1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I have accumulated many many potions when do I use them?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by kin hell, Apr 5, 2007.

1. kin hell Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'd do it but I've never got my console to work, It should be working in Easy TuTu yes?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

I've never liked high level play. For most systems, being higher level either means battles take longer while you're slowly wearing each other down, or you're doing ridiculous amounts of damage to speed it up (or in some systems, both). Constant escalation gets fairly boring after a while. 2e is a lot better than just about any system I've played at avoiding this, and TBH it's really not that bad at BG1 levels. The problem arrives with Sarevok and his cronies.

Angelo's Arrows of Detonation are uninterruptable Fireballs, and Sarevok is cheesed up five ways from Sunday with a ridiculously low THAC0 and high number of attacks (not to mention the haste on both of them, but that can be dispelled). While there is something to be said for a tough fight, especially for the 'end boss', I'm not fond of fighting a battle where I can't actually stand and fight because they turned one of them into a juggernaut. Leading Sarevok around by the nose while you pelt him or watching him tear through an army of skeletons (also while pelting him) is only fun the first half-dozen times.
    Since it uses the BG2 engine, you have to use the method you use to get the console in BG2. Here are the details. There are two methods in there for activating the cheats, and I'd suggest just doing both (never heard of any problems from doing both, and it's guaranteed to work).

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm with Felinoid with the high level play. I find developing my character(s) more interesting than when they get up to the super-hero level. At that point I just want to get the game over. So I save up some of the fancier potions for later on just in case.

When I first started cRPG games I tended to save my potions now I use them, store them or sell them.

4. kin hell Gems: 2/31

Felinoid and Nakia I do remember towards the end of IWD and IWDII my party started powering through any and all opposition except for the periodic main battles per map/area, and it was those larger events that kept me interested> I agree that the building/management of developing characters is the fun key bit, but to test them out with true Test To Destruction process is good fun and almost necessary to see how good your construction process has been.

But artificial juggernaut cheesed to minor deity status as sudden enemy yeah thats unfortunate.

It is decades since I played In the Labrynth, but I seem to remember the DM"s directions being that you were in the interest of good fair gameplay not allowed to suddenly teleport/transport any character to a hermetically sealed underground chamber with no entrance or exit.

Any character, high level or not, that requires cheese to defeat, or engine manipulation etc is a bit unfortunate.

So what's your thoughts on coming back from a reload all buffed up for the fight you now understand/know about? Is this cheese manouvers?

@Felinoid your gracious link above 404'd me (Page not found) could you re-direct me as I have no hesitancy in consoling myself with a few bags and cases.

Money too is an odd one in these games (no complaint) but early tight, hard to find, then suddenly you're permanently walking around with 50K+ in hand often nothing you need or want to spend it on.

Another query folks I bought the 4DVD package no BG manual and the whole thing loaded as Easy TuTu. Where did original BG end and ToSC start then end, Then BG2 then ToB?

thank you thank you thank you

5. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

My humble guess on what Felinoids link would look like would be this

6. kin hell Gems: 2/31

Thanks Shaitan I'll go and see if I can get it going.

I noticed you use SCS mod too. I think the extra difficulty is tempting from what you and Felinoid both say. I'll have to give it a go, never played a mod apart from EasyTuTu.

Quite remarkable the amount of exploring/styling/variation you can do in BG BG2 eh?

edit!!!I CAN BE A CRETIN SOMETIMES! didn't think to place required Cheats=1 etc in TUTU folder instead of BG2 folder did I? I have been cursing not having ctrl+J for 100s of kilometres. NOW THE WORLD IS MINE BRUUUUHAHAHAHAAAAAHHHHHHH!

thanks team for perservering.

[ April 08, 2007, 11:28: Message edited by: kin hell ]

7. cmorgan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You can also use the BG2 Tweak Pack on EasyTutu games (*not* the Fixpack -- Macready is busily migrating over fixes but that one should not be installed on EasyTutu). The BG2 Tweak Pack allows you to add Bags of Holding to Tutu/EasyTutu, which nets you a purchaseable scroll case, potion bag, bag of holding, and ammo belt at various stores (one each in any one game). It also provides an option to make them all bottomless.

I rarely use potions on a non-SCS game until I get to The Grey Clan Episode 1, at which point I am tossing them out so fast I burn through almost every potion I have collected in a bottomless potion bag. I have not completed a Sword Coast Stratagems-enhanced game with The Graey Clan yet - it was installed, but I was using every potion I could, every scroll I could, and spending every dime to get more just to deal with the tougher end battles, so for the first time in several years I have delayed TGCEp1 until I have some extra levels and have finished stripping Durlag's Tower and stocking up.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

There are no bags in vanilla BG1. If you have Easy TuTu then, you are already using BG2 engine so you can CLUA console BG2 only items to your BG1-Easy TuTu game. BG2 cheats work for BG1 Easy TuTu game.

Have fun!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.