works are so very comprehensivve, writing "original" fantasy is extremely hard.

10. joacqin

Media:
    The root of all fantasy goes much farther back than Tolkien, he is the root of all modern fantasy though. But he himself found inspiration in a number of religous texts and stories, from the bible to the Bhamaputra (sp?), most of his inspiration he got greek mythology and the Edda. Then we have the Arthurian legeds who are a great inspiration for almost all fantasy writers. So Tolkien wasnt first.
    What Tolkien was to create a mythology of his own by drawing from all possible sources into something new, that was his work much more than his novels.

[ October 29, 2003, 22:43: Message edited by: joacqin ]

11. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

A lot of Tolkien's world comes from Norse mythology, such as Elves, Dwarves and Middle-earth (Midgard).

12. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Stephen King - especially the Dark Tower
    Elmore Leonard - just found him recently
    RA Salvatore - gotta love Drizzt and co
    Tolkien - only actually read LotR about 3 years ago but DAMN!
    James Ellroy - thanks to the LA Confidential film
    James Patterson - go Alex Cross! Oh, and what's-her-name in the Women's Murder Club books

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Oh, I DO know that Tolkien incorporated mythology. Try reading the Kalevala. the story of Turin Turambar is practically straight out of that one.

heck, even the poetic meter used in The Gall of Gil-Galad comes from Kalevala...

But I am beig way too off-topic here.

14. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Tolkien for ever.
    Followed closely by Steven Pressfield and Valerio Massimo Manfredi.
    Margaret Weis is a good author too. I really liked the Dragonlance Cronicles trilogy (unfortunately the only dragonlance books I read).
    Salvatore's books are nice but still nothing so special like LOTR or Gates of Fire.

15. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Frank Herbert
    William Gibson
    Andrzej Sapkowski
    (and Tolkien)

and for non-SF
    Kurt Vonnegut
    James Joyce
    Dante Alighieri (Divine Comedy earned him the place, but he's a poet)
    Mika Waltari

16. SaChaele Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Couldn't resist making my own short list although it should definitely be much longer:

Guy Gavriel Kay
    Roger Zelazny
    Konrad T. Lewandowski
    R. A. Heinlein (not all his works though for the quality differs greatly)

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, and Julian May. Her metapsychic books just rock.

18. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Lewandovski?
    Am I mistaken or are you fellow middle - europian Slav in these vast english speaking boards?

(Edit): What? Czech! Ahoj.

19. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Denning (for his Cormyr work)
    Salvatore
    Weis & Hickman (for the Chronicles)
    Tolkien

for non-fantasy -- Stephen King is a stand alone, imo. His book "It" riveted me to the floor for just about every page. (And I also glanced in my sinks every time I passed one for quite some time. :shake: )

20. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Weis and Hickman for the death gate series
    Salvatore especially for Entreri and Jarlaxle
    Martin for writing the best series ever with too many characters to write.

And michael chrighton for jurassic park.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.