1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How far do you go (personally) in a forum?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Apeman, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Say you have two different sorts of people.

The other one is a successful person with loads of friends, hobbies etc that include other people. He goes out a lot and he trusts and is trusted by people around him.

Then you have someone who is very isolated from the rest of the society. Maybe she was mobbed back in school or something. Whatever the reason, all she really has is her computer and a selected few friends, most of which are rather reserved around other people just like her.

Don't you think the two of these would have a very different way of viewing potential social relationships over the net? For the other one, it would be a mere extension to his normal doings. For the other one, it could well be the only "safe" socializingplace in the world.

Possibilities all, of course. But that's what this is about isn't it? If someone wants for help and support even when you don't, let them. If the information is too personal, then hope it isn't so personal it will end up harming them. But if it just bothers you to read something like that, then don't. And if someone is insulted by the answers they get to their rather personal thread, then hopefully they've learned something both from themselves and from the people around them in the boards.

I've always been the one to wonder about the personal level of these boards to some people. But only recently I realised that although I was quite the social individual as a kid, I haven't made a single new friend in the last 4 years. Not one. And I don't have that many to begin with, even if they are all good friends. Even though that's all only to be expected from what my life has been like during those years (and it's heading for a change now, I hope), I'm starting to feel the effect of the lack of new relationships. Just some new people to talk to. There's nothing wrong if someone wants to find them here.

2. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I have nothing to hide. So I don't really care.

3. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

I'm sorry, but could anyone link to the post by Lady Luthien, mentioned by Apeman? I would like to know what triggered this discussion.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

5. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, when I started my divorce last year, I had a lot of friends trying to help me, but yet it was nice to have the support of the people here -- a lot of people gave me a boost and a listening ear -- people like Death Rabbit, Mathetais, Shell, Rallymama, and many others, they really kept me going, and let me tell you, a few times the medicine cabinet called my name -- maybe some would say that's too much info, but it's the truth and the people here helped me avoid doing something stupid. No words can tell how much I appreciated that.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Having been away from SP for a while I'm getting caught up. Just saw Lady Luthien's post.

I belong to another board and am a mod on a couple of forums. I'm rather suprised at the reaction to her post. I've seen a lot of personal things on this board. On the forums I mod we get involved with each other's problems, too.

I agree with Splunge (and others). As long as it doesn't break forum rules what you post is your business. I don't have to read or respond.

By the way, Tal, I like the new look.

[ July 26, 2004, 00:04: Message edited by: Nakia Nightshadow ]

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sometimes it is easier to talk to a stranger who you probably won't meet. Friends and family are good for talking to and helping you but sometimes it isn't always enough, or you'd feel embaressed to tell them things.

Sometimes I think I go too far and look back and wonder 'Why on Earth did I write that??' but in real life there is no edit button ;)

8. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

No Edit button in real life conversations, that is so true. Sometimes I wish there where But I think there is only one action that I would change.. Just one....

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I'll share some things privately with people from here, but there's little about my personal life posted on the boards that isn't known to friends and family IRL. Being almost twice as old as most of you and in a different stage of life I sometimes wonder how much interest there is here in issues that the general membership can't relate to. Others may push that envelope but I don't care to.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.