1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How many books have you read in the past year?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I've probably red about 100 books in the past year, maybe more. I read about two books in a week, but sometimes more.

2. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Golly, you 'crazy readers' lol. I can Barely find time to play crpg's. I like to read but I like crpg's just a tiny bit more so I do that more often. When I do read however, I usually read about half way through the average book in one or two sittings and finish them fairly quickly. I would read more if I had time. But heck, who has that.

3. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Maybe someone could make a study on the average books_per_year_read dependant on readers age.

I would say, that for me it looks like:

• 6 - 8: 150+ books per year - many had only few pages, but I also had a sci-fi books about 200-300 pages at age about 8 - lot of time to read ...
    • 9 - 13: 100+ books per year - less time, school, school friends, ...
    • 14 - 21: 120+ books per year - started to read computer manuals, computer language theory books, big fan of sci-fi and got some money to buy books ... and plenty of time too
    • 22 - 27: 50+ books per year - some serious computer working (semiprofessional)
    • 28 - 33: 30- books per year (not counted various studies, analysis, and presentation materials) - hard core programmer in big software house, later DB architect, quality manager ...

no wife, no children, no time to read books ... it's terrible and the rest of the free time spent writing this post ... ;)

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I can't read. I get them all on tape.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

About 40 different books. These include all of the Wheel of Time series, several course books, manuals, and some sci-fi/fantasy. That´s the saldo of last year.

6. Woody Woodrow Banned

Oh god about 190 rangeing everything from Stephan King to Dragonlance.

7. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

MANY!
    Just can't count all of them.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    As of the past year, I'd guess... 200. There was a time when I managed to read probably approximately 500 books during an year, but I did nothing more than go to school and read :D

If all the stuff I read over the 'net was put on book form (amateur author works) the number would probably be a lot higher...

I can, after all, read 250 pages in an hour. 300 if I cram. But where's the fun in it?

:D :D :D

(Elrond... would you read aloud for me?)

9. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I read HP IV in 6 hours and once I read HP I,II and III in one day.

And let's say, I have some 200 books, add those what are not mine... Say 270-280.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Last year? Hmm, 10 or something. some of them (such as Hitch Hiker's Guide to The Galaxy and LoTR) were sort of "many-books-in-one" types. The year before that it was somewhere around 20 I think. I have a problem with getting stuck with anything interesting that I start doing, -and books are something you can do just about anywhere- so I try to avoid getting into them too much as it severely hinders my work and studying.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.