1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I QUIT!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 6, 2007.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You're a source of inspiration to all us would-be non-smokers :) .

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yay! Well done, man!

Now which of your following addictions is the one you'll quit with now? Crack, Alcohol, Gambling, Opium, Green Gear, Pr0nsurfing or Cocain again? :p

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Congratulations!

[ Deleted. ]

[ September 05, 2007, 17:21: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

4. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You're doing spectacularly well, Aldeth! if only I had your willpower [I'm sure some people will remember my attempt bwaha]

Keep up the good work! :thumb:

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Looks good so far, Aldeth.

It's a perpetual battle, however. Don't get cocky, or you'll fall off the wagon faster than you can say it.

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    One good trick is to tell as many people as possible that you've quit. It will be so much worse if you start again, with all the people you have to tell that you couldn't make it.

So, opening this thread was a brilliant first move! :)

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Doing well yanky pank. You're a bigger man than me. My 'quits' last until about 2 beers in.

[ September 05, 2007, 21:25: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well that's the other thing - I never was a heavy drinker but I always smoked when I did drink. Since my kid arrived, I'm not going out drinking. In fact, I've only had about two beers in the last two weeks. Drinking and smoking go hand-in-hand for me, and so naturally, I've tried to avoid both.

The big challenge will come this weekend, when I'm off with two of my college buds who I haven't seen in years to a football (american) game. I'm the first of my close group of friends to have a kid, and so principally, they are coming in to see the baby, but I'm sure adding a game to the agenda was never a bad thing.

9. Urithrand

Media:
    Since you had so much luck, Aldeth, I decided to quit again too, and I'm proud to say I have now been smoke free for 6 weeks (Well, I will be tomorrow.)

Well there was a slight slip a couple of weeks ago where I had a few puffs but am proud to say it didn't drag me back in and I'm now what I consider to be "in the clear". Incidentally, I don't actually feel any better, but I'm holding out hoping for great bursts of health in the future!

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Great work.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Urithrand,

I don't feel any better either. I notice that I tend to cough a bit less than I used to, but in terms of overall health, I don't feel any better (or worse)today than I did back in July. That, however, shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. Almost all of the detrimental effects of smoking only manifest themselves over the long term.

I've talked about lung recovery from smoking with some doctors, and the general consensus is that it takes about 7 YEARS for the lungs of a pack a day smoker to fully recover. You've only been off them for a few weeks, and I for a few months, so perhaps the longer term health benefits won't be apparent to either of us for quite some time yet.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Anyone got any fags? I'm bostin' for a drag.

14. Urithrand

Media:
    Ha ha Barmy :p Aldeth, that's true, and I suppose one thing I did neglect to mention is how much healthier my wallet feels ever since :D

15. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Well, for awhile there, the only thing I was smoking was punk-ass fools, but alas, I'm back to playing cancer roulette.

16. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Good job Urithrand... and congrats again to Aldeth for sticking with this for so long!

In the incredibly wise and eloquent words of Mr. Macke (Southpark), "Smoking's bad. You shouldn't smoke."

17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Aldeth and Urithrand: Just don't forget to keep an eye on your weight. I gained 5-10 kilograms after quitting :o - fortunately I was able to shred most of it again by cleaning up my diet. :)

18. Urithrand

Media:
    Hehe, gaining weight is certainly not an issue for me, I'm about 20 lbs underweight lmao

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.