1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

From D.C. with Love ... a big "F*** you" to the U.N.

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    If you say so... I obviously had to make a very wide generalization there to get the point across, and it's mostly valid, so picking at the details doesn't really change anything. You also keep making assumptions about what I think about certain things I never mentioned in my posts, but I'm not going to start refuting each of them, it'd take me way too long, not to mention be irrelevant to the point I was making.

Uh-huh. Historical facts, however, override your personal opinion on this one.

Chronology

September 1980. Iraq invades Iran. The beginning of the Iraq-Iran war.

February 1982. Despite objections from congress, President Reagan removes Iraq from its list of known terrorist countries.

December 1982. Hughes Aircraft ships 60 Defender helicopters to Iraq.

1982-1988. Defense Intelligence Agency provides detailed information for Iraq on Iranian deployments, tactical planning for battles, plans for air strikes and bomb damage assessments.

November 1983. A National Security Directive states that the U.S. would do "whatever was necessary and legal" to prevent Iraq from losing its war with Iran.

November 1983. Banca Nazionale del Lavoro of Italy and its Branch in Atlanta begin to funnel $5 billion in unreported loans to Iraq. Iraq, with the blessing and official approval of the US government, purchased computer controlled machine tools, computers, scientific instruments, special alloy steel and aluminum, chemicals, and other industrial goods for Iraq's missile, chemical, biological and nuclear weapons programs.

October 1983. The Reagan Administration begins secretly allowing Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Egypt to transfer United States weapons, including Howitzers, Huey helicopters, and bombs to Iraq. These shipments violated the Arms Export Control Act.

November 1983. George Schultz, the Secretary of State, is given intelligence reports showing that Iraqi troops are daily using chemical weapons against the Iranians.

December 20, 1983. Donald Rumsfeld , then a civilian and now Defense Secretary, meets with Saddam Hussein to assure him of US friendship and materials support.

January 14, 1984. State Department memo acknowledges United States shipment of "dual-use" export hardware and technology. Dual use items are civilian items such as heavy trucks, armored ambulances and communications gear as well as industrial technology that can have a military application.

March 1986. The United States with Great Britain block all Security Council resolutions condemning Iraq's use of chemical weapons, and on March 21 the US becomes the only country refusing to sign a Security Council statement recognizing Iraq's use of these weapons.

May 1986. The US Department of Commerce licenses 70 biological exports to Iraq between May of 1985 and 1989, including at least 21 batches of lethal strains of anthrax.

May 1986. US Department of Commerce approves shipment of weapons grade botulin poison to Iraq.

March 1987. President Reagan bows to the findings of the Tower Commission admitting the sale of arms to Iran in exchange for hostages. Oliver North uses the profits from the sale to fund an illegal war in Nicaragua.

May 17, 1987. Iraqi attack on USS Stark costs 37 American lives. Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger declares, "We will not be driven from the gulf," and accepts Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's apology for the "unintentional incident."

Late 1987. The Iraqi Air Force begins using chemical agents against Kurdish resistance forces in northern Iraq.

February 1988. Saddam Hussein begins the "Anfal" campaign against the Kurds of northern Iraq. The Iraq regime used chemical weapons against the Kurds killing over 100,000 civilians and destroying over 1,200 Kurdish villages.

April 1988. US Department of Commerce approves shipment of chemicals used in manufacture of mustard gas.

August 1988. Four major battles were fought from April to August 1988, in which the Iraqis massively and effectively used chemical weapons to defeat the Iranians. Nerve gas and blister agents such as mustard gas are used. By this time the US Defense Intelligence Agency is heavily involved with Saddam Hussein in battle plan assistance, intelligence gathering and post battle debriefing. In the last major battle with of the war, 65,000 Iranians are killed, many with poison gas. (For confirmation of DIA involvement, check the New York Times, August 18, 2002). Use of chemical weapons in war is in violation of the Geneva accords of 1925.

August 1988. Iraq and Iran declare a cease fire.

August 1988. Five days after the cease fire Saddam Hussein sends his planes and Hughes helicopters to northern Iraq to begin massive chemical attacks against the Kurds.

September 1988. US Senate Foreign Relations Committee summarizes their knowledge of the victims of the chemical attacks: "Those who were very close to the bombs died instantly. Those who did not die instantly found it difficult to breathe and began to vomit. The gas stung the eyes, skin, and lungs of the villagers exposed to it. Many suffered temporary blindness. Those who could not run from the growing smell, mostly the very old and the very young, died."

