1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Homosexuality and Religion

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Abom,
    That's fine. But nowhere in the Gospel does Jesus specifically mention Homosexuality, let alone condemn it. Not once. If this were such a terrible, grievous sin, don't you think he would have at least...ya know, brought it up?

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Why bring it up if previous laws are satisfactory? The argument you can establish against homosexuality is if there is something said in the Old Testament that Jesus doesn't refute yet the Christian organised religions still don't follow the Old Testament version then why do the do the same for homosexuality?

3. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Let's say you're a man married to a woman. You have three beautiful children. You decide not to have anymore children (for monetary reasons or time reasons or just because you don't feel like it). You further the plan of God.

Now Let's say you're man married (or not, if same-sex marriage is illegal in your country) to a man. Your female friend agree to carry your child and give it birth. You have three beutiful children. You decide not to have anymore children (for monetary reasons or time reasons or just because you don't feel like it). You don't further the plan of God?

You seem to deny that homosexuals actually love each other. Homosexuality follows the same rules as heterosexuality in the sence that while there may be lustful relationships, gang bang, etc, there are loving relationships between two individuals. How can a homosexual relationship lead to a lifetime of pain whereas a heterosexuality relationship would not?

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well I'd say in that case the fact that the children will have two fathers and one mother yet the mother and father are not exactly in a proper relationship could be a problem.

However I imagine that they could work around it and nobody says mommy and daddy have to love each other in order to raise good kids.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Gnarff:

But Jesus himself says that nothing shall be removed from the Law - not even the smallest thing...

Matthew 5:18-19
    Luke 16:17
    I sense some inconsistancy in your thinking...

On the other hand, I sense inconsistancy in the Bible's thinking - but I'll do as (many) Christians do and only quote those parts which support my points for the given arguement :p You can bring up the contradictions of these statements if you like - but that doesn't really help you...

6. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My hunch is that many religions are a man-made expression of our deepest animal instincts. Humans, like all other animals, are ultimately about reproduction. Deep, deep down in our DNA there is a compelling voice telling us "have sex!!!!" as this leads to procreation. If we didn't have it, we'd be extinct by now, what with all the things in this universe just waiting to wipe us out in the blink of an eye.

This instinct shows up in things like "Be fruitful and multiply" and in the condemnation of anything that goes against procreation, i.e. homosexuality and birth-control (and abortion). It is not surprising to see some folks react violently to such things in their zeal to stamp them out.

7. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Just to drift from the traditional “the catholic church condemns homosexuality discussion”, how do others religions feel about the topic. I’d like to know how Buddhism, Hinduism, or any other religion, besides Judaism, Christianity and Islamism, feel about this question.

8. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Out of curiosity: If all of the prophets were the harbingers of God's word and infallibe, how come what some of them said contradicted what others said? Does that create a paradox?

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Clixby:

There is a special mechanism for dealing with such paradoxes - it's called 'doublethink'...

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Not even just the deepest instincts, either. I figure that whole shellfish thing was really just an "Ew! That looks gross!" reaction. Then, after people had tried it and discovered it was good, they repealed that law. Perhaps someday they'll repeal the law about homosexuality too...but I wouldn't hold my breath for it happening in my lifetime.

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey Fel...in that case, is there a biblical passage condemning Rocky Mountain Oysters? Or any other foods clearly based on a dare? :p

12. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Not dolphins, I'm afraid, but a quick search got me
    this.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just before we get started on homosexual animals, what about incest among animals? Or rape? Also good because it actually happens? Or are things natural just because some animals do it?

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

natural != good. But, it does stamp down the claim that 'homosexuality is bad because it's unnatural'. Because it's not. (Either, IMO, but the second is less subjective.)

15. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Homosexuality is "natural" not because animals do it, but because same sex interest most often emerges during early childhood for gays, just as opposite sex interest (schoolyard crushes and the like) emerges during early childhood for straights. Thus it's not a chosen perversion but a natural predeliction. I don't think that "because animals do it" should be the standard by which we judge any human activity. Animals also eat their own sh!t, devour their young, abandon the weak and a host of other traits commonly referred to as nature's cruelty.

I prefer not to bring what animals do into this discussion for 3 reasons. 1) Where animals have instinct alone, we have reason and free will to interpret our instincts. 2) It invites idiotic comparisons to beastiality and necrophelia. 3) It clouds the issue more than it already is.

So I humbly request we leave animals out of this, if nobody minds. Thanks in advance.

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Homosexuality and religion will never mix.

Many organized religions consider it a sin and an abomination under God. Therefore people who practice homosexuality are lost children and their sins will condemn them to an afterlife in hell.

Homosexuals on the other hand are deeply offended by this attitude. For all of there wailing about tolerance and understanding they will give the religious people no peace. The homosexuals believe that what they are is genetic (or even God-given) and they must be accepted. They believe that the religious should change their beliefs to coincide with theirs.

Life would be a whole lot simpler if the homosexuals would just live there lives the way they want to without having the need to inform/instruct the rest of us in what to believe.

17. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The problem here is that, they can't live their lives the way they want. After all, they are still struggling to achieve some basic rights, like the recognition of homosexual civil union.

18. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Life would be a whole lot simpler if the religeous conservatives would just live their lives the way they want to without having the need to inform/instruct the rest of us in what to believe.

That's got to be one of the more small-minded statements I've ever seen from you, Snook.

19. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Well...I'm sure once they stop having to worry about being physically assaulted, exiled by their families and reviled by those whom claim authority (polititians, religious leaders and the elderly), they'll get right on with the enjoying of their lives...

...but until that time...there is a large amount of hostility in society which they must try to defeat or at the very least mitigate.

It's a great underdog story...how can you not be on the side of the homos?

I've said it once, and I'm sure I'll say it again: I'd be gay, but I haven't yet met a man who reminded me of my mother.

20. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Regarding the divine outrage at homosexuality, I'm not sure its as simple as that.

This doesn't take in all homosexuals, but I know childhood abuse sometimes leads to homosexuality in adult life. My half brother was sexually abused by his father, and I suspect this is one of the reasons he became gay. That kind of thing can really scar somebody for life. But we're still brothers, and when I get mad at him, its for reasons other than his homosexuality. I have a hard time believing that God is gonna send such a person to fire and brimstone for eternity when something like that is in the background. Surely understanding and compassion must be qualities possessed by God? ;)

Now as for those who aren't homosexual for such reasons ... I'm inclined to think of monogamy between a man and a woman as the ideal, and that homosexuality represents a departure. I am monotheistic in my worldview, and the thought of getting with another man is absolutely revolting for myself personally. But when you get down to it, people could do far more harmful things than for two men to get together in privacy while nobody else is looking. And not having talked to God myself ;) I'm not going to get self-righteous about it and say "you're all damned". So I'm actually neutral or even undecided on how I think God would view such a thing. I guess I could take the easy way out and say "I just don't know". I do make a point of being and staying friends with people that I know are homosexual. I might personally disagree with how they're living, but hey, its their lives. I have no right to compel otherwise.

If down the road I had a child who turned out homosexual, I might feel disappointment initially. But that person would still be my child, and I think I would still do everything as a father to see that child happy and making it in the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.