1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite weapon style and weapon

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mystra's Chosen, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

@ Morsmordre
    The sword from Hell - Blackrazor.

Forgot about that one. :( I think I would choose it even over the Celestial Fury any day!
    Level drain on the opponent, heals the one who wields it, adds to his strength and hastes him.

That makes my bard very dangerous even for superior meele fighters, who he could only beat by using his magic - Tenser, stoneskin etc.

2. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

@Daephon:
    I thought Oaz meant double in the sense that the whole range is double(like 50%). Instead of just the normal 5% double to 10%.
    @Oaz:
    Pls forgive my sillyness.

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

As for an NPC that dual-wields, I always use Valygar w/Katanas and Minsc w/maces. An NPC that uses longswords could be Yoshimo, IIRC, but I always use his Katana.

4. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd say Most definetly duals :)
    Drizzt's scimitars rock :)
    Maybe not the best, but the feeling is the best :D

BTW, does anyone know how to use Drizzt's paperdoll with the scimitars? :)
    If I do it the Original way, adding a char's paperdoll as Drizzt, and placing the scimitars in the chars hand, the game crashes.. Anyone have a cure for that? :)

5. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I like switching between Carsomyr +5 and the Dayblade for my paladin.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Grandalf, Drizzt doesn't have a .plt file, meaning that he doesn't have a paperdoll. You can't change your avatar to his either.

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Drizzt appears in the game, so there's a file for his avatar, right?

Grandalf... are you talking about Drizzt as a character for BG1? Because there are downloadable character files that you can import and start a new game with. Personally I don't like using FR characters in the game because the storyline has nothing to do with them.

8. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31

Rastor, Mystra..
    The problem is, that I can't add weapons on him, the game shows his paperdoll correctly (as he's seen when you meet him), but when in inventory I place the Scimitars on his hand, and go back to the game, It crashes and gives an error report..

In BG1 you also had to use some form of "Skeleton" weapon etc. to get the "two hits" drizzt gives with he's scimitars (bugged one it was).. So I'm just wondering is there ANY way to do this again in bg2 with the actual weapons, since Drizzt is Drizzt, and he's so wicked looking with the scimitars=)

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Yeah, I remember because BG1 didn't have duelwielding.

I would try the downloadable Drizzt, because they usually work.

PS: Why hasn't anyone made a NPC mod for Drizzt? Solaufein was done, and you get him only moments before you encounter Drizzt. Plus Drizzt is a wildy popular character, everyone knows him. So why no mod?

10. Elendrile Gems: 5/31

To dual-wield with Drizzt's animation you need to use something to edit the items' files and delete their inventory animation. Then delete Twinkle's change item color flag.

As for weapons I like carrying around Blade of Roses, Daystar, Dragonslayer, and Adjatha the Drinker and dual-wield whatever is best for the situation.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Because nobody would want him in their party. Besides, he has a party of his own.

There's a difference between a paperdoll and an avatar. I believe (going entirely from a three-year old memory here) that Drizzt actually has a scimitar equipped in his head and foot slot. That might explain part of the problem. Drizzt has no paper doll.

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Why would they want Solaufein and Viconia but not Drizzt. I'd try him at least once. Besides, a Ranger is a character you can wait for, not like a mage, where you want to get them right away. It'd be fun not having a full party for a bit of the game, then getting Drizzt.

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] :rolleyes:

More Drizzt worshippers. Yes, he's fine and all but why the hell would he join the party of any Bhaalspawn, good-aligned or evil?

The BG story simply has no room for the 'Chaotic Good Drow Ranger' at all except for maybe a cameo appearance which I found rather neat.

IMO: Drizzt in cameo=cool. Drizzt modded into your party or turned into your PC=lame.

There have been no Drizzt mods because of some concepts you fanboys may not have heard before: creativity and originality. :rolleyes:

Back on topic: Yes, Blackrazor is certainly one of the most powerful weapons in SOA even more so when wielded with Single weapon style.

14. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31

Well, Maybe you don't have to play the story? :)
    More powerful than ever = Celestial Fury +5 :) OR blackrazor :)

For those who don't know, CF +5 is possible with Item Upgrade (thou it costs alot of stuff :) )

OR, you could do a mod that is irrevelant to the main story concerning BG2, adding Drizzt as NPC :) or Wulfgar :D
    sry, :yot: but still... Coo! :roll:

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I have to say that when push comes to shove, a Warrior wielding a 2 handed weapon is a fearsome thing indeed. A heavy spear, Halberd or two-handed sword can do some pretty horrific things to your enemies.

However, the benefits that can be gained from dual wielding are also nice. It also looks cool. I've never been a fan of single weapon style unless I'm a monk, which is the only option the poor monk has! Weapon and shield style is, for me, the choice of a cautious fighter who enjoys staying alive -- for a cleric, given his lower HP, this style is a must (at least early in the game.)

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Does single-weapon style apply to a Monk using his fists? :confused:

It really shouldn't, but since the game does consider fists to be a weapon in the weapon slot...

17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't know about that -- good question DR! But I know it is the only style in which he can invest points or even use! -- he can't dual wield, use a shield or even use a two handed weapon (which is really dumb -- I think he should be able to use a quarterstaff or spear.)

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I am currently playing a Monk, with 1 point in single weapon style, scimitars and darts. I checked the bottom of the record screen comparing critical hit and armour class bonuses with fists, scimitars and darts, and the bonuses apply only to scimitars.

19. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31

I just memorized a one thing that's been on my mind for some time, but haven't yet verified it.

Is it in D&D rules (or AD&D) possible that when you add enough points on the two weapon wielding slot, you should get some form of bonus in AC dualwielding, since swords atleast also could be used for defensive work. I think if it ain't on the rules, It should be added, since i'd make a little sense. And Im not talking about any HUGE bonuses, just something like +2 or the best of +3 (that would require a Rank of Grandmaster on your weapon, fully pointed doublewielding and not so heavy armor, for ranger in example)

So does anyone know is this in the rules, or is it just a stupid idea? :)
    It would boost even more Dual Wielding, and it would be great (atleast on my opinion:)

20. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@ GRandalf

THere is currently no AC bonus gained from putting proficiencies in dual wielding. The only bonus there is is that it reduces the panalties on both off and main hand thaco for weilding to weapons at the same time. However i think that the AC bonus would be a good idea and if BIS put out an another official mod for this great game then they should incluide this in their improvements along with a few other problems to.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.