1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I got a Problem...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Icingdeath45, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

oh i know, i've been talking to her on AIM to see what she's like, and if i decide it would never work, i'd let her know as easy as i could

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Don't try to make it too easy, though, if you're going to take any advice, anyway. Getting it through is top priority here. Unfinished business is kind of bad for health.

3. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31

You realize this is pathetic? i'm taking advice from a bunch of strangers (no offense, i'm sure you're all nice people here) about my personal life, lol. Thanks anyway, but i'll follow my own path.

4. chevalier

Media:
    That's actually what I'm trying to achieve when working on you :p

5. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31

I see. Well, in that case, thanks chev :rolleyes:

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You can never have too much advice ... well you can but lets not go into that.

The idea of advice from my experience, is that it is just someones opinion on the matter and what they would do if they were in your shoes. Now advice shouldn't really force you to do this or the other, it should just help show you more pathways in which to choose from. Have I lost you yet? Thought so.

Anyway, the point is, is that accept free advice, after all it is free but the decision is yours and yours alone and what you do with it wil lrest upon your shoulders and not ours... after all, it is like you said, we are strangers lol :p

7. chevalier

Media:
    Exactly. The most important but largely unseen purpose of advice is to build confidence. Men are a whole lot more effective if they are confident.

Another purpose is to give you ideas. Here's the trap: no one says you have follow advice. It doesn't compel you to do anything anyhow. Essentially, more people means more ideas. By giving advice, someone simply indicates a possibility. In most cases, the person thinks what he would do if he were in your shoes and that's it, but people who know you better, or people who have enough insight, they might give some more personalised advice. Even if they would actually do something else in a similar situation.

Yet another purpose is helping you visualise different perspective and exercise different approach, in a way broadening your horizons. That's always a good thing. Makes you think and ask questions, which is also a good thing.

Ultimately, people who give you advice, in most case, are both sympathetic towards you and emotionally uninvolved. They wish you good, but they are able to stay focused on the actual problem instead of being driven by violent emotions or torn apart by a broken heart. I would call that benevolent objectivism. It normally requires a tremendous load of distance and serenity to take such a stance towards yourself. Also, such a distance towards your own life is not what most people would want. And certainly it's not good for most people, anyway.

Personally, when I ask advice, I mostly do that when I need objective, impartial observations. For example when I have to evaluate myself and want to avoid both false modesty and false confidence. Brainstorming idea is also a good thing. Sometimes, I also need a heavy battletesting of my ideas. A merciless assault on my logic, a vicious attack on my moral stance, whatever I need to strengthen confidence in my ideas or to update them. However, I ultimately heed my own reason and my own conscience. That's because ultimately I am responsible.

Hope it helps you somehow ;)

8. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31

chev, you talk too much, lol

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    And that concludes this weeks lesson on gratefulness! :p

10. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31

is that sarcastic or not? if you're saying i wasnt grateful, i did say thanks

11. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Sounds like sarcasm. Also note the smiley: :p

12. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Indeed, but out of that post of his is a page worth of experience, understanding and, here comes the cliche - advice :p

Now talking about random poo is one thing, talking about random poo with actual substance is another. And I believe that Chev is full of the latter yes :)

Me and Chev could start up an advice agencey (sp) or something :)

Anyway, consider what we've said (concerning me, I mean my previous post to this one)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.