1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Golems in the Keep

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mo, May 21, 2001.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Actually I tried several ways to kill the iron golem with success without getting hurt at all. I clearly remember two of them:

(a) cast multiple cloudkill in the room - this will work but is expensive for you´ll need the charges when dealing with the earth colossi

(b) much more elegant is to place someone with sling of everard close to the door and let him fire ghostbullet after ghostbullet on that beast till it finally dies ... since it can´t pass the door this is safe and easy. This tactic also worked great in the planar sphere and made Jaheira my fav golem killer.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited May 28, 2001).]

2. Captain Spud Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] The strategy DEUS has works well with a little bit of creativity. i had anomen cast blade barrier and then sanctuary (that way, when the blade barrier goes away i know to get out) i just stand by the golems that can be hurt by sharp objects and wait till they die. i just used the hammer you find to take out the clay golems and lilacor for the iron golem.

3. Ladril Leafstar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Has anyone found a good way of kicking that Adamantite Golem's arse yet? All the others are easy but this dude seems immune to everything, I can only do 3 points damage at a time and he does 20, hence I lose! :(

4. Ragusa

Media:
    I found the equalizer, sling of everard (ghost ammo) and firetooth hurt adamantite golems but, as you mentioned, with 1-3 damage each hit only.

It takes some tim to bring them down but IIRC the only time you can´t hurt them from a safe distance is finally in sulandessalar.
    So keep them distant and use your suitable ranged weaponry patiently, that is my favourite tactic to avoit losses against them.

5. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

An Adamantite Golem is the same as the Iron one, except it has higher STR, and physical dmg resistance. It can be hit with any +3 weapon.

I am not talking about the easiest solution -Ranger/Cleric dualwielding Flail of Ages and +4 Hammer, with Ironskins and Blade Barrier on.

The next best way to beat it (even with low level parties) is to use summoned creatures and mages to absorb the hits (yes, I am sane :)).

It goes like this:
    Summon the fodder and move the first creature to start the fight. As soon as the golem turns attention to the creature rush in with your fighters and start hitting it. When the creature is dead, move in the next one, while backing away with the fighters. Proceed until you are out of fodder. Then cast Stoneskin on one of your mages. Move it to attack the golem, proceed as before. You have to be careful though and cast the next Stoneskin as soon as the previous one runs out.
    If you are out of Stoneskins for your mage, and out of summoned creatures, and the Golem is still standing, you can try hit-and-run with Melf's Minute Meteors.

6. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You can also set traps to provide some initial damage when you force shoot them with an arrow. One at a time is important.

Remember magic blunt weapons vs. clay, +3 or better weapons vs. iron. And if Nalia has polymorph self, she can become a Gnoll with a halberd that hits creatures only affected by +3 or better weapons. I've killed the iron with only her as a gnoll and Minsc with Lilarcor doing damage (with an opening trap damage) to it.

7. Ragusa

Media:
    Finally, in Sundanessalar, my max-level party simply attaced it in melee for they had a very good AC and very good weapons. It´s ben a wee bit hairy but well possible with an all-tank party and careful tactic ( :D all on the beast at once - lots of damage done and taken ;) )

8. Ladril Leafstar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] One way to kill them is get a magical throwing weapon that returns to your hand, if the Golem is larg it will get trapped in the doorway and you kill from a distance without a scratch!

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

HEy Ragusa. I like Your sentence which both involves an all-tank party. And carefull tactic :p I know You were just kidding.. Right? :)

Oh well. Everone else has given their ideas a shot at this toppic so here goes: Yesterday evening I just completed BG2 again with my solo F/M/T. Just to experience those spawntheories the Extremist has. Boy where there many vamps in Bodhis lair. Phew!! ok back to sundanesselar. I have found it efficient to fight golems. Especially adamantium golems with the following combination:A fighter with 2 weaponslots or more in flails. Boots of speed. Haste. (improved haste) and Flail of ages. And Then give him everything the group has that improves AC. No secondary weapon just a powerfull shield SPOILER: SPOILER SPOILER The sentinel from underdark)

An example for low level PC:

I have a plain fighter.
    Normal Fullplate
    ring +2
    Hopefully 16-18 dex
    Ring of earth control
    Helm of balduran
    Shield +2/+3
    Flail of Ages. Then haste him and protect him from evil. Bless him.

This should give an aAC below 10. At this point the Golems wil have a hard time killing the PC if he faces them 1 on

I think this works in the keep.
    And as everyone says. Get the Flail head first. Then attack the Golems one by one.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited May 30, 2001).]

10. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You cant use FoA if you are a Monk and soloing - then youre stuck anyway

[You resurrected a 2 year old thread just to make this comment? :rolleyes: ] -Tal

[ July 04, 2003, 01:18: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

11. kukec Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

hehe I did it like this:
    In centre of the room i cast 1 skull trap then i haste Korgan and he took all loot and ran out like crazy.Golems awakes and follow him and when they step on skull trap BOOM!!!and alive was only one little golem who was near dead.Viconia look at him and with smile on her face :evil:crush poor golem :help:to dust

12. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Do NOT take any item before you´ve killed them.
    Just attack them one by one. If you attack the Iron Golem for example no other Golems will wake up. Might be considered to be cheese by alot of people, but hey, dont you think your party could figure out that they are some sort of guardians. And that the phat equipment over there might be what they are guarding. I think they can.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.