September 8, 1988 U.S. Senate unanimously passes the "Prevention of Genocide Act of 1988" the day after it is introduced. The act would have cut off from Iraq U.S. loans, military and non-military assistance, credits, credit guarantees, items subject to export controls, and U.S. imports of Iraqi oil. Immediately after the bill’s passage the Reagan Administration announces its opposition to the bill, and State Department spokesman Charles Redman calls the bill "premature.” Richard Murphy, Assistant Secretary of State says, "The US-Iraqi relationship is... important to our long-term political and economic objectives." The Administration works with House opponents to a House companion bill, and after numerous legislation compromises and end-of-session haggling, the Senate bill dies.

September 1988. US Department of Commerce approves shipment of weapons grade anthrax to Iraq.

September 1988. US Department of Commerce approves shipment of weapons grade botulinum toxin to Iraq.

September 1988. December 1988. Dow chemical sells $1.5 million in pesticides to Iraq despite knowledge that these would be used in chemical weapons.

July 25, 1990. US Ambassador to Baghdad meets with Hussein to assure him that President Bush "wanted better and deeper relations". Many believe this visit was a trap set for Hussein. A month later Hussein invaded Kuwait thinking the US would not respond.

August 1990. Iraq invades Kuwait. The precursor to the Gulf War.

Late February and March 1991. U.S.-led forces slaughter the Iraqi army as it retreats from Kuwait. Then George H. W. Bush calls an abrupt halt to the Gulf War. During the confusion, Bush calls for Iraqis to rise up against Saddam Hussein. But Hussein is allowed to fly his helicopters in order to crush the rebellion in the north and south of Iraq. At least an additional 100,000 people are killed and hundreds of thousands of refugees flee into the mountains along the border of Iraq and Turkey.

July 1991. The Financial Times of London reveals that a Florida chemical company had produced and shipped cyanide to Iraq during the 80's using a special CIA courier. Cyanide was used extensively against the Iranians.

August 1991. Christopher Droguol of Atlanta's branch of Banca Nazionale del Lavoro is arrested for his role in supplying loans to Iraq for the purchase of military supplies. He is charged with 347 counts of felony. Droguol is found guilty, but US officials plead innocent of any knowledge of his crime.

June 1992. Ted Kopple of ABC Nightline reports: "It is becoming increasingly clear that George Bush Sr., operating largely behind the scenes throughout the 1980's, initiated and supported much of the financing, intelligence, and military help that built Saddam's Iraq into [an aggressive power]."

September 1992. US Representative Henry Gonzalez of Texas in testimony before the House: "The arming of Iraq is one of the most incredible chapters in recent foreign policy. Not only were foreign aid programs and international financial systems abused, but our military men and women were sent to fight the very war machine we helped create."

February 1994. Senator Riegle form Michigan, chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, testifies before the senate revealing large US shipments of dual-use biological and chemical agents to Iraq that may have been used against US troops in the Gulf War and probably was the cause of the illness known as Gulf War Syndrome.

August 2002. "The use of gas [during the Iran-Iraq war] on the battle field by the Iraqis was not a matter of deep strategic concern... We were desperate to make sure that Iraq did not lose". Colonel Walter Lang, former senior US Defense Intelligence officer tells the New York Times.

(Source.)

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    You're right Tal, I didn't read your post carefully. Having gone back and read it more carefully, though...

uh, it's still nonsense :p

England, France, Russia (in theory--whether it could muster the cash to support a military adventure abroad is an open question), Canada, and Australia all have the military resources to strike at a nation "on the other side of the world" with a reasonable chance of success. Depending on the target, of course. England couldn't conquer China, but how about New Zealand (or whomever)? Not to mention nations such as China who could drastically redefine the map of their region if they chose to.

And it isn't as though America's been going it alone militarily. The strikes on Iraq and Afghanistan were made possible, or at least a lot easier, due to allies. Permission to use staging areas in other nations, as well as their airspace and national waters was pretty durned important. Try staging a purely amphibious invasion of a nation, supported only by naval and air resupply--with supply lines ten thousand miles long--and no allies. Not fun.

So yes, America's the sole superpower, but it's hardly the only power of note.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Be careful labelling what you don't understand as nonsense.

