1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How 'bout them NY METS???!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Klorox, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Cards up 3-2, and for all practical purposes, this series is over. The Mets absolutely had to go back to NY up 3-2 instead of down to have any realistic hope of winning this series. I don't put much stock in putting a guy on the mound who was in the minors on opening day, and even if they do pull it out, who the heck pitches game 7? If the Mets somehow pull this off, they are the "new" Miracle Mets.

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Yep, How about them NY Mets?? Wow they pull off what must be their biggest win, against Carpenter they pull out a lead they never lose, Weaver throws the game of his life, and Wagner doesn't blow the save. And yes, Aldeth I think this really will be the Mircale Mets if they pull this off now.

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'm praying history repeats itself for the Cards, just like in '87 baby. The Cards are bloody awful at maintaining leads when they're three games up. I want to see a Tigers v. Mets Series.

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

its 1-1 right now in game seven... hopefully Mets make it, I never liked the Cards (I hate Pujols). Mets-Tigers would be fun to watch.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

HOLY CRAP ENDY IS AWESOME!!!!!!!

[a few hours later]

THAT SUCKS!!! I hate the Cards (have since I was a kid), but don't want the team that beat the Yanks (hate them more) to win it all. I guess you have to root for the guys who beat you, but I don't think the Cards can beat the Tigers.

[ October 20, 2006, 05:59: Message edited by: Klorox ]

6. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

So much for history repeating itself.

7. DarkStrider

I'm gutted, that after all the heroics we're not going to the Series. Still if we can do this without our starting pitchers, and if wew pick up at least 1 more starter and we can keep the rest healthy, then next season could be better still. We have a lot of positives to build on for next year, not bad for a team that 2 years ago finished 71-91.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The similarities between the Mets and Yankees were extreme this year. Both featured flawed/injured pitching staffs with boatloads of hitting. In the regular season, even if you have below average pitching, you can win a lot of games by just out slugging your opponents. Unfortunately, that strategy tends not to work as well or at all once you get to the playoffs. The problem that both those teams faced was if they didn't score at least 5 runs a game, they couldn't win. And it's damn hard to score 5 runs a game consistently in the playoffs.

As for what the Mets need - yes obviously pitching, and I'd argue that they probably need TWO starting pitchers. Mayne has proven himself enough that they can insert him into the starting rotation next year. However El Duque is getting old - what is he about 40 now? And Martinez might be done. I know he still has two years left on his contract, but there's simply no way that guy can start pitching in April and still be going strong in October. One thing I might recommend for Martinez is the Clemens solution - don't start pitching until June or July so you're still strong for the stretch run and the playoffs.

Your ace pitcher typically starts 35-37 games a year for your team during the regular season. Martinez can't do that anymore. There is a zero percent chance that he is capable of pitching even 30 games a year anymore. I think the Mets seriously have to evaluate what they want to do with him. I think they would be better off getting 20-25 quality starts per year rather than pushing him and having him break down in the fall again. Of course, the only way you can do that is if you don't pitch him every 5th day.

As for the inappropriately named World Series: I'll take the Tigers in 5.

9. DarkStrider

I agree Aldeth Hernandez is 'Officailly' 40thoug it is actually uncertain as to his real age, Glavine may have 1 or 2 seasons left, Martinez should follow the Rocket's example and start on the 60 day DL, maine has done a good job and has got better. Trachsel still doesn't do enough, so really to make it good we need 3 new pitchers all proven starters, to ehlp the offence out when they don't fire on all cylinders.

As for the series yep Tigers in 5, Carpenter to win his 1st game.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Bloody hell - I had completely forgot about Glavine. He's over 40 too. He can start to go downhill at any time. So yeah, that takes you up to needing 3 pitchers. Of course, you're still not in as bad of shape as the Yankee's pitching staff. Look at them: thier starting five this year was supposed to be Mussina, Johnson, Wang, Pavano and Wright, although they ended up using Lidle instead of Pavano because Pavano was hurt all year. Let's evaluate, shall we:

Mussina: Still capable although certainly not a #1 starter any more. Good enough as a #3, but clearly not a shut down pitcher at this point in his career. His contract expired at the end of the season. That having been said, you're not going to find someone better at this time, so he'll probably be offered a new contract.

Johnson: The guy looks washed up. In the span of two years his fastball went from 97 mph down to 90 mph, which is obviously a huge difference. He's got a year left in his current contract, so he too will likely be back, with the probability being he will be worse, not better than last year.

Wang: Probably the best pitcher on the staff right now, although still not #1 material. At best he's a #2, and more likely a #3.

Wright: Simply put, he sucks. He can't give you more than 5 innings, so he wears down your bullpen, and isn't particularly good the brief time he actually pitches. Unfortunately, he's also got a year left on his contract.

Pavano: He's pitched about 5 games since he came to the Yankees 2 years ago. I think the Yankees definitely want to recoup some of what they sunk into him. He's been paid $20 million the last two years, didn't pitch a single game this year, and only a few appearances the previous year before getting hurt.

Lidle: Well, he's dead. His contract expired after the season, as did he, but truth be told he probably wasn't going to be back anyway.

So to recap, you have old, old, servicable, bad, alway hurt, and dead - not a good combination.

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Aldeth, Pedro Martinez had shoulder surgery. The earliest he'll be back is at the All Star Break, and that's unlikely.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.