1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite food and traditional dishes

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Jarel, May 17, 2003.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Man, I'm glad those Australians hate pork... more for me! :)

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Mmmmm...Bacon!

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Isn't the thing about pork, that it's very complicated to keep either the pigs or the meat healthy in regions with very hot climate ? I have a nebulous memory, that's that the reason, why southern cultures (Hebrew, Arabs) have outlawed them.

Which of course hasn't any impact on the meat that's served on the tables of the north ! :D :D

Note to myself: Flesh and meat have a different meaning in English and aren't synonyms.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I could pretty much eat pizza day in and day out for years. I pretty much did all throughout high school and most of college. My high school had Domino's Pizza delivered every day, and I ate it every day and never got sick of it. It's a miracle I don't weigh 600 pounds. In fact, I was always quite thin until I graduated college - and then...wha-booom. :eek: Go figure.

Traditional food? It's not really related to my heritage, but my family and I have Cheese Fondu every Christmas. It's become our tradition...does that count?

I'm of Scottish descent, but haven't tried many native dishes. No haggas for me, thank you.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Baalzebud, no offence here but you really should start living in the present. Laws against murder, theft and such are social laws, shared by all cultures. You cannot have a society without laws against those things. Religions just adopted them. Circumsition for example have no medical effect at all, none, nada zip. If any it is worse. Basically the only thing it is is torturing the poor little babies.

As for pork, again there is no foundation at all for their 'filthyness'. They are actually kinda cleanly animals, the mud they may like to have on themselves protect them from parasites. I have eaten dog, tasted like chicken, and dog is eaten in large parts of Asia.

As to the salmonella I would like to say it is plain stupid that it is not more common in bird than it is in other meats. Read up please.

Wow, this turned into an alley post! Silly!

*goes off to munch on his ham sandwich*

6. Iago Gems: 24/31

http://bvs.insp.mx/componen/svirtual/ppriori/05/07/arti.htm
    http://www.aboutfood.co.uk/spotlight/halal.html
    http://www.aboutfood.co.uk/spotlight/halal.html

Cow, Pork, whatever.

7. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

@ Joacqin
    Back in the days where plague and pestilence were common on every thursday, it was very likely that people living in a desert or associated climate could very easily succumb to disease, as there was nothing to clean or wash with. Circumcision was performed to prevent infection. This was 2000 years ago...
    Social laws were developed from the ideas of religion. Religion is the basis of nearly every single social law. Religions EVERYWHERE follow the same basic outlines. No murder, rape, incest, etc.etc. as laws were adapted around them.
    Back 2000 years ago, things such as cysticercosis were common due to the poor sanitation due to reasons mentioned above. You say you ate dog, but you also said that they eat their own excrement. That is enough for me to avoid touching it, generally speaking, anything that can or will do that is disgusting. Putting that flesh in my mouth would induce gagging equivilant to a supermodel post dinner. Pig, dog, feces, food. Not a nice mix.

You told me to read, but did you check out anything about health issues concerning pigs?

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I checked Yago's and I was not overly convinced. Not that I doubt that those diseases it is just that I really do not think they are any more common or dangeorous than anything an oxen or a deer might get, and pass on. Concerning the religion I would say it is the other way around, a society needs basic laws to function, these evolve at the forming of the society as a prereqcuisite for any human interaction. Then people start to believe in everything from trees to all powerful all gods and they too say you shall not be a bastard! This is a bit of a hen or the egg debate though.
    I will leave the pork fights now, they have been rather funny though ;) . The less people eating pork the more sizzling fragrant yummie spareribs for the rest of us! :D

9. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Blackthorne and Joacqin

I laughed at your posts. You can have the pork etc, I ain't having it. Nor any of the other things I dislike, like Brussel Sprouts...

I kept saying to myself, "yuk", "yuk".

Oh well... :p

As the French would say "Bon Apetit!"

*goes off to munch his Falafel sandwich*

PS I am not a vegetarian.

10. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Ahem.
    While I think the idea of arguing about whether pork is healthy or unhealthy, sanctified or unsanctified, is kinda stupid... people eat it and you're not going to be able to change that by waving internet links around... I will admit that there are some pork products that I cannot eat. And it has nothing to do with my fear that it's somehow unhealthier than any other meat. Straight out ham just makes me feel ill.
    But saying that pork is unfit to eat because pigs are more unclean than any other animal used for food.... disease is disease is disease. Salmonella can kill you just as well as anything else. If you're cooking your food properly then you're not going to have to worry about any of it. The only reason you should feel the need to warn others about the gripping dangers of pork is if you have serious reason to think that they didn't exactly go to culinary school.

11. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Baezlebub: I'm sorry to go off topic, but when I read such argumentations from people like you, concerning religious traditions and their supposed logic when applied in modern days, I want to laugh hard!
    You say you are disguted by animals that eat excrements: well, maybe you should think more about the fact that almost ALL the vegetables that you eat are grown with excrements, and that the recycle of faeces is something absolutely normal in nature.
    If you tell me that you follow religious traditions for their historical and symbolic meanings I can and understand that, but don’t try to sell me your b#ll****s about pork meat being unhealty and circumcision being a way to prevent infections!! This is pure non-sense!! Worst, it's a crime against science and human intelligence.

12. Iago Gems: 24/31

@ joacqin

I just realized, that I nearly only had quotes in my post. I assumed, that my point was clear. Cow, Chicken, Pork, Sheep, whatever, I eat it, I like it. :D ;)

@ whoever

Those quotes were about the "misconception" of a "filthy" animal and that deseases come and go. That's the way of the world, they come and they go. Like the flu. Human is not an "filthy" being, because he can get the flu, HIV, Cholera or whatever. The same is for animals. All animals are equal. The rest is personal taste.

Anyway. The Indians where faced with the same problem. A useful animal was some time ago infected with desease, the cow. Because the cow gave milk, which didn't transmit it, it wouldn't have been very reasonable, to outlaw cows because their "filthy". Making them "holy" had the advantage, that milk could further be consumed, while the desease was under control, because no one ate the cows anymore.

So, I eat pork. And I see no specific reason, why it should be "filthy". Well, not more filthy than a cow. Guess what a cow eats, when she standing too long on the same yawn.

Edit: Shouldn't the "Pork" issue be moved to the Alley ? Obviously, Animals are a hot potatoe issue. And don't pin on the details of that desease. I haven't a clue, that's all I can vaguely remember.

13. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Aragorn II. Go get a life. I'm not Jewish. Get over it. I'm just more tolerant than you are.

[ June 13, 2003, 11:32: Message edited by: Baezlebub ]

14. Jarel Gems: 10/31

Baezlebub, I have a life and I think I am tolerant enough for your “standards”.
    I just like to discuss with people that seems to have a logic completely different from mine. And anyway, I really don’t care if you are a Jew are not, I care only for what you write or say.

15. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] mmmmmm... German deserts....

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    @ Aragorn II: I am the Typo Queen... It's Brown troutm, not Brow trout and I DO know the spelling of the word "Carbonara"... And thanks fotr the info, I think I'll go kick my cookbook.

17. Jarel Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] Arabwel-my-love!!! Excuse me if I somehow offended you, you know that you represent for me everything’s perfect on earth!
    hugs* kiss* hugs*kiss* etc. .....(I’m kissing your hand of course! :D :D :D )

18. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@Valkyrie: There are no deserts in Germany. :D

19. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

There are loads of deserts in Germany! Rotegrutze, german chocolate cake, german golden pound cake, apfel strudel, and others. they're all so good... :love:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.