1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Infidelity

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Gaear, Feb 7, 2011.

?

The Infidelity Poll

1. I know of married men who have cheated on their wives with other women

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. I know of married men who have cheated on their wives with other men

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. I know of married women who have cheated on their husbands with other men

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  4. I know of married women who have cheated on their husbands with other women

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. I know of straight men who have cheated on their girlfriends with other women

23 vote(s)
    85.2%
  6. I know of straight men who have cheated on their girlfriends with other men

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. I know of straight women who have cheated on their boyfriends with other men

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. I know of straight women who have cheated on their boyfriends with other women

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  9. I know of gay men who have cheated on their boyfriends with other men

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  10. I know of gay men who have cheated on their boyfriends with women

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  11. I know of gay women who have cheated on their girlfriends with other women

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  12. I know of gay women who have cheated on their girlfriends with men

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I second other concerns about sample size and population, but if you're aware of and OK with them, then I've added mine. Looking at the results, a trend is already appearing. Though, of course, that may only mean that people hiding their sexuality from their significant others are also good at hiding it from other people.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cheaters are bad, naughty, evil, wicked people who don't care for their kids and kick puppies.

Puh-lease.

Grow up.

People cheat for a lot of reasons but nearly universally the relationship is over long before the cheating started (except for open relationships). I can think of less painful ways to end a relationship but all divorces and breakups are painful. Having said that, my wife and I both feel infidelity is a "game over" hit.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hey, wait, they kick PUPPIES!!?? What do they do to kittens? Jeez, you would think they would be happy just screwing with their own species.

Gaear - not sure what you were hoping to get from this, but it's pretty solid as far as percentages go -- you generally don't switch teams halfway through the game.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If the relationship is over then get the f&*k out of it. I happen the think that someone who cheats on their spouse is a pretty screwed up person, in fact. Get your crap in order. Get out of the relationship... then start your next relationship. And a little tip to all the people who get into relationships with cheaters... you're next!

But don't listen to me, as apparently the many lessons I learned from my own parents on what not to do (lived through 5 divorces and many more break ups growing up) and the plethora of cheating related breakups I've observed from others I've known should be chalked up to me not being "grown up". Fantastic! Would I somehow be more grown up in your eyes Bruno if I went out and cheated on my wife of 9 years (more than 11 years together), put my family through a year or so of utter hell while the cheating became completely apparent... and then went and got my own place, while my soon to be ex-wife and children lived somewhere else?

How about this... I submit that those who lack the ability to respect the sanctity of their marriage vows and cheat are in need of a bit of growing up.

Sometimes the comments from some of the established board members here boggle my mind. Oh, okay, so they cheated because they had a "good reason." Thanks for clearing that up, really. Forgive me if I forget to hit the rep button to acknowldge the great wisdom you've shared with us all.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, that's pretty self-righteous. I did not say "good reasons", I simply said "reasons". While I do not condone infidelity I am also not willing to condemn a person for it. I have also seen a lot in my life and have no interest in villifying people based on something I neither have any knowledge about nor is it any of my business. So be blunt what goes on between two people is their business, not anyone elses -- it sucks when children are dragged into it (like a very young T2 and his sisters).

Had the ex-Mrs Bruno chosen to end the relationship with "honey, I don't love you and want you the hell out of my life" it would have been a bit easier than her deciding to leave me and our children to pursue extra-curricular activities at the university. It really sucked that both the kids were already having issues with depression, my daughter was borderline suicidal, and I was dealing with PTSD -- those were things the ex really didn't consider at the time and didn't care about (after all she was in love). But the marriage was already dead by that point -- she simply dismembered the body, soaked it in lye and then burned what was left.

No, I'm not bitter.

And I'm not willing to condemn every cheater. However, for Mrs Bruno and myself infidelity is a deal breaker and would end the marriage.

Blades of Vanatar and LKD like this.
  6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    T2, I'm not really sure what exactly you'd see as acceptable cheating... I'm really struggling to find some excuse where one partner shouldn't feel guilty for cheating on the other who doesn't. Maybe if the said partner was physically abusive? Definitely a very short list though.