I never wrote anything that would indicate that the US is the only country in the world which could do that. In fact, here's what I wrote: "The US is the only country in the world which can pick a target country on the other side of the world it doesn't like for some reason, invade it, and get away with it scot-free, not having to answer to anyone for anything."

I've bolded the important bits in the sentence for you to help you comprehend what the point of it was.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I got the point, Tal. I don't buy it, is all. If England up and invaded...oh...I dunno...Madagascar (after providing appropriate justification; there're WMDs, terrorists, whatever) I doubt they'd be seriously penalized by anyone. After all, who really cares about Madagascar?

That's the important part; no one with the power to do anything (economic sanctions, military intervention) about America's invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan (or...pretty much any other place we've intervened in the last ten years) cared enough about the targets to intervene on their behalf. Now, if America went and invaded...France, say, you can bet your ass there'd be intervention from other nations, because the nations with power would see their interests being threatened.

What if I do understand it and still think it's nonsense? :p
    I'm teasing, btw. If it irritates you, just lemme know and I'll stop.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, you get it now, you obviously didn't before, as you're singing a completely different tune now. There was no mention of consequences anywhere in your previous post.

Yes, that's one way of looking on it, but I wasn't talking about the silly idea of the US attacking one of the European countries because I think it's very obvious that most of Europe would rise up at something like that. I was talking about feasible military targets for the US, like Iraq, Iran, Syria etc.

There's a rules sticky in AoDA which spells out what you can and can't do pretty clearly. I'd reserve calling something nonsense unless it was really very and/or undeniably possible (with evidence) to prove it wrong. You're not even remotely there.

[ March 12, 2005, 15:26: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Alas, I have been defeated by my own words. Le sigh. You are, of course, quite correct. What was that line about "pride goeth..." again? ;)

Well, no one would intervene if America struck at the possibilities you mentioned because the fate of those nations isn't of great concern to the powers capable of intervening, either militarily or through economic sanction (although, if America went on a middle eastern rampage, I wonder what OPEC's response would be? *shrug*). Why strain yourself on behalf of someone whom, if anything, you dislike?

Now, if America went and invaded someone (France/North Korea) other significant powers had interest in (EU/China), then America would pay a price.

Thing is, America's not alone in being able to attack "unimportant" nations without consequence. Again, England could go invade Madagascar (well, I'm assuming Madagascar isn't important to any major power, since I don't actually know anything about it aside from its geographical location) and in all probability no nation would do anything significant in response.

UN sanctions? Veto power says no.

Military intervention? Why waste your nation's blood and treasure taking on a fairly powerful military for no practical benefit to yourself.

Economic sanctions? Why bother, it'd hurt you as much as it hurt them.

And so on.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, as I said above, we're talking about feasible military targets right now, not something there's next to no chance of ever happening in the present situation. Also, I very much doubt that England could attack say Madagascar at will without any international consequences. Still, as England is closely allied with the US, your example isn't really a very good one, because the no consequences scenario, if anything, would most likely come from the US backing what the UK did. As it is now, the US is in debt to the UK for supporting them on Iraq.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Well...as far as feasible military targets go, the problem is that AFAIK the other nations I feel could "get away with it" have no interest in attacking a nation any real distance from themselves. Might be wrong--I haven't paid much attention to the the relations England, France, Canada, Russia et al have with the rest of the world.

Well, replacing "England" with "any of those nations", you're right; there would be consequences. I don't believe they'd be very significant consequences (I should've made that clear earlier). A slap on the wrist, nothing more.

The reason I feel that way is that, in general, nations don't take actions for moral reasons, but rather for practical reasons (of course, one man's idea of practical can be far different from another man's). Practically speaking, intervening on behalf of a defeated or soon-to-be-defeated nation isn't very sound policy unless you have a vested interest in that nation's welfare. And even then...

Intervention, no matter what form it may take, entails risk. Economic risk, military risk, or both. There is also risk in not intervening; other nations may decide warfare's A-okay, 'cause big brother sure ain't watching, and go launch invasions of their own. I think the average nation will say, "Yeah, precedent is bad, but losing an aircraft carrier trying to stop the British would be worse"

Of course, sometimes nations do take action for moral reasons (though very rarely). If there was a popular outcry in...oh...America because the Brits attacked Madagascar and then committed genocide, popular sentiment might force leaders to take action. *shrug*

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Neither does England, really. They're past that phase. It's now obviously the US's turn.

