1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good Fantasy or Scifi Series

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Rathanel, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

A View from the Mirror does take it's time to pick up pace, yes. But once it's moving, oh boy ;) I've found the last book to be extremely fascinating. 'Interesting plotchanges' would be an understatement.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Personally, I thought "Shanara" was nothing but LOTR with the descriptions/songs pared down and the names changed - a huge rip-off. "Magic Kingdom for Sale" was cute but that's about it.

How about the classic - Thieves' World? Lynn Abbey's new book was a good addition and I'm hoping that she continues, even if she goes solo instead of reviving Sanctuary as a shared playground.

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The Earthsea trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin

Rallymama, I agree with your observation of the Shannarra books. One of the more blatant ripoffs of Tolkien. I still read it twice though.

4. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Try Elizabeth Haydon's Rhaphsody, Prophocey (sp?), Destiny and Requrim (sp?) of the Sun. Very good and a little different from the usual AD&D stuff.

Mercedes Lackey and Norton (not sure on the first name) made at least two books called Elvenbane and Elvenblood (think that thas the second book). These are cool in the sense that the Elves take on an evil persona and enslave Humans. Also redefines how Dragons are looked at.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I think that Brooks' Shannara was part paen to Tolkien and part resurrection of fantasy as a mainstream genre. He does have some semi-original good ideas and explores them pretty well. At least his stuff isn't as derivative as the TSR books -- there's enough character development to make the read worthwhile.

What's this new Lynn Abbey book you mentioned? I LOVED Thieves' World, although I didn't like Morris' and Cherryh's hijacking of the primary storyline.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Lynn Abbey wrote a novel called Sanctuary that came out in June. Here's one of the reviews posted on amazon.com

I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to more. I have no idea if she plans to continue on her own or open it back up to other writers. I agree, the Roxane-Ischade takeover was the low point of the original 12 books.

ps - ...and we all know the only way to get to amazon.com, don't we?

[ February 06, 2003, 02:28: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Hmm, most of the authors I really enjoy have already been mentioned but here are a few others who I like.

Elizabeth Moon - I like both her fantasy and science fiction. In particular I really enjoyed her Paksenarion novels (but not the Gird novels that take place in the same setting) and her Heris Serrano/Esmay Suiza novels (although the last two have not been nearly as good as the first five).

Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars novels (fantasy) have been pretty good.

Timothy Zahn for science fiction.

Dave Wolverton's Golden Queen series (also science fiction).

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Even though you asked for series as opposed to single books, let me recommend the following mix of both:

John Myers Myers - Silverlock (single book with a follow up called the Moon's Fire Eating Daughter, which was not as good)

Goldman's The Princess Bride - Even if you've seen the movie, it's worth it. If you haven't seen the movie, read the book and see the movie (and, contrary to most situations, it doesn't matter which happens first, they are both awesome)

If you are into "heroic" fantasy, you can get the original Robert E. Howard Conan books, and the various eternal champion series from Michael Moorcock, and the Kane books by Karl Edward Wagner - very dark. ***Warning that these are generally not thought provokers***

Also, if you like Martin, I suggest picking up The Armageddon Rag - it's more horror'ish than sci fi or fantasy, but it sucks you in.

If you like a little politics with your sci fi, try F. Paul Wilson's stuff (Healer, the Lanague Chronicles, and one other I cannot remember).

Realistically, I read tons of these books and have for three decades (amassed a large library as you might imagine), so anyone is welcome to PM me and I'll try to give suggestions that fit your various tastes. If I am an expert in anything, this is it.

9. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this classic series, it's even an easter egg in BGI. Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

No one read the 'artefacts of power' written by maggie furey??

Really good series IMO

11. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'll toss in a mention of Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy. Very well written, but also quite dark.

12. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Two words: David Gemmell.

Everything this man's ever written is great, but the Drenai series is absolutely marvellous. These books have it all: a vibrant, well-developed world with a rich history, great heroes, dark villains and three-dimensional characters. The latter is especially Gemmell's strong suit; nobody, not even Tolkien (and I don't say this lightly) writes characters better than Gemmell. They have their good sides and their bad sides, and nobody is just one thing. Very highly recommended.

13. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Though I've read a few reviews that blasted it, I really liked R.A. Salvatore's Crimson Shadow series. His halfling sidekick, Oliver DeBurrows, makes the whole thing worth reading. I really enjoyed those.

14. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Cross has got it. David gemmel is brilliant. Having said that, his characters are generally the same, but if you look past that its an enjoyable read...

15. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I must cast another vote for Gemmell. His books are very enjoyable - especially liked the Rigante series.

16. Jarlaxle Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How about the Dinotopia books by James Gerny (Gerney?) they are kind of kidish but they are a good read and his illustrations are AWSOME! Alan Dean Forester wrote a follow-up called Dinotopia Lost (which is a novel, not like Gerny's "picture book") that was really cool.

i also agree that Terry Brook's Shannara books both Hertage and Sword of Shannara series are excellent reads. Weis and Hickman's The Death Gate cycle doesn't get really good until the second and third books and at the end there's a big suprise!

17. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I can't believe no one posted Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince, and Dragon Star series. They areawesome!

18. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I personally enjoyed Anne McCaffrey's series "The Dragon Riders of Pern," but the books are kind of slow, and I wouldn't blame any one who didn't like them. I enjoyed it, though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.