I mean, I know that psychiatrists get their patients to cope with infidelity by reducing it to something that should be shrugged off so that people can get on with their lives (probably the only way forward in most instances), but the bottom line is, it is still one of the worst betrayals of trust possible. So why exactly shouldn't it be condemnable? This indifference towards cheating is a modern concept that I really have no clue what it's based on. I guess if you reduce marriage or partnership to something with no real meaning or commitment (i.e. just empty words, promises and ritual), it's somehow understandable. But if that was the case with both partners, they'd have an "open" relationship. If they don't, one of them is intentionally being dishonest and deceitful.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I don't agree with that basic premise, T2. I've kown some realtionships that have survived it. Of course, a lot depends on if the other partner finds out about it. For many it is a deal breaker, but I've known a few intances in which the other partner never found out, at least that I know of. The cheating stopped and the relationship went on. Relationships are far more organic than we would like to believe they are [by that I mean to say that they have a life of their own, apart from how we try to control them]. A realtionship may appear dead, but it can come back to life and become very strong again.

8. T2Bruno

Media:
    I would agree with that Chandos. To comment to you and Tal, I've seen a lot of people go down that path. In the military, where families are separated for six months or more, there is a lot of stress and temptation (I guess there's a lot of temptation everywhere, though). Other than the open relationships (which I've seen many), in general infidelity is a symptom of greater problems. It's usually (but not always) the last act of defiance or a last fence to cross before ending the relationship. Usually infidelity is the death blow to a relationship but sometimes is can wake up the person to fully realize what they could lose. I've seen it go both ways.

I've seen a lot of really good people make this kind of mistake, I've seen people in absolutely miserable relationships turn somewhere else for comfort and I've seen absolute jerks take advantage of every situation they could. I've worked side-by-side with these people and know, while this kind of thing can affect their integrity and happiness, infidelity does not define the person (although sometimes it is a big indicator of their quality). While I would not condone infidelity, I also will not condemn someone for something I'm really not going to know anything about. And I've certainly been on the bad side of this situation as both an adult and child.

9. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    A few followups ...

Is that really so (the promiscuity thing)? I would have been afraid to say such a thing out loud regardless, lol.

What trend do you see?

You guys seem reluctant to come right out with it. :p (j/k) What is solid, that there are fewer same sex affairs?

~

@Marceror and T2 - I sympathize with both of you. I think people internalize profound stress such as you've experienced in different ways, which may lead to the different 'end products' we see in you today as adults. I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist and I don't know what those ways might be, but it isn't terribly surprising to me that you could be on separate ends of the spectrum while having experienced similar trauma.

I think that people who have never experienced it tend to underestimate the impact it has. It's not something you just magically 'get over' one day or brush aside. The scars can run deep-deep-deep, and sometimes the wounds are never really healed. Children suffering collateral damage from this sort of thing is indeed a [brace yourself for melodrama] 'tragedy.'

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What is solid is that, most of the time, cheaters cheat on their spouse/significant other with someone of the same gender as that spouse/significant other -- hence my comment re not switching teams mid-game.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    But is it really justifiable in any way? People can't communicate their unhappiness with a relationship or pluck up the courage to let their partner know that the relationship is over BEFORE having sex with somebody else? Most of the cheating that I've heard about was done in such a way that the partner had no idea that it was happening - not as a "final blow". There are plenty of cheaters who are perfectly happy to have a lover on the side with no intention of ending the marriage, for instance. The age-old stereotype of the cheating husband who keeps promising the mistress that he'll leave his wife with no real intention of ever doing it, for instance.

It's not PC to admit it, but any honest gay should be able to confirm it. Of course, officially this will never be admitted for obvious reasons. And there's also the question of whether gay promiscuity is simply more open as opposed to the concealed cheating typical of heterosexual partnerships, but it's there nonetheless. There's really a lot of material on this subject if you care to research it. Unfortunately most of the studies come from either one or the other side of the spectrum (various churches or religious groups vs. gays themselves), but the more credible and better researched studies do stand out.

