1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Holy Gunfire Batman!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've only ever seen an actual gun in real life on one occasion, and that was strapped to a cop I saw in California once. In my whole life living here in New Zealand I have never seen, let alone touched a gun. Not surprisingly, gun related deaths in this country are so rare, they make front page news.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh, I know, that's why I never use them as such.

Right. And the fact that these happen so rarely to be almost unheard of does not shake your conviction in the slightest.

Another straw man. We aren't discussing gang violence but mass killings by Joe Crazies. Actually, the logical fallacy is your inability to comprehend the fact that if you remove the means for easy ranged massacres, they become exponentially harder to pull off. By your reasoning, guns are somehow the only weapon on the planet that rational logic does not apply to. Where are your second-choice massacres in Europe? Or is your point that we don't have lunatics who want to kill other people here?

The majority of what you listed above are classified as terrorist activities. And I'm sure I don't need to point out to you how much harder any of those are to pull off undetected post 9/11. They pretty much don't happen without highly trained terrorist (group) involvement and even the great majority of those attempts are foiled before they can pull them off. I think that it's obvious enough that that is not in the same league as Joe Crazy taking 5, going to the gun store and coming back packing a gun and ammo to start his private crusade. This is without dissecting your list further, because at least half of what you listed is such fantasy that nobody is even attempting to do it because it's so unlikely to succeed. Try setting fire to a building undetected and before the building is evacuated. Try walking into any restaurant kitchen and start sprinkling poison on the food. Try figuring out how to structurally weaken anything without your structural engineer consultant reporting you the police. Etc.

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. 'Nuff said.

(Of course, if someone has been indoctrinated into believing that their pudding simply tastes so much better because it leaves a bit of a sour aftertaste, no amount of common sense will convince them otherwise.)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  3. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This is a moot point. Even if somebody had snuck a gun into the cinema, the killer had full ballistic body armour from head to toe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.