1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game of Thrones 14-minute Sneak Peek (HBO) *spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Taluntain, Apr 10, 2011.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I get both Showtime and HBO on my current service. Some of the shows are really awesome -- it's nice not to have to deal with laugh tracks, and it's nice to get some really gritty stuff. Chandos, you said you've not heard of Oz -- I highly recommend getting hold of the DVDs and watching at least the first two seasons. Great acting, compelling storylines, just kick ass stuff all the way. I feel the same way about Dexter. There's a few other series I wouldn't mind getting into, but man, time is short these days, and the problem with a lot of these shows is that you can't really miss an episode or you totally lose the plot.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Watched it. Though it's been a while since I read A Game of Thrones, the scenes seemed to play out as I remember it.

The first episode ended at a pretty good point:
    Where Jaime pushed Bran from the window.

Enjoyed it very much.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
  3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Waiting for it to arrive in Sweden, approximate ETA 30 minutes. I have been waiting for someone to do a *proper* fantasy series for ages now. It is an affront to the genre and humanity that the horrible "Sword of Truth" was first and managed to be even sillier, stupider and worse than the books. They have more to work with now, let's bless the rest of the world with real fantasy goodness.

Watched it and thought they captured everything really well. So far so good but I must say that I find the nakedness to be a tad gratuitous there more for "edge" value than a real purpose. I would be interested in seeing how someone who hasnt read the books find the show. My thought would be that it could be hard to follow exactly what is going on.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the spoiler BTA!! It's not in the UK until tonight! Thanks very much!!

:p

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's pretty much HBO for you :)

Quit your whining! If you've read the book it isn't a spoiler, and if you haven't, you don't know what I'm talking about, or even who. :p

I think a major thing that would be missed is the omen of the Dire Wolf and the Stag killing each other leaving the pups. It isn't clear at this time the heraldry, and though it was pointed out during the scene that the Dire Wolf is the symbol of the Starks, I don't think the Stag was mentioned anywhere as the Baratheon crest.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

It's there in the pictures, but you'd have to be really, REALLY on the ball to catch that if you hadn't read the books.

I was less than happy with Dany and Khal Drogo --

It still made it look like the guy was a selfish, forceful douche and that she was more raped than married -- in the book it was made clear that his decency and sensitivity let her relax and she boinked him with some degree of willingness and even enjoyment.

Other than that, I think that it's fairly straightforward and easy for the unread to follow along with the story. All the other changes I saw were for ease of comprehension.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I refuse to get excited about this and will not watch it unless that lazy Martin finishes the rest of the books.

---------- Added 0 hours, 3 minutes and 55 seconds later... ----------

The trailer says "This video is private" so I can't even watch the clip. My frustration with this series knows no bounds.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was just winding you up, I know what happens, I've read and re-read the books :D.

I thought it was amazing. Some bits had to be changed, of course, because some things just wouldn't work, film and book are two totally different mediums. The classic example is The Shining - read the book and then watch the film. The differences are very obvious, but the changes were required to make a good book into a good film. It's also why Watchmen is a bit **** - Snyder copied the graphic novel almost page for page, and it didn't work as a film because of that.

I thought Game of Thrones was quality.

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I watched it this morning and enjoyed it very much. However, I'm curious how it is tracking with people who haven't read the book. I can't help but think that they would have found it boring and/or confusing. Maybe that is why they relied on nudity :)

The episode must have shattered the record for number of beheadings in an hour.

10. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I caught a rerun at my parent's house. As someone who hasn't heard of the books before I thought it was excellent, really well made. While I wouldn't call it boring per se it's definitely valid to say that the entire episode was basically just introducing characters rather than actually having anything happening. It's understandable though for a first episode, I presume they'll get on with the plot now. I heard that they wanted to do an extra long episode to start but were turned down by the network.

I thought there was a big difference when they went across the water to the other country. The characters seemed a lot more simple, with the savages being completely one dimensional. They seemed out of place for a grown up political drama, like something you'd find in an action series. Maybe they'll evolve as it goes on but the main country seemed far more interesting.

One thing that was really bugging me throughout was the climate. Unless the area involved is continent sized rather than country it made little sense that it varied so much. The capital seemed to have nice weather but across the water was a harsh desert. And Sean Bean's place was a mix of sunshine and cold. They usually had heavy furs on but at other times characters were fine just wearing normal clothes.

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Here's a map of the main continent of Westeros. Winterfell (Sean Bean's place) is about 1500 to 1600 miles north of King's Landing.

12. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

That's about two and a half times the length of Britain. I suppose you would see some difference in climate at that scale. I pictured the country as being the size of an old European country like Britain. Looking at that map the place is enormous.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Am I the only one to think what good does a ridiculously large wall do you when you've got so many holes in it barred with wooden doors? Not to mention the completely unrealistic height and width of the thing (yes, I know this is fantasy, but Martin is usually relatively realistic)... I've only read through about half of the first book so maybe this is explained in a way that makes sense later on?

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I'd say that it's similar to saying why have castle walls when you got a hole in it with a wooden door? :) How many holes do they have? I don't recall; was it one per castle along the Wall? That woudn't be very many over a 300 mile span.

And since it's made of ice in a constantly frozen north, I don't think the size is unreasonable for the many centuries of its existence...

EDIT According to the wiki there are only two tunnels through the Wall:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh, looking at that map you linked I thought there was a passage with each stronghold, which would make 19. Makes much more sense if there are only two.

As for the size of the wall, I think it's unrealistic in the sense that a wall a fraction as high would serve just as well, wouldn't it? It's not like those that it's supposed to protect against are going at it with siege machinery...

Even if it was made with the help of giants, 210 meters in height for a pre-industrial society is ridiculous... especially when it's supposed to be only "wide enough for several mounted knights to ride abreast atop of it". For the record, the Great Wall of China is 5-8 meters in height and about as thick as well. I'm no structural engineer, but I'm pretty sure that a needle-thin (comparatively) wall of ice of skyscraper height would only stand (if at all) until the first gust of wind came along. Not to mention that enormous amounts of snow would continuously be piling up on both flanks of the wall...

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I thought that it was the most interesting thread of the entire novel. However, I only read the first two books, and was hoping for a lot more development of that particular thread. I really like high fantasy. Instead, Martin sort of shoved the thread aside [except as a plot device] and focused on his take, lifted from the historical English civil war, of The War of Roses combining it with a fantasy setting, and the first two novels developed into a medieval soap opera, rather than something more original, at least IMHO.

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I don't think the wall is the same depth at the bottom as the top. As I recall it takes a while to make the journey through the tunnel, so it seems much wider at the bottom than the several mounted knights worth at the top.

Now whether a smaller wall would suffice it's diffcult to say since we really don't know exactly what was happening when it was built, and how much has been added in the millenia since and why.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    The HBO depiction shows it the same width top and bottom as far as I can see... I don't think that Martin would let that slip by him if that wasn't his idea of it. For the journey through to take long my idea would be that the path was intentionally not a straight line through the wall but snaking... otherwise, the wall would have to be ridiculously thick as well (but the wiki entry doesn't suggest that). I can't find any mention of the exact thickness of the wall though.

As for what was happening when it was built, the wiki lists wildlings and the Others as the threat it was built to protect from. As they are apparently the only threat on the other side, the scope of the wall seems completely out of proportion considering the threat. Not to mention that a wall that size, even if it was possible to build, would probably take an enormous number of people thousands (?) of years to build - years during which nothing would actually come close to the wall. So, uh... they're building this gargantuan wall for thousands of years to epic proportions with apparently nothing challenging it during its entire 8000-year existence.

That started to make no logical sense at all long before I got to the end... but I guess that's what happens when you try to view fantasy through reality-tinted glasses. :heh:

Btw, for Harbs and those who missed it initially, I replaced the video I posted originally with another one which is not blocked at the moment.

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:

...And you have hit on the problem with that particular thread; it is not developed in a meaningful way. It is as if Martin had this idea, a very good idea, but then left off on it for something different. I completely agree with your frustration, Tal. And I'm not surprised that even his ardent fans can't answer your very astute questions.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    It's not really well developed because it is an artifact from 8 millenia ago that nobody remembers what it was protecting the land from except boogeymen that just about nobody believes in any more. The Night's Watch has become a place to send criminals to serve out their days instead of inflicting some other punishment. Even then Castle Black only houses 600 men now when it used to have more than five thousand and the other eighteen mostly empty castles were garrisoned back then as well.

I think it's safe to say that we really have no idea what really went on back in those days and what kind of threat such a structure was meant to protect against. All we have are bits and pieces of old lore and boogeyman stories.

To me that's exactly what it was meant to be: A reminder of peril both mysterious and forgotten, thousands of years absent that the opening pages of the first book shows is beginning to stir again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.