Here's a pretty well-researched white paper on the subject: http://www.corporateresourcecouncil.org/white_papers/Health_Risks.pdf

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Overall, I have a hard time respecting people who cheat. I think the marriage vows are sacred and special. I have very little time for the excuses made by cheaters.

I also believe that it is often not just between the two people involved. There's the person cheated with, there's the children, there's the family and friends caught in the middle . . . it's not just a victimless act.

At the same time, there's more to a person than one act, no matter how low that act is. I can see T2Bruno's point about not totally condemning someone based on one facet of their life only.

The problem is, whether it's logical or not, whether it's fair or not, many people feel that if you break one promise you will break another. Therefore, by that thought process, which I tend to adhere to, if you are willing to betray the person to whom you voluntarily stood up in front of witnesses and made a semi-legal contract with to be faithful until the end of your days, the person you told the world you love above all others, then you are very likely to betray other people to whom you have a less firm bond.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps it's more open than in hetero relationships because until recently, gays have no been able to marry, and I think there are many who feel that infidelity towards a g/f or b/f is "less bad" than towards a husband or wife.

14. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Bruno, my apologies if I came off a bit self righteous. I did mention that this topic was a hot button for me, and my reply to you reflects that, I think. I also happen to be fiercely committed to making my marriage last until I'm old and gray. I know this won't happen by accident, or as a result of indifference, so perhaps I've become a tad dogmatic about protecting the institution. Marital infidelity happens to be one of the big potential stumbling blocks to that pursuit, so if I do end up condemning a few cheaters in an effort to keep my own marriage, my family, whole, then so be it. To me that is a price of no consequence. And for what it's worth, I don't necessarily condemn "a person" for cheating, but I do condemn the act.

If this makes me an old fashioned old coot, then fine, just call me cooter! :p

15. T2Bruno

Media:
    I think saying "I'm not willing to condemn someone for infidelity" is a lot like saying I'm pro-choice. If I'm not completely against something, then I must be for it.

If your not anti-abortion you must like abortion you damned baby killer!​

If your not anti-infidelity you must like cheating you damned adulterer!​

That's flawed logic (by a few, but not everyone).;)

16. Marceror

Media:
    For my part, I wasn't taking exception to the idea that you "weren't condemning" cheaters, but that you seemed to regard (presumably my) harsh view about cheating as a product of immaturity. It's anything but. Largely because of my parents' cheating I was forced to grow up real young, real fast... so I took exception to being told to "grow up."

17. T2Bruno

Media:
    Duly noted Marceror and to be honest I did think that ... although I would have said "inexperience" rather than "immaturity". I apologize for that.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

As for gay promiscuity, my former mother in law (Doris) is a lesbian. She once told me a joke:

Q: What do two gay people do on a second date?

A: What's a second date?

Now studies may prove that gays are a lot less promiscuous than what is bandied about. But the perception that gays are quite promiscuous is firmly embedded not only in the hetero community, but also in the gay community. More serious discussions with Doris reinforced this, as well as a few I had with some of her male homosexual friends and with other gay people I have met in my travels.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Getting back to infedility itself. You will see many relationships weather it. Sometimes the partner will forgive. Other times, you will see the victim turn into another person and make life miserable for their cheating partner. Instead of leaving them, they make them pay. For years and years. You can see it with many older couples as an example. Many of them lived in different times where divorce was frowned upon and wasn't an option socially unless you were willing to be looked at in a different light. Today's world hasd a whole differnet view on divorce. It seems like it is accepted. nowadays.

20. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    There are fewer same-sex relationships overall. What I see is that there are fewer affairs involving a transition from one sexuality to another. Men married to women generally cheat with women. Women dating other women generally cheat with other women. Men dating men aren't too likely to cheat with women instead of men.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.