1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

favorite books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by The Fat Egg, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Reya Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have the entire Discworld Series (Terry Pratchett) and I like the Red Dwarf books (simply love the TV series) and as Bladerunner is my favourite film, the director's cut is superior in my opinion, I'd agree that Do Androids...is a great piece of literature and they don't make them like they used to :)

2. herf Guest

you have he ENTIRE DISCWORLD SERIES? wow, what is the new book (i think its called fith elpehant) like? who is it about? i don like th books with rincewind in them, although i do like the transdimensional chest ;). i think that he should do another book about Commander vimes and the city watch as they are exremely brilliant.

3. Reya Gems: 2/31

The Fifth Elephant is a C.Vimes book, it is centred around Uberwald (where the werewolves live) and has a very good who-dunnit plot.
    There will be another out soon called The Truth in which journalism comes to Ankh-Morpork, unusually it is another guards story straight after TFE.
    The guy who runs my local book store sat next to Mr. P himself at a lunch once!
    I'm writing a book myself of similar humour but more futuristic, wish me luck ;)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmm, quite a lot of Pratchett fans here. A lot of Brits here I suppose. ;)

Yea, I'm a fan too. Got all of the Discworld books, plus the two sci-fi ones he wrote before and some others.
    To be honest, at the rate he's publishing crap these days the older ones are a joy to read. He should start with sci-fi again. Strata wasn't bad at all.

Seems like I only buy the Discworld books these days because I want to have a perfect collection, not because I'd enjoy reading them. First 15 were great, but it gets old after that.

Or is it just me?

5. Crazy J Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is really good, so is Marion Zimmer Bradely's Darkover series.

6. herf Guest

[​IMG] anyone read any David Gemmel, brilliant fantasy writer, on the same level as terry pratchett

7. Reya Gems: 2/31

re:Terry Pratchett

I think 15 good books is more than most writers manage, I think the first ones were better because the potential ideas were there, after the number he's done I'm surprised he manages to think up any new stories at all, the recent ones are still entertaining though.
    Good Omens (with Neil G.) is also another good non Discworld story, and one of my favourites.
    If he stopped now, the many many people who like all his work may be disappointed.

8. Sol'Kanar Guest

All David Eddings books are very good. I've read The Belgariad, the Malloreon, The Elenium, and the other one I can't seem to remember the name. Those are all among my personal favorites. Above all of course, are the J.R.R. Tolkein books. The forgotten realms books by R.A. Salvatore are good too.

9. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

David Eddings is a simplistic writter and his books are quick reads, but still enjoyable. Nothing along the lines of Jordan or Tolkien but worth the read never the less.

Syl...

10. herf Guest

[​IMG] i have just started reading a book called "the eye of the world", i dont know if it is part of a series or not but it is written by robert jordan and is the first book i have read from this writer, does anyone know any other good books from this man?

11. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm not much of a reader, but my favorite book of all time was "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelo. No Drow or talking swords in that book, just prostitutes, redemption, and Shakespeare.

Last summer I read "Wicked: The Life & Times of the Wicked Witch of the West," which was a pretty cool reinterpretation of the Wizard of Oz told from the not-really-evil Witch's point of view. Her sister, Nessarose, was really interesting - born tall and beautiful (to Munchkin parents) but with no arms and deformed feet, righteous and judgmental, only able to walk on her own with the aid of a certain pair of magical ruby slippers - until a house fell on her. D'oh!. Mia Farrow's autobiography, believe it or not, was great, but A.C. Clark's "3001" was a sure cure for insomnia. Getting drowsy just thinking about it.

I just read the LOTR trilogy this summer (had only ever read "The Hobbit" before). And I may be in the minority on this, but I thought those books could have, should have been condensed into one tighter tale. All those songs! (I stopped reading the songs about halfway through "Fellowship"). Endless descriptions of terrain and direction and the color of rocks! Endless tales of long-dead kings with similar-sounding names! Chapter after chapter about walking and sleeping and walking and eating and walking! It was a good trilogy, don't get me wrong, but a little exasperating. But the movies will be forced to cut out a lot of that, so I'm looking forward to them.

[This message has been edited by Neverworlder (edited November 29, 2000).]

12. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Herf, you're reading what is known as the Wheel of Time, a 9 book campaign by one very excellent and detailed man --- Robert Jordan. You're in for the read of your life, well, that's more or less for yourself to judge.

It ranks very high, in the top two of all Fantasy authors I have read in my time.

Syl...

13. Crazy J Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Has anyone read the Justicar books, 'White Plume Mountain' and 'Decent to the Depth of the Earth', by Paul Kidd? They take place int the Greyhawk setting, and they are very good books. The Justicar is a ranger with a Clint Eastwood like personality, and his supporting cast is hilarous, a pixie and a sentient hell hound pelt named Cinders. He also picks up a few other supporting characters, I won't spoil it, go read 'em!

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Speaking of Jordan...Has anyone heard when the next installment of the series comes out? It's been about 2 years...I think he's due.

15. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Came out in November. Book #9 by Jordan.

Syl...

16. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    D'Oh! Wow! School has been hectic! I can't believe I missed it! What's the books'name?

17. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I found it Syl! Thanks for filling me in!

18. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I know this might seem a bit old (and perhaps juvenile) but has anyone read any Xanth novels by Piers Anthony. Not bad for a light, easy read. They aren't my fav. but I thought I'd mention them.

I really enjoyed the Dragon Lance trilogies, and I just recently ordered the two Dark Elf series (Dritzz) but I'm still waiting for them.

Another good Piers Anthony novel is Battle Circle. A futuristic look at post apocalyptic America in which most of society has reverted back to a barbaric honour code. Characters within the story choose weapons to become proficient with (Sword, club, staff etc.) and pretty much determine their futures with the outcome of battles within the circle. I recommend it.

Hey Sylvus, I've noticed your accolades for the Wheel of Time. I bought the first book about two years ago, but for one reason or another, I didn't get past the first few chapters. Does it pick up the pace abit? I'll have to give it another try.

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wheel of Time, especially the first few are fantastic IMO. The later books are a little slower; I get to the end of this monster book and realize nothing much happened since the last book. There's much more intrigue than action in the later books.

20. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

The first 150 pages of Jordan are done in "Tolkienish" style and I loved the fact it took awhile for them to leave the area in the first book of the WOT series. I love the detail, the feeling of being there, seeing it and then getting the feeling when you leave that you may never return.

I can't imagine how you didn't get past the first few chapters. That's what got me sucked into the books in the first place.

Syl...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.