1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Grocery list" (Religion)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Maurolava, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Not possible. There is no god and if there is I don't want any part of him and his baffling justice. Being damned to hell for not worshiping him is one of the many injustices in his name.

But that's just me.

One call for help is answered yet millions around the world are not yet this is enough to warrent a faith of this deity? Seems like a right fickle bastard to me.

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Of course it can happen. Lots of things happen in this world that defy explaination. Many are hoaxes...but some truly can not be reasoned away.

but...it's probably not the hand of God.

It's probably the acts of some demon or evil spirit. How else to confirm the arrogant defiance of those with no faith, as is evidenced by this...
    and this...
    and this...
    and this...
    Pretty nifty trick to stir up such bitter vetch over what looks like a quaint little story on the surface, eh? Of course, you'd have to figure that demons would be pretty good at playing upon human nature ;) .

And on the other hand, it has a unique and negative effect on people with faith to make them abandon self dependence and look upon God as sole provider. It also can cause bitterness if they feel that their prayers are less worthy than another's. That's not to say that miracles from God don't happen...I just doubt the source of most miracles that are supposed to be.

The real miracle in a story like this is that this hungry woman could've gone to The Salvation Army, Saint Mary's Food Bank or Paz de Christo and gotten help. Not directly from the hand of God, but from people of Faith who feel it's their duty, as Christ taught, to feed the hungry and clothe the naked. That's the little miracle here, and it happens thousands of times every day. God at work, but in too small a voice for most to ever hear.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

For me, it seems like some people's views on Christianity and theism are no more valid than Pat Robertson's views on feminism and Islam.

That said, I feel that a person should not have to rely on miracle (or mystery, or authority) to believe in God.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Can it? It's certainly possible.

It is, however, extremely improbable--around as improbable as Tal being a space alien, actually.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31

So anything and everything that shows religion to be bad is the action of a devil? I understand that God is (supposedly) almighty and all-powerful yet doesn't influence the free will of humans. Doesn't that give Him free reign on keeping devils, demons and whatever dreamed up nasties are supposedly out to frame Him at bay and under control? If He doesn't protect people from the spawn of Satan he isn't doing his job very well.

So Christians are the only people who form charity groups? How is it God at work? He's not allowed to influence people. These people have been influenced by the opinions of others (most likely at a very young age). I admit, what they do is a good thing but God had NO HAND IN THIS. They have been convinced by other people who were convinced by other people and so on and so forth till we get to whoever made up the religion in the first place. No hand of God, just people believing others when they are usually at a very impressionable age.

6. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

So, anything someone says against "god" in the good name of skepticism is the work of demons playing on my nature? Well, I'll be a demon ;) Personally, when I read the bible I thought God was a pretty odd deity... I like Zeus better, he's more believable, came before God, and is quite the player ;) (although many times in his own family tree... Ewies!)

7. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

No, these things dont happen. Well, you asked.

Stories of that sort, derived from them various myths, serve only the purpose of keeping people longing, waiting and looking for something that will never be, nor has ever been. I think it all pretty perfidious and outright cruel, as hollow promises tend to be. On the other hand it might keep some from becoming daunted by a cynical world, preserve faith in and hope for some measure of goodness - and encourage some action. So...

Whatever.

8. Chimera Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Such bitterness to see only demons playing in what are some quaint comments in a gaming forum. Must be those demons at work, truly.

[ February 06, 2006, 15:27: Message edited by: Chimera ]

9. Tofa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

To all on the boards i just wanna say that i am a Christian. I'm not gonna preach to you. I love Jesus Christ and definately believe that Miricles such as this one can happen. In the end I believe God loves you despite your feelings for him.

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

AMen.

Guys, Jesus Saves! The rest of you take full damage.

Seriously, I would like to believe that this kind of thing happens. Mircales happen every day, you just have to spot them

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Can it happen? Absolutely. I have seen greater miracles than this myself. Did it happen, probably not.
    People, God is real. He loves you, but He wants you to make your own decision to follow Him, which is why He doesn't force you to follow Him or surround you with miracles. Many of the bad things that happen are the results of bad people doing bad things. God won't stop these people, only make sure that good comes out of it. At the same time, God wants us to grow in maturity. He wants us to be spiritually strong and able to handle temptations and trials. If He fixed everything that ever went wrong, none of us would ever be prepared for any challenge of any kind.
    Ok, that's probably enough preaching from me, but if anyone wants to ask questions, go ahead.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm interested in whether this 'you must make your own decision follow Him, which is why He doesn't force you to follow Him or surround you with miracles' thing is supported by scripture at all? If not then I question your ability to speak for God (who, I might note, apparently had no problem in the past manifesting and laying smackdown when people failed to believe in him)

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Are you looking for, "Blessed are those who have not seen but have believed?" ;)

Or:

"Blessed art thou, Peter, for flesh and blood hath not revealed this unto thee, but my Father which is in Heaven."

There are more. ;)

14. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31

There were tons of god and deities thousands upon thousands of years before this "god" came into play. A lot of us look at "him" as fanatically as the Greeks did their gods, to the point of actually believing and praying to them. Today's "god" is no different than Zeus or Vishnuu.

Thousands of years from now, Christianity will be known as mythology just like Greek Mythology, be taught as mythology and myth, and will be laughed at for its crazy ideas. :D

15. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Thanks, Chev.
    JiggaJay:
    Not really. First off, Judaism has roots about as old as any other recognized religion (not cavemen worshiping lightning). Judaism has certainly survived plenty of attempts to wipe it out. Christianity is a development from that and has survived plenty of its own crises. Also, God is actually real. Ok, you may not believe that part, but the fact remains. God proves Himself every day, all over the world. Ressurection of the dead is not limited to the New Testament, there was a well documented case in South Africa just a few years ago.

16. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31

God proves himself everyday? Wait, could it be, nothing? :D Does he actually show up in all his glory and say "It is I, GOD!! bwahaha feel my love/wrath?" Where is this "proof" you speak of, and resurrection? I can see human organs stop functioning and then begin refunctioning after a short period, but I doubt this "god" did it. There's something called reason and analysis, use that instead of just saying "OMG A PARDOX!! IT MUST HAVE BEEN GOD!! OMG my house burned down but its ok because 'GOD' started the fire to throw challenges into my life!!"

17. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Do you have any links to this story, NOG? You should have known that someone would ask. ;)

18. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    The Resurrection of Pastor Daniel Ekechukwu
    Here you all go. Sorry, it was in Nigeria. The man still has scars from where the embalming fluid was injected! The actualy ressurection was videotaped! (there was a major preacher in the church, so there were lots of video recorders) This has been heavily documented and has yet to even have someone try to seriously debunk it other than "Oh, it must have been some natural force we don't understand."

19. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31

Oh, and this is an act of god how? Why would god punish his faithful servant by putting him back on earth, instead of letting him have his place in the all glorious after-life called "heaven?" The source is some random guy's website.

I guess if this is an act of god, then my comp crashing is an act of god, instead of it being seriously bugged. My grandpa dying of a heart attack was an act of god, instead of him having terrible cholesterol and veins blocking his heart.

20. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Your computer crashing would actually be "An Act of Windows"...too obvious for God.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.