It also depends on what the motive for the invasion would be. Because, with Iraq, Bush can still claim he did it for the good of the Iraqi people and not be lying completely, even though it's obvious to some of us that this was only the by-product of Saddam's removal, not the intended goal. No country is that benevolent.

Anyway, we're now so completely off-topic that I better shut up before we start discussing white elephants or something... :shake:

10. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Well, if Bush doesn't think much of the U.N., Bolton seems the logical person to represent his (dis)interests. I doubt he cares at all what the other ambassadors think of this. But he makes perfect sense as a choice if you think "Bush wants someone to represent his opinions and interests," rather than "Bush wants to make a calculated insult to random other member nations." Bush perceives the U.N. as an ineffective negotiative body, I'm assuming (I don't know of any statements he's made against the U.N), and has chosen someone who will at least make an effort of positive reform. If he is not successful, then he'll at least cut off the other countries from taking some sort of action that the US doesn't perceive as being in it's interest through strategic use of his veto...

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Sorry to continue with the offtopic drivel but these two points really require explanations. I'm not awfully fond of USSR but how exactly do you twist them as responsible for the Vietnam War and Korean War? Sure they supported the commies in both by selling them weapons and in the Korean War they quite clearly armed the red troops, but no soviet troops fought in either war, and if you start considering arming a country as responsibility for war then you could add quite a few more wars to the list of wars that america is responsible of. ;)

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't seen any white elephants, but I saw a white buffalo on vacation last year... ;)

I wasn't too sure about the USSR reference either -- I think they did a lot of training and arms sales but I'd say North Korea was the aggressor and in Viet Nam the Viet Cong was the aggressor -- we came in after France. I'd consider both of these civil wars we decided to meddle in (that whole domino effect thing...).

I'm hoping that Bolton will shake things up a bit and make the UN more efficient -- whether it is because of Bolton or in spite of him doesn't really matter to me as long as it happens.

13. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I seriously doubt that Bolton can reform the UN in any way especially since there are so few who will support him. Like it or not the will of US is not enough to reform the UN. What is likely is that Bolton will probably alianate US even more from the international community. This whole nominations leaves me baffled and I just can't figure exactly what the Bush regime wishes to accomplish with it.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Precisely because of communist doctrine. For communism to succeed, it needs to be in place globally. Thus, the soviets by funding, supplying, and ultimately arming the said nations played a huge role in both wars. The same can be said for China with respect to the Korean War, although there they actually were involved militarily.

If your point is that no Russian soldier ever fired a shot at an American during the Vietnam War, then I agree in principle with your statement. The point I was making was not to necessarily place blame on the USSR, but state that the US was not responsible for those conflicts.

15. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The problem with this idea is that we are talking of a civil war. How does one decide which side is the true "aggressor" in such a war? It would be like saying that the Union or the Confederacy was the aggressor in the American Civil War. You can argue such a point until the cows come home and not get any closer to a definitive answer. What made those wars different was the foreign intervention and the constant stream of propaganda, which tried to play the differing sides against each other in a larger scheme of geo-political strategy, whereas most other civil wars are internalized events.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Read about the wars. It will be obvious which side was the aggressor. When one side uses deadly force on another to push it's views -- the aggressor becomes obvious.

In our civil war the Union was the aggressor.

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Really, here I had always thought that the first shots were fired by the Confederates on Ft. Sumter, Charleston Harbour, SC. The date would be April, 12 1861. T2, sounds like a bit of revisionist history to me. I love Civil War history, next to the Revolution, it's my favorite part of American History. I won't hijack this topic, so if you would like, start a thread, something like, American military history, or something, and I would be glad to debate just about any American war there.

18. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I don't see any chance of saving the UN. What good is it when more trust is placed in Yasser Arrafat and his henchmen than in a democracy like Israel? Or Fidel Castro over any American president? It's turning into nothing more than a criminal enterprise.

19. T2Bruno

Media:
    Taluntain wins again with his amazing powers of prediction....

:)

Edit: I'm giving myself an :yot: The first shot is not necessarily the aggressor. The Union was using military force to enforce it's beliefs on the Confederacy -- the battle at Fort Sumner was the South striking at an enemy within Confederate borders.

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    It's worth noting that aggressor doesn't necessarily mean "lacking the moral high ground